Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Is the push rod from pedal to lever straight or does it have a bend in it at all other than the two 90deg at either end ?

Straight I believe.

panel wrote:
Also is/does the lever under the bus have a 90deg 'V' shape to it or or are some less/more of and an angle ?

55-67 are darn close to an "L" shape

68 - 79 Bay buses are a more pronounced "V" shape
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
panel wrote:
Is the push rod from pedal to lever straight or does it have a bend in it at all other than the two 90deg at either end ?

Straight I believe.

panel wrote:
Also is/does the lever under the bus have a 90deg 'V' shape to it or or are some less/more of and an angle ?

55-67 are darn close to an "L" shape

68 - 79 Bay buses are a more pronounced "V" shape

Yes, straight and 90 degree ends.

From earlier in this thread
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Can someone point me in the direction of which is the correct boot/seal for the accelerator cable on a '63 bus?

Its #70 in this diagram, part number 111-721-551

The closest thing I could find is the bay window version but I don't know what the correct one is supposed to look like.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

For the part # you mentioned:

It's a throttle/accelerator cable tube used in the rear.

Here's an ad I grabbed from the classifieds:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2243197

Here's a longer thread about it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211689

Wolfsburg West listing with later part #

Manual composite photo someone created (for a Bug):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

ah ok. what I'm looking for is the little black boot that seals the steel tube that the cable goes through at the front of the bus. My new throttle cable has a little nipple on it for one (maybe I have the wrong cable). I figured there has to be some kind of seal there to prevent crud from getting into that cable tube.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

I don't think there is one up front for the accelerator cable.

I'm curious what the nipple is though, can you post a pic?
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Hello there, dragging an old thread into the light.

I recently saw an advertisement for an accelerator pedal/cable link that goes under the floor. It was a stout affair and was made by an aftermarket company in the UK. It had a sealed pivot bearing.

This link looks to be very nicely made. But, I can’t remember the name of the company or where I saw it.

Anybody out there know what it is that I saw? I would like contact info so I can order one. I will write a report when I get one.

Thanks, Chuey
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Buttys Bits
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
Buttys Bits

https://www.buttysbits.com/product-category/splitscreen/throttle-kits-and-cable-rollers/

https://www.restobusparts.com/products/throttle-pedal-kit-for-60-to-67-buses-by-buttys-bits
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Gotta do it!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

just bought that, looks very nice
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

looks groovy, but does it work a million times better than a stock set-up (with added spring for comparison; I think a spring can be added to a stock set-up easily)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
looks groovy, but does it work a million times better than a stock set-up (with added spring for comparison; I think a spring can be added to a stock set-up easily)?

Night and day difference. easily the best aftermarket part out there.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Bring up another older thread, I went out and looked at my 67 westy this evening the the L linkage is on the outside of the bracket. Just my .02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

My J bracket is breaking at the pivot hole. It is one wiggle away from becoming two pieces.

What is the best way to fix this? There isn't a lot of room in the area to work.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

dlicious wrote:
My J bracket is breaking at the pivot hole. It is one wiggle away from becoming two pieces.

What is the best way to fix this? There isn't a lot of room in the area to work.

Are you referring to the J shaped channel with the bolt through it in this photo? If so, you need a welder.

Two Glove Boxes wrote:

dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Are you referring to the J shaped channel with the bolt through it in this photo? If so, you need a welder.

Yes, thats it. Ill post a picture up this afternoon when I take the linkage apart and clean it up to see what exactly is going on.
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Pics as promised....

It split right across the hole. Previous owner had done some work on this as I remember. I installed the Butty's Bitz linkage about 7 years ago and love it.
Fast forward to last weekend wondering why I'm having binding and the carb linkage not returning fully to idle.

I took a dremel and cleaned everything up.

I'm waiting for my new welding helmet to show up and then I'll put a tack on each side of the hole. Needle nose pliers holds it in place nicely for the hot work.

Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Just popping in to say thanks for those who contributed to this thread. It was incredibly helpful. I finally got a repair kit to help correct shoddy repairs from 20 or so years ago. I can't believe this pile of soap metal heald together and even seemed to function ok, for that long.

Here are a few before and after photos.

Before. Note the nail that has bee holding thing together since my broth in laws, dad "fixed" it about 20 years ago.

My scrap pile. I may bag it up and hang it in the shop as a reminder to not ignore things so long even if they seem to get you by.

Old VS New

Final install. L arm correctly mounted on the outside of the J bracket.

I've still got some work to do before I can hit the road again, but hand operation feels much better.

Thanks again to all!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Sanitary.

What year is your bus as your shifter looks like '66-'67 style.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: