Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal brake line to rear wheels
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekrossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Metal brake line to rear wheels Reply with quote

Anybody got some good advice on how to replace that long metal brake line that runs through the inside of the car? Body on car of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Metal brake line to rear wheels Reply with quote

I just did this Friday but without the body on the car. With the body on Oy Vey...

Of course you have to pull alot of the interior including your peddle assembly out. I would suggest pulling the old one by bending it in half in the cab to get it out. Then forming the ends of the new one based on the old and installing it the same way. Even with the body off i had to give the middle a bend to get it back in and i had to do some tweaking once installed.

If you were in So. Cal i have a good used one here...

Good Luck.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Metal brake line to rear wheels Reply with quote

Quote:
good advice

If you're using a stock line, straighten it out inside of the car.

I bought 3 short brake lines, that equals the stock length, from the LAPS and some couplings. That way if I 'kink' a line making the bends by the pedal or under the back seat I just have to replace a short piece. Plus, if it should rust again I just have to replace a short piece.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Metal brake line to rear wheels Reply with quote

Get a roll of 3/16” brake line, remove driver seat, back seat bottom, & carpet, & then remove the old line. Unroll about 2’ of the brake line, feed it through the grommets at the Napoleons hat (front pan support next to the master cylinder.). Shove about 1.5’ of that through, then unroll the coil, following the tunnel until you get to the hole in the rear pan support & cut the line about 6” beyond that hole.

Reuse the old flare fitting by sliding it over the line & then flare the line at the rear of the car & then start the flare nut in the union.

Once started, carefully bend, manipulate the line so that it follows the tunnel like the old one including the dogleg to the side of the pedal assembly (make sure that it doesn’t go under the clutch pedal as this can crimp or cut the new line when the pedal is depressed.).

After this is done, in the front fender well, bend the line so that it is pointed at the junction in the master cylinder & then cut the line where it will go into the master cylinder, slide the old fitting onto the line & then flare that end & then install that end into the master cylinder & tighten it up, go to the back & tighten that fitting. Bleed brakes, check for leaks & if good, reassemble interior

How to fabricate your own lines using commonly available 3/16” line & flaring tool from FLAPS.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752443

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: