Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

1994Karuso wrote:
Mine newly sealed flange is all put back together, but... still leaking.

The coolant seems to be coming from the white cords embedded in the upper radiator hose that are exposed past the clamp. So I guess the hose is leaking internally somewhere.

Everything is pretty well pressurized though. So maybe this is my last leak.

Weird. You sure its not just coming past the clamp? I'm glad to hear that you got the housing sorted...hopefully you'll be able to stop the last, pesky, leak real soon!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

1994Karuso wrote:
My water outlet was leaking too. Underneath all that is just an o-ring that seals to the head.

There is also an o-ring for each of the two sensors that plug into the flange.

I replaced the whole flange (apparently they are known to crack eventually), all three o-rings, and the two bolts which like yours were badly corroded. Doesn't cost that much. The sensors are the expensive bits.

ocelotpotpie wrote:
Yeah I'd pull that, clean the surface, replace all the o-rings and gaskets for it, and replace the plastic if it's cracked. They get old and heat cycle a lot so they do crack/chip sometimes.

The "crack pipe" is a VR6 specific thing. It's basically just a plastic water tube that runs from the passenger side to the driver side and then into the VR6-version of the coolant housing you have there.

Thanks for the heads up fellas, and for the edification on the VR6 stuff. I knew I had read something of the sort, just couldn't remember what it was specific to.

I pulled the outlet based upon your recommendations. It was pretty obvious why things were beginning to weep. The o-ring was completely flattened. I figured while I was in there, I may as well do the thermostat, since its right there. pulled the cover and the thermostat. Thermostat was extremely stubborn, and I managed to bend the top a little. Started looking around and no one had the exact same temperature range. Paid a visit to the local dealership and they have ordered me one. I had to go through a couple of different o-rings to find one that would fit the flange on the water outlet. The "correct" part number wasn't even remotely close. We finally found one that would work. I threw the water outlet and the thermostat cover in the ultrasonic, to clean things up a bit...glad I did!

Once all the crud had been removed, I found this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hard to believe, but before the ultrasonic cleaning, those cracks were imperceptible. I knew there was no way I could possibly use this again. Had the dealership order me one. I was too late for that day's cut-off, so I'll be picking all the goodies up a little later today. Hopefully that will get things sorted out.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Weird electrical stuff?!?!?!

Just a quick bump of my question earlier:
white74westy wrote:
Hello everyone!!!
I have a few questions, and would love some advice. I figured I would ask before I started diving into things, in the hopes that the collective would be able to answer my questions based upon experience. So here we go:

This little bugger keeps tripping from time to time:

Where should I start? What should I be looking for? Do replacement parts exist?

Does anyone have any advice about replacement parts? Is there anything special I need to do, or look out for here? It hasn't happened as often, however every once in a blue moon, it will trip.

On another note, the other day, I came out to start the van and didn't have enough juice in the battery to do so. Just clickety click click from the starter. Popped the hood and the battery was completely dead. Bear in mind this was a brand new battery. All the fluid levels were extremely low. I have since filled it up and trickled charged the battery. Haven't been able to fire it up, as I'm still waiting on the parts listed in the post above. Once I have the coolant system sealed up, I'll try again.

My questions...what/where should I be looking for that would be creating a parasitic drain on the battery? Is the breaker/fuse that keeps tripping in the back related? Could it have anything to do with the fridge being plugged in? I don't have the leisure/house battery hooked up yet, could that play a role? My apologies, I know its a lot of questions all at once. If anyone has any advice and counsel to offer on the breaker/fuse, battery drain please let me know.

Thanks!
a
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Guess nobody has any advice on the electrical "fuse" in the back of the van?

Wanted to start by saying how nice it is to be able to order parts from a dealership that are correct and in stock!!! Wow, what a treat! It's a little weird, as I've become accustomed to having to hunt down NOS stuff from all over the world, because of the way things are on the old Westy. What a treat. I'm sure that as these machines age, they will begin to face many of the same issues, as the parts begin to dry up and become more difficult to locate. My friendly suggestion is this: if there are parts that are known to be prone to failure, that you start buying a stash now. In another 10-20 years, life is going to be a lot more difficult, when it comes to repairing the T4 platform.

With that in mind, here's what I ordered:

Brand new OEM parts...what a treat!

As I stated above, the original flange had cracks. Upon closer inspection, I also noticed that the flange itself wasn't exactly flat. It would appear that the plane wouldn't be parallel to the block. Glad I got a new one. Anyhow, got it and the thermostat installed. I put 2 gallons of pre-diluted G13 coolant in the reservoir and fired it up. Yahoo!!! No leaks. Felt good to get that one sorted out!

Decided to take the van out for a run on Saturday. It is really hot here! Heat index puts it in the triple digits. She seemed a little sluggish, which is really no big deal, as I don't hot rod these T4 vans(or T2 buses). The GPS took me up on the highway. I quickly notice that the transmission wouldn't kick down. I looked down and the tach showed 4200rpm at 60 mph. She just would not shift into 4th. I reached my destination, and shut her down for about 15 minutes. Fired her up and headed back to the house. Decided to take a different route, that didn't involve getting up to highway speeds, so as not to stress the transmission too much. Whatdyaknow...she performs flawlessly! Unbelievable! She shifted through all the gears normally and got me home, safe and sound. I attributed the weird sluggishness and the inability to shift into 4th on potentially low fluid level. Is this a possibility? I did notice that the high speed fan was blowing on more than one occasion on the way back. When I pulled into the driveway and turned off the ignition, the fan kept blowing for a short time. It led me to investigate a little. Removed the panel, exposing the resistors and found these crusty little buggers:

They have obviously seen better days!!! The insulation on the wires is gone. Much of the ceramic coating over the wires has flaked off. I've got them on order. I hope to have them in hand, sometime next week. Hopefully that will help! I haven't pulled codes yet, as the check engine light did illuminate while I was driving...but, it always has, since I've owned the vehicle. My hope is to work through each of the systems, until I get rid of all the bugs; God knows there's a bunch of them! I was hoping that maybe the changing the resistors might make the red temperature light go away. It comes on, just as soon as I turn the engine on. When I have a chance, I'll also pull the codes to see if the tranny was trying to tell me anything.

That's all for now. As always, and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for checking in. Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Ordered the new resistors from Pelican Parts:

They look great. Yahoo!

Took the old roached resistors out:

Happy to report that the low speed fan setting seems to be working properly now! Still no joy as far as the A/C is concerned. It's on the list. Just keep chipping away.
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Nice! Those fan resistors feel like one of - if not THE worst things designed in the vans. They're far too exposed to the elements and have seemingly very short lifespan. Especially in salty corrosion prone states like the US Northeast and the so called "rust belt".

They're cheap (for now) and easy to replace but man every time I do one I think how much of a poor design it seems to be.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

ocelotpotpie wrote:
Nice! Those fan resistors feel like one of - if not THE worst things designed in the vans. They're far too exposed to the elements and have seemingly very short lifespan. Especially in salty corrosion prone states like the US Northeast and the so called "rust belt".

They're cheap (for now) and easy to replace but man every time I do one I think how much of a poor design it seems to be.

Indeed! There are so many things on these rigs that I think the same thing about. What's with all the plastic parts that are subject to thousands/millions of heat cycles?!?! e.g. water outlet etc.
I get it. VW and all the other manufacturers will put the most economical part in place, if it means squeezing an extra few pennies out of each vehicle. Guess that's the role we sign up for when we agree to keep these things roadworthy.

I'll just keep chipping away, trying to get rid of all the bad stuff, until she's happy and hopefully running like a top!
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Don't know what to tell you about your electrical panel main breaker tripping. I guess there is a worn wire somewhere grounding out. That main breaker is for AC only, so inspect the AC wiring. The GFCI outlets have a separate breaker and should not trip the main AC breaker, but still a possibility if the main feed to them is shorting out.

The only parasitic drain on the coach battery should be the LP/CO2 detector which is hidden beside the front side of the fridge. That detector has the fuse on the electrical panel, pull the fuse to prevent parasitic drain.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Broseph Stalin wrote:
Don't know what to tell you about your electrical panel main breaker tripping. I guess there is a worn wire somewhere grounding out. That main breaker is for AC only, so inspect the AC wiring. The GFCI outlets have a separate breaker and should not trip the main AC breaker, but still a possibility if the main feed to them is shorting out.

The only parasitic drain on the coach battery should be the LP/CO2 detector which is hidden beside the front side of the fridge. That detector has the fuse on the electrical panel, pull the fuse to prevent parasitic drain.

I will dive into the electricals somewhere down the line. Of late, the breaker has been behaving properly...touch wood. The coach battery isn't installed yet, so no parasitic drain there.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Made some decent headway with the van last week. I decided after replacing the plugs, wires, rotor and cap, that it was time to take her out for a shakedown run. I drove from Jacksonville, to Gainesville, which is about a 1-1/2 to 2 hour drive. I have a friend down there that owns a VW shop (shout out to Hugo's automotive). He's been turning wrenches on VW's for 40 years. It was his dad's business, that he's carrying on. Great place to get your VW worked on if you get stuck.

The van ran flawlessly! I was pretty pleased with the way she handled herself. Part of the reason I wanted to take her there was because, as I've mentioned before, I have no point of reference when it comes to the T4 platform. I have no idea what things are supposed to feel like. I wanted Hugo to tell me if the work I'd done to the transmission valve body was allowing her to operate normally, as well to help me get the oil drain plug out. More on that in the plugs and wires thread I started: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9517476#9517476 if you're so inclined.

Anyhow, she hummed along nicely at 60-70mph, the whole way there. On one or two occasions, I found myself looking down at the speedometer showing 80, which prompted me to immediately take my foot off the accelerator, and allow her to drop back down to something a little more conservative. Perhaps a habit from driving my old '74 Westy, but I'm really never in that big of a rush driving these old rigs around. I was quite happy with 65mph at approximately 3000-3200 rpm. The temperature gauge stayed fixed between the 1/2-3/4 mark.

Once I got to Gainesville, I went by my friend's (the guy who sold me the van) place of work. I think he was happy to see her back on the road. Took care of my business in town and headed over to Hugo's. As I mentioned earlier, the main area of concern was getting the oil drain plug out. I also had a couple of other things I wanted to take care of. The A/C being high on the list. Hugo hooked up his machine and went to work. First thing he noticed is that I was definitely low on gas. Gauges read about 50psi on both high and low side. He asked me to turn the A/C on. Nothing. The compressor didn't kick on. He went under the dash and started fiddling around with the control module (relay). As he was wiggling it, click, the compressor kicked on. "Well" he says, "the compressor's not your problem." He evacuated the system, drew a vacuum and let it sit for a while. While we were waiting for the vacuum, he went digging around and found me an old relay in his stash of parts. Filled up the system, installed the relay and let it rip. It was approximately 75* ambient air temperature. The air coming out of the vents measured a nice, chilly, 40*. Needless to say, I was very happy!!!

Next on the list was removing the oil drain plug out, as mentioned above. With all of that done, it was getting late in the afternoon, and it was time for me to head north, back to Jacksonville. Hugo said he would bring the van down off the lift, while I went to the restroom. When I came back out to the front of the building, I heard him revving the engine. All the while, he's giving me this weird look. "Did you have lights on the dash?" Yup, I tell him. The red temperature light blinks as soon as you turn the key, and the CEL comes and goes all the time. VCDS tells me that AIR(secondary air injector) is faulty. Still haven't found a good source for that part yet. Anyhow, nothing that was out of the ordinary. "Well, what about the battery light?" he asks. Ummm...nope, that's a new one on me. Out comes the machine. We hook up and sure enough, wouldn't you know it, the alternator has taken a dump. One of two ways to look at it. I could be pissed off, or I could be relieve that it'd happened right in front of his shop. I wasn't real happy, but what can you do? It was 5pm, two days before thanksgiving. I called all the local parts houses and none of them had one available. Managed to find one back in Jacksonville, at an Autozone. Apparently the 120 amp alternators for these old rigs aren't all that common. Called my wife, asked her to make the trip down to pick me up. She was happy about that. Wink Very Happy With kids in tow after sports practice, she made the trip down to pick me up. We had pizza at Satchel's and headed back to the autozone that had the alternator waiting on me. Thankfully, they were open until midnight. Next morning, I had my father -in-law drive me back down to get started on getting things back up to snuff. Pulled the old alternator out, had to remove the old pulley and install it on the new alternator, as they weren't the same. Installed the new alternator, along with a new serpentine belt (because why not? you're already in there, might as well). Fired her up and yahoo, the battery light went out. I'm back in business! The alternator is doing it's job. However, now I've got a weird noise coming from some part of the rotational assembly. Tensioner, pulley, roller, compressor pulley? Not real sure. Will eventually start with the tensioner pulley, as that was extremely stiff when we were changing the belt out. Might be time anyway. Eventually, I'm going to have to do the timing belt, water pump et. al. anyhow. I have also determined that I will need to replace the valve cover gasket. I just keep chipping away. This old girl deserves it.

The more I do, the more I like the vehicle. I find her to be extremely well behaved and far more sophisticated and civilized than my old Westy. It's as if she's waking up from a very long slumber, and seems to be happy stretching her legs again. I get the feeling that she appreciates the maintenance.

Onwards!
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Excellent! Great to hear you were able to complete the tune-up and get that pesky oil nut off! Small victories are great!

What tool did you use to loosen the belt tensioner to remove the drive belt? 15mm crows foot?

About the noise coming from your rotational assembly. On the alternator, there are nut sliders that the alternator screws go into. You have to adjust them so that alternator fitment is aligned and doesn't cause belt noises or fraying of your belt.

Look at this video, starting at around the 6:30 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/P4FX4LVwR0Q?t=328

I hope this helps.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

EVCSNOW wrote:
Excellent! Great to hear you were able to complete the tune-up and get that pesky oil nut off! Small victories are great!

What tool did you use to loosen the belt tensioner to remove the drive belt? 15mm crows foot?

About the noise coming from your rotational assembly. On the alternator, there are nut sliders that the alternator screws go into. You have to adjust them so that alternator fitment is aligned and doesn't cause belt noises or fraying of your belt.

Look at this video, starting at around the 6:30 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/P4FX4LVwR0Q?t=328

I hope this helps.

Hey man!

Thanks for the link! I love that guy's videos. I've watched many of them over the past several months...super helpful!

Hugo moved those things around before we installed the alternator. However, I'll have to get back under there and give them another look, just for good measure.

Cheers,
a.
Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Couple of little improvements. Trying to get back to the VW's in my life. Ran into a little trouble on my aircooled engine build, so I had some time to fiddle with the EVC a little.

This baby was roached!!!

Got rid of that and installed a new one:

Much better!

Like many before me, I'm sure, I was faced with the inability to convert the rear bench into a bed. The mechanism was broken and needed to be replaced. This is critical, as I've promised the kids that we would go camping next weekend.

Old, tired mechanism, removed and replaced:

While I was in there, I figured I may as well paint the storage tray beneath the bench, as I'm probably not going to take it out again:

I did the kick panel as well:

Pretty happy with they way it turned out. Two panels down, the rest of the interior to go! Shocked Laughing Laughing

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I used Hi-Tech, Vinyl, Plastic & Carpet Dye:

Good stuff! Make sure you're wearing a good respirator.

I also decided to have a look at the propane system...at least the cooking portion, for now. The smaller of the two hoses looked as if an animal may have chewed through it. Clearly, the tank was not holding gas. I ordered both replacement hoses from Eurocampers.com and set to work.

Some of the left over carnage:

New hoses installed:

After that it was off to the local U-haul where they fill propane tanks. It took approximately 4.7 Gallons of propane to fill the bottle.

End Result:

Kids were stoked to see the flames, as was I!!! Now to clean the interior properly, as I am still yet to do so, since taking ownership. Hopefully, next weekend, we'll get the old girl out for our first of many family camping trips!!!

Once we get back, I'm going to try (at some point Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) to set aside some time to take care of other things on the list. Timing belt, water pump and all associated pulleys and tensioners.

Onward!
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

I would wireloom those hoses, a double layer even . . . . .
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Broseph Stalin wrote:

Good call! Thanks for the tip. I wondered when I was installing them, if they were too vulnerable where they were. Sounds like a great solution.

As always, many thanks Broseph! Cool
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

And don't be shy about spraying all of your rubber components with Aerospace 303. Rubber absolutely loves 303, soaks it in like a sponge. I firmly believe CV boots last a lot longer with a good spray of 303 any chance you get, radiator hoses, etc.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Broseph Stalin wrote:

Good call! Thanks for the tip. I wondered when I was installing them, if they were too vulnerable where they were. Sounds like a great solution.

As always, many thanks Broseph! Cool

One more thing - there is a rubber washer for the LP fill port, having a spare won't hurt. Sometimes they get pulled off by the fill connector or just deteriorate over time and if gone the fillup won't work. Uhaul probably has them, I bought a couple at my local LP specialist shop. Happy travels!!!!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Those hoses should be hardlines, with coils for vibration relief, and chafe relief anywhere they are within 1 cm of metal

My fan resistors have only lasted 20 years, they do suck

Very Happy
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

My fan resistors have only lasted 20 years, they do suck

Very Happy

I'd have thought they blow, no? Wink Laughing
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:

Some of the left over carnage:

New hoses installed:

After that it was off to the local U-haul where they fill propane tanks. It took approximately 4.7 Gallons of propane to fill the bottle.

End Result:

Kids were stoked to see the flames, as was I!!! Now to clean the interior properly, as I am still yet to do so, since taking ownership. Hopefully, next weekend, we'll get the old girl out for our first of many family camping trips!!!

Onward!

I need to replace the HP LP line. My tank is the newer one I guess with the hose pointed towards the front. I can not figure out how to get to the upper fitting. Any tips. Looks like you cut the line and slipped a stubby wrench over the nut. There is no room to work are there things you should remove to gain some clearance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: