Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karman Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thought I would update my thread with the progress on my father-in-law's Ghia (now my wife's VW).

Couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the restoration work by Bryan King. He is a one-man shop, so the pace has taken time, but as you'll see in the pictures......it is worth it!

We hope to have the Ghia back fully restored by July of this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karman Ghia convertible Reply with quote

This is very impressive. The level of quality and detail is amazing! Please post more pictures. Your car looks very factory correct. Fabulous workmanship.

What's the plan for floor prep prior to carpet? Will you be installing tar board like material?

This shop looks amazingly clean and organized!!! As does your car.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karman Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Marc,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I am a stickler for having the car look like it did when it came from the factory.

To be honest, I have not talked to my restoration guy about the tar board underneath the carpeting. Perhaps some sound-deading material?

Do you have suggestions or recommendations?

thanks again.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

I am restoring a 71 convertible and have not done my floors yet and I'm not sure what I will do. I see that it's very popular to use some kind of adhesive covering. Some products I've read people are using are: "Quiet Walk", "Siless", "GTMAT", "DYNAMAT", and even a roofing material called "Quick Roof".

After all the work to stop and prevent rust, I don't like the idea of laying down a covering that prevents inspection of the floors from time to time, or allows removal for drying in case of water intrusion. I have purchased some SILESS Mats and I think I will put some on the vertical surfaces in the luggage area especially the rear vertical wall by the engine. I think Ghias are not built to be very quiet anyway so, is it going to make a big difference?? I don't know.

I've also read of some who have glued their carpets to carpet padding and then used Velcro to attach them to the floor. I kind of like that idea if it works?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karman Ghia convertible Reply with quote

thuestis wrote:
Marc,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I am a stickler for having the car look like it did when it came from the factory.

To be honest, I have not talked to my restoration guy about the tar board underneath the carpeting. Perhaps some sound-deading material?

Do you have suggestions or recommendations?

thanks again.

Airhead used to sell tarboard mats for Ghias.,they were thin but prevented the ribs of the pan from showing through you carpets or rubber mats.
On my 56 I paid a lot for Luis’ and they are killer. Very close to factory. I don’t think I even glued them in.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Beautiful project. Your wife's going to love it, and the job would make your father in law proud. One question though, did you find someone to do the top yet?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for the compliments.

My restoration guy has found someone to do the top; he tells me the guy is really good.

Looking forward to having the Ghia back this summer .....hopefully!
dziambel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Hi thuestis

I love this color, my Ghia 70 coupe is Pastel Blue too.

Greetings from Poland

Hofmann H25
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Very nice Ghia.

Have you met Neil Pickett? He works for the US State Dept. He moved there a couple of years ago and drives his early Westfalia.

Tim
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Mighty fine work, thuestis! Brake pedal about even with the clutch pedal, black-painted front and rear sway bars, level-mounted bumpers, engine case half joints wiped down from sealant squeeze-out, etc.
Very Happy Very Happy
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

That looks amazing! Hats off to the shop doing the work, the level of detail is stunning.
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Posting a few more pictures.

Progress has been slow earlier this year as the person doing the restoration was asked to help settle a large estate for a close friend. Now that has been completed, progress is picking back up. A picture of the seats; fabulous work from Lenny Copp. Carpet has finally gone in and looks nice. I am hoping that the restoration will be done by spring.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Amazing!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

The front seats look fantastic, proper tucks and all.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

That looks great!! Thanks for the update
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Couple more pictures of the Ghia

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Stunning paint and interior combination. Well done. I'm jealous.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Attention to detail is amazing. The interior and the engine compartment look amazing. Beautiful work.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

This is one of the nicest restored Ghias I’ve seen. It’s show car status.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for restoration of a 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible Reply with quote

Hard for me to believe that we are finally very close to completing the restoration of my father-in-law's Ghia. It has been a labor of love to honor my father-in-law and to provide my wife with a really special gift. Once the car is completed.....hopefully, this month, I will post a few more pictures and thank the suppliers that helped me.

Last edited by thuestis on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: