Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Contact Christopher at T3 Technique. He lists the bolts on his website. Get the bolts and carefully cut the control arm free with a sawzall. Be careful not to cut the arm or the chassis. I’m fairly certain the bolt is seized to the bushing sleeves not the chassis. Once you have the arm cut free, you can press the bushings out of the control arm. Press in new ones. Hopefully the remaining piece of bolt comes out of the chassis.

Freeing up frozen items usually takes a lot of heat. I would discourage trying to use a torch to free up the bolt especially on a 2wd. The fuel tank is right there. Good luck.

Buy the expensive sawzall blade- the one that costs 12 dollars, not the 3 that cost 15 dollars. I burned through the 3 cutting out 2 bolts, each took waaaay too long, then bought the 12 dollar one. The remaining bolts each took less than 30 seconds and the 12 dollar blade still has lots of life.
therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Contact Christopher at T3 Technique. He lists the bolts on his website. Get the bolts and carefully cut the control arm free with a sawzall. Be careful not to cut the arm or the chassis. I’m fairly certain the bolt is seized to the bushing sleeves not the chassis. Once you have the arm cut free, you can press the bushings out of the control arm. Press in new ones. Hopefully the remaining piece of bolt comes out of the chassis.

Freeing up frozen items usually takes a lot of heat. I would discourage trying to use a torch to free up the bolt especially on a 2wd. The fuel tank is right there. Good luck.
thanks!
therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Buy the expensive sawzall blade- the one that costs 12 dollars, not the 3 that cost 15 dollars. I burned through the 3 cutting out 2 bolts, each took waaaay too long, then bought the 12 dollar one. The remaining bolts each took less than 30 seconds and the 12 dollar blade still has lots of life.

Where exactly did you cut? I do not mind cutting the arm as I have a new one ready to go.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

therastavan wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Where exactly did you cut? I do not mind cutting the arm as I have a new one ready to go.

First, I should clarify- to be more specific, the total # of bolts I was cutting out included the lower control arm bolts, some front, all rear.

I had to cut out one upper control arm bolt, it was seized to the bushings.

There are good pictures in this thread of the same place I cut.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
Busfixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Question: I have a set of Syncro upper control arms and GoWesty ball joint spacers. Will the Syncro control arms fit a late model 2wd? I suspect no as the ball joint connection looks offset but thought I would ask my fellow Vanagon experts before springing for Burley’s UCA’s.

Thanks, Busfixer
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

No, you accurately inspected both parts Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

The Lemforder squeaks like crazy. Lasted half a year without any real mileage Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Next time drill and add a zerk fitting to grease them prior to mounting.
Or go PU and forget about it....
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

then I will need a grease gun and some rubber grease too Wink

I think my control arm is bent. There was quite a gap between the washer and the bushing before I have tightened the bolt. I bought a set of used ones to ease the change so I can compare.
The PU is not road legal here unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

There are different thickness washers available to adjust that gap. 3 thicknesses that give you quite a few combinations.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

I think my control arm is bent. There was quite a gap between the washer and the bushing before I have tightened the bolt. I bought a set of used ones to ease the change so I can compare.

The 2WD arm can compress, unlike the Syncro arm.

Powerflex is now making a stealth line, all black, just saying 😁😁
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
ZsZ wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

The 2WD arm can compress, unlike the Syncro arm.

Powerflex is now making a stealth line, all black, just saying 😁😁

Yes it can compress, but it adds more tension to the bushing when the gap is too big. I had around 5mm gap with the Lemforder and a bit less with the Meyle and the Febi before as I remember.

I have read some topics about Powerflex UCAB where the conclusion was they are softer than the OE style. But I am aware of the Powerflex heritage bushigs which are black, just not saw them yet in real.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Lemforder squeaks after a few thousand kms (2 months) Sad
I hope that only the weld spots gave up.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

No it's lack of greasing inside.

I added zerk fittings.
People have had good success with them in France on the forum.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice how the grease shot out the front side of the bushing here on above picture, it wasn't built properly....

I installed Meyle bushings recently, not my preferred choice as I hate this brand but they were free.

Dimensionally similar to stock ones, I don't understand why I had a
13 to 14mm gap to solve with eccentric washers. My UCA are straight, parallel, well lined up. ( I actually had to straighten one a bit)
I'm puzzled by this but made it work with 1 eccentric washer on one side and 2 one the other. The chassis width is 153mm here, it's constant on every van. My gap was 165mm at the Syncro UCA which I find a lot but it matched a stock 2WD arm.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

It was just the welds in my case:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ywHeP9zxYTpSaJGc7

Grease zerk is a good option but what grease to use?
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

I went through pretty much all the pages. So what is the consensus?

Which brand hold up the best?
Febi
Meyle
Lemforder
other?

And where do we find Zerk fittings?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

I'd still go polyurethane on any other van but my Syncro, the only reason I went with stock style is to be able to grease them without touching the alignment.
Zerk fittings are found at any hardware store or Napa for example.

There's another thread about fitment issues I posted on today. I installed Meyle, so far so good. Lemforders are supposed to be good too, but I'm not sure about sizes on the last batches....
They're all cheaply made anyway...
Febi is an ok brand too, I just saw some today on a van at the shop today as a matter of fact. A bit dry but holding up ok so far.

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

MrCarpy wrote:

Febi
Meyle
Lemforder
other?

The main problem is some brands are just boxing ones made somewhere unknown, then change supplier with time. Others who are manufacturing themself, change manufacturing plants with time.
And they have different suppliers/plants on different markets.

Like Lemforders were the best as they had the VW-Audi logo hand grinded and were made in Germany. Now they have no logo and are made in Turkey.
Meyle was good, then changed supplier, now it is crap.

The old OEM Lemforders lasted ~100k Kms, then I got Febi, lasted ~50k, Meyle ~2k, Now new Lemforders.
The spot weld did not penetrate into the bushing on the right side as the sleeve has some coating and made from some special steel recipe. Had welded in situ but they are still squeaking.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
MrCarpy wrote:

Febi
Meyle
Lemforder
other?

The main problem is some brands are just boxing ones made somewhere unknown, then change supplier with time. Others who are manufacturing themself, change manufacturing plants with time.
And they have different suppliers/plants on different markets.

Like Lemforders were the best as they had the VW-Audi logo hand grinded and were made in Germany. Now they have no logo and are made in Turkey.
Meyle was good, then changed supplier, now it is crap.

The old OEM Lemforders lasted ~100k Kms, then I got Febi, lasted ~50k, Meyle ~2k, Now new Lemforders.
The spot weld did not penetrate into the bushing on the right side as the sleeve has some coating and made from some special steel recipe. Had welded in situ but they are still squeaking.

AMEN
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
the only reason I went with stock style is to be able to grease them without touching the alignment.

ok your greasing them using the Zerk fitting correct?

ALIKA T3 wrote:

They're all cheaply made anyway...

It sadly seems so. Im on my second set in one year with very low millage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: