Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

There it goes, right down into the gas tank!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

My 64 deluxe is almost ready to be fully registered (currently registered as “non-operable”) and get on the road. That being said, I use a 5 gallon gas tank to put gas into the bus. Yesterday I went to put more gas in the bus and was tilting the gas can when all of the sudden the plastic nozzle from the can slid off and disappeared down into the gas tank! Sad So, my question: any ideas how to retrieve that nozzle without removing the engine and tank??? I ordered a 3 foot long “retrieval tool” from Amazon that has a claw like end. Maybe I will get lucky? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Do I just leave it for now?
Thanks, Brian
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

I don't think it will hurt should it stay in there.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

mdege wrote:

Ya, I agree, but just the fact that it’s in there!! Maybe the retrieval tool will work Rolling Eyes
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

mdege wrote:

I second this, but I probably would like to get this thing out there, too!

Just having the knowledge of a piranha swimming in the tank would drive me insane!

Maybe try with an endoscope?
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Tizian wrote:
mdege wrote:

I second this, but I probably would like to get this thing out there, too!

Just having the knowledge of a piranha swimming in the tank would drive me insane!

Maybe try with an endoscope?

Funny, I actually looked at endoscopes last night. They are ok for water, but now sure how it would do with gasoline.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

fill the tank completely and pluck it off the top when it floats to the top of the filler neck.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
fill the tank completely and pluck it off the top when it floats to the top of the filler neck.

Oooh, good idea! Thanks Lind!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Or... if you can’t fish it out, live with it until the next time the engine has to come out, then empty and pull the tank off. Confused

You know the engine WILL have to come out again at some point! Laughing
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Or... if you can’t fish it out, live with it until the next time the engine has to come out, then empty and pull the tank off. Confused

You know the engine WILL have to come out again at some point! Laughing

Oh God, I hope not!!! It’s a brand new engine and gas tank Rolling Eyes But you’re right, someday it will come out!
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Following on Lind's idea, I'd suggest jacking the car up on the passenger side so the filler-end of the tank is raised. (or park sideways on a steep hill or something) This way the cap, if it floats, will hopefully have an easier path to the top.

Good luck. You'll get it.

-Greg
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Wade wrote:
Following on Lind's idea, I'd suggest jacking the car up on the passenger side so the filler-end of the tank is raised. (or park sideways on a steep hill or something) This way the cap, if it floats, will hopefully have an easier path to the top.

Good luck. You'll get it.

-Greg

Another great idea! I’m feeling confident I might snag that nozzle out of the tank! My retrieval tool will arrive today:)
Thanks man!
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Keep us posted on how you make out lol. I feel for you though!
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
Keep us posted on how you make out lol. I feel for you though!

Haha, will do!
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

I'd try as Lind mentioned.... Then I'd probably end up pulling the whole lot apart. Shocked haha

But if i could give myself advice i'd just leave it until you do pull the engine out. It'll be fine, Its just a bit of plastic it cant do any harm.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

When I pulled the gas tank on my bus, I found a metal fuel spout from an old time gas pump in it. Who knows how long it had been in there, but it didn't effect anything negatively. If you can get it out, great, if not, don't worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

All I ever found in my tank is rust.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
I'd try as Lind mentioned.... Then I'd probably end up pulling the whole lot apart. Shocked haha

But if i could give myself advice i'd just leave it until you do pull the engine out. It'll be fine, Its just a bit of plastic it cant do any harm.

Good to know, but I’m still going to try to get it out!😜
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
All I ever found in my tank is rust.

Right??!!!😬
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
When I pulled the gas tank on my bus, I found a metal fuel spout from an old time gas pump in it. Who knows how long it had been in there, but it didn't effect anything negatively. If you can get it out, great, if not, don't worry about it.

That makes me feel better, thanks!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: There it goes, right down into the gas tank! Reply with quote

Somebody mentioned endoscopes? I've bought one of the cheapo ones that plugs into a phone. They do work, but very difficult to orient the image to understand what you are seeing.
Much nicer are the dedicated ones from Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, ETC. If you already have one of these systems and don't need the battery or charger, it is a pretty nice tool and you would likely find other uses for it.
If you have a friend that is an electrical or plumbing contractor, likely you could borrow one for an evening.
I don't think you will want it submerged in petrol, so you should plan on draining the tank before you go fishing.
Having a camera makes it easier.
Not sure that an old splitty tank has baffles. Later 1975 up Bay tanks do, tho.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: