Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car port help please
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Car port help please Reply with quote

I have a 10x20 car port frame.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need a cover on the cheap. While still keeping everything temporary. By cover, I mean at least 3 sides, and the top.

What material can I use that wont desinagrate withing a few months, and can I beat this price?

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

10.99 is pretty cheap....
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
10.99 is pretty cheap....

Looks like that's for a dog food bowl.

For your cover I watch a youtube show called Sampson Boat Co. He covered his work area with some higher end plastic sheeting and it's held up for years. May check out his channel, he might reference the company who makes it?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

what stops the whole thing blowing away?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

The roof takes the hardest beating from weather. I put this up in 2013, its worked flawlessly. Just 12 ft sheets of corrugated metal from HD. Cut in the middle, 6ft each side, 100 tec screws later. I added another 15 feet 3 years ago so i have 35 feet of covered space. I need to get another frame that matches roof line Crying or Very sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

https://www.shelterlogic.com/
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

You get what you pay for.
I'd tie the legs together w/ something for more strength in the frame, 2"x4"s. pvc pipe, steel pipe, anything to ad stability.
I really like Darrel's idea of corrugated metal sheets, if your frame can handle it, probably the strongest thing to use.
My Dad gave me his 10 year old Shelter logic 18" tent in 2004, a few years back I replaced the cover, $700, but heavy duty. Plus like real estate, location, location, location is really important, mine is surrounded on 3 sides, less wind issues, plus 8 3' stakes to hold it down.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

Stake it down. Tie the cross pieces together for stability. They make a rubberish, corrugated 4x8 sheeting that you could use for roofing. I found it at Lowe's. I would check a local canvas shop or tarp shop and price a roll of canvas tenting for the sides. I definitely would skip the 10.99 Amazon stuff. Might as well use garbage bags or Odd Lots blue tarps. Like somebody says on this forum, "You get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get"...or something like that. Good Luck! Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

harbenger of fright might have one, but...I wood well I did . get a carolina car port. $700 for 12x21 installed. Im not sure how much they are now. but I diud have one of what you have.... a few tarps add up fast.and when I had to get it off the neibors roof before they came home....priceless. yup the enti\re thing was up there. atill intact.I havent a clue how it got there...it was bolted down. it also effup the bug roof on the way up and our camper's roof too.... it was handy for what it did. but I like this 2x2 steel tube frame with tin top much better.& Ive already enclosed 1 side and 1 end.,and working on doing the other end with door so I can still drive my car in. and the other side too.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

I poured a 4" cement slab under a metal carport & encased the legs in the cement slab.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
The roof takes the hardest beating from weather. I put this up in 2013, its worked flawlessly. Just 12 ft sheets of corrugated metal from HD. Cut in the middle, 6ft each side, 100 tec screws later. I added another 15 feet 3 years ago so i have 35 feet of covered space. I need to get another frame that matches roof line Crying or Very sad

That's what I've done, except I put it on with the corrugations running longitudinally so it would bend around the sides and go down the walls a little, it adds so much more rigidity to it that way. For tie downs dig a 2-3 foot deep hole at each corner and bury something like a tire or heavy steel bar sideways with a chain around it to stick up out of the hole, then attach the shelter to the chain with a big turnbuckle.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

I like the metal siding idea for the roof. My question is, how did you attach it? I will see what kind if canvas there is locally to me and go from there.

Thanks for the help
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
I like the metal siding idea for the roof. My question is, how did you attach it?

Self drilling roofing screws (Tek screws with sealing washers on them).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Car port help please Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
I like the metal siding idea for the roof. My question is, how did you attach it? I will see what kind if canvas there is locally to me and go from there.

Thanks for the help

Check Craigslist. Local to me, a guy takes down large billboard signs, sells the vinyl material. It lasts a looong time and inexpensive. GL.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: