Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Smog Law (AB-220) Change!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this but i think the CA smog exemption law (AB-220) has passed in the state assembly, so now vehicles 1983 and older do need to pass the smog test. I've been struggling to get my '79 super to pass for a while now, but ended up storing the car for the last year, hoping this law would change. Here is the link to the new law-
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB220
If anyone has any info about this, please chime in- I have many questions, like which course do i take to get my vehicle reg. sticker now? and Can the emission controls be removed and keep the stock FI?
I'm sure there are many '75 to '79 model cars suck in this same situation, i'm just tryin to get this conversation started about this- I'm dying to get back on the road!
Thanks All
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

ptavian wrote:
Can the emission controls be removed and keep the stock FI?

My understanding is that the CA smog version of the Bug FI was a little different that the 49 states version. We didn't have a catalytic converter and used a vacuum operated valve for the EGR. I know the 49 states version of the FI Bug can be desmogged and run great! No EGR, no decel valve, replace the DVDA with an SVDA, and retune the airflow box to give a little more fuel. I also ditched the warm air intake but kept the stock air filter.The result runs SO sweet. You end up with an engine that is happy from 1000 rpm to 5000 rpm. Even with the taller 3.875 ring and pinion you can still easily take off from a stop in 2nd gear. I think the older DP engine made a little more power, with the larger valves and ports in the heads, but the FI engine is so smooth. The heater boxes that grab heat from all 4 cylinders warm the car very well and the single exit exhaust gets rid of the Bug "freem" exhaust sound.

I considered getting on of those FI engines for my beach buggy, but packaging everything up to look pretty in the open buggy is not so easy. Plus, finding the system intact to pull is not super easy. For that I ended up using a near stock 1600 single port.
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

This is great info! Exactly what I’m looking for, thanks so much. I like the sound of a sweet running FI engine. My car runs well but will probably be even better with out those emissions controls! Can’t wait to get that stuff off there.
If anyone has any info on how to register now that the law has changed, please inform, thanks all
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Take it to a Smog Shop & pay the Pros to get it Tuned & Registered?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Gonna try that this weekend
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

There's not alot of smog stuff on those to begin with, none of it effects the way it runs and some even helps, why not just leave it alone?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

It may still be the case that while you dont have to have a smog test from 1983-on, you still have to have all smog equipment from 1968 model year on.

THats the current law, as I understand it.

That law is actively enforced.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
There's not alot of smog stuff on those to begin with, none of it effects the way it runs and some even helps, why not just leave it alone?

The EGR is notorious for plugging up and rusting out. The DVDA is well known for developing a vacuum leak on the retard side of the vacuum can and is no longer available. The decel valve is harmless, but does add some extra hoses to keep leak free and isn't really needed after the the vacuum retard is removed. Making back into the basic L-jet FI system Bosch diagrams often show worked well for me.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

I can't tell if the bill passed and is in effect now or just one they are considering. I will admit legal jargon throws my brains off so I could not tell from the text found at the link.

It looks recent... 2021... so almost seems like one they may vote on but not passed yet. I could be wrong. and hope I am as that would be great for anyone that owns Bay Window bus or below now. Wink

TJ

ptavian wrote:
I'm not sure about this but i think the CA smog exemption law (AB-220) has passed in the state assembly, so now vehicles 1983 and older do need to pass the smog test. I've been struggling to get my '79 super to pass for a while now, but ended up storing the car for the last year, hoping this law would change. Here is the link to the new law-
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB220
If anyone has any info about this, please chime in- I have many questions, like which course do i take to get my vehicle reg. sticker now? and Can the emission controls be removed and keep the stock FI?
I'm sure there are many '75 to '79 model cars suck in this same situation, i'm just tryin to get this conversation started about this- I'm dying to get back on the road!
Thanks All

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It may still be the case that while you dont have to have a smog test from 1983-on, you still have to have all smog equipment from 1968 model year on.

Or at least, it has to LOOK like it is installed and working for the first inspection... Wink
- shot jammed inside hoses so they don't pass vacuum.
- welded/glued moving pieces (in a hidden location) so they don't actually move.
- not too clean, not too dirty hardware, so it looks original.
- basic good tune so it doesn't "look" like a polluter; so maybe a cleaned carb and no obvious big oil leaks that can make smoke or smell.
Not that I ever considered any of these steps...
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Yeah it sure looks like it passed- I’ve been following this for a while and the vote was on Monday and it looks amended to 1983 and older are now exempt. I can’t find any info online etc.
Maybe I’ll make a DMV appointment and see what they say (was hoping to avoid that)
I’m also about to email the lawmaker (R. Vogel) who wrote the bill and ask about this. Thanks for all the help
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

The EGR is notorious for plugging up and rusting out. The DVDA is well known for developing a vacuum leak on the retard side of the vacuum can and is no longer available. The decel valve is harmless, but does add some extra hoses to keep leak free and isn't really needed after the the vacuum retard is removed. Making back into the basic L-jet FI system Bosch diagrams often show worked well for me.

You aren't shopping in the right places, if you dig hard enough it's all available somewhere.
Another thing to consider is what happens in a few years when the next bill passes and only cars with 100% intact systems are allowed?, you'll sure miss that stuff then, even if it's disabled and just along for the ride. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

THats the current law, as I understand it.

That law is actively enforced.

FYI, California has applied a cutoff of 1975 since 2005.
They do not inspect cars older than 1976 models.
So I take it the cutoff is now advanced to 1983? That was first proposed in 2019 (AB210), so maybe it has in fact been approved? Is that just in the Assembly? Are Senate and Gov signatures needed? Our present Gov will not sign it, for sure...
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Oh Crap! I didn't realize Gavin probably does have to sign this which isn't going to happen! And i'm back to looking into parting with my '79 vert. Sad
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Fixed it for you!
ptavian wrote:
I'm not sure about this but i think the CA smog exemption law (AB-220) has passed in the state assembly, so now vehicles 1983 and older do NOT need to pass the smog test. I've been struggling to get my '79 super to pass for a while now, but ended up storing the car for the last year, hoping this law would change. Here is the link to the new law-
Thanks All
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Thanks! I wish it was that simple!!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Looks like its been postponed, probably because its 'low priority' Be interesting to see the results, doubt it'll pass.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB220

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Upshot on hold

Reminder. If you remove smog stuff from 1968 on you are emissions tampering, and at least in SoCal, this is not being ignored just because you don’t have to smog test it.
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

I'm dealing with that right now on my 76 bay window I have all the smog on it but it still won't pass and i'm unable to find anyone local that will even touch an old Vw being that parts are pretty much unavailable anymore when it comes to smog And i'm obviously in SoCal Any idea other that to sell it in the other 49 states?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
I'm dealing with that right now on my 76 bay window I have all the smog on it but it still won't pass and i'm unable to find anyone local that will even touch an old Vw being that parts are pretty much unavailable anymore when it comes to smog And i'm obviously in SoCal Any idea other that to sell it in the other 49 states?

Ask Robbie: https://www.airschooled.com/

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: