Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D-Jet fuel pump of choice these days?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: D-Jet fuel pump of choice these days? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Discovered my original 3 port pump is siezed. Not sure if I want to try and rebuild. What these days is used in place of the old 3 port? There must be opinions on what the best and most reliable substitute is...

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet fuel pump of choice these days? Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Hey everyone,

Discovered my original 3 port pump is siezed. Not sure if I want to try and rebuild. What these days is used in place of the old 3 port? There must be opinions on what the best and most reliable substitute is...

Bill

The most common aftermarket pump used on D-jet and L-jet is the Airtex E 2000 two port pump.

Its a good pump, cheap and easy to find and can be had with a variety of fittings and chsck valves.

However there is a HUGE range of Bosch and other part numbera....like hundreds.....that all fit and work and can be as good or better.

I am not close to my computer but later I will pull out a post from a few years back with a list. There are aome modern Bosch pumps that are commonly used on large v8 engines that put out even better and in a more stable fashion.

The three real features you want to look for though with any modern pump:

1. It MUST be a pump designed to be an "in-line" pump and not one that is designed to be used "IN TANK". The in tank pumps are designed to pump from a reservoir and/or with a feed pump and can have priming issues.

2. I no longer reccomend "roller cell" pumps. Not because they are not good.....but because they are not any better than they ever were.....and they are expensive.....and its harder to find good quality roller cell pumps NOW....than it is to f8nd goo turbine ring pumps.

Up until just a few years ago .....the go-to, bad ass.....better than stock pump to go to....was the Bosch 044 that was used on CIS/motronic. It is roller cell.....and was designed to run 70-80 psi at the same flow rate as our pumps at 28 psi.
A little noisier, a bit more current draw and in some applications....required a feeder pump. And....typically a $250+ pump.

But starting about 7-8 years ago.....a lot of the Bosch 044's were found to be COUNTERFEIT. Big problem. Lots of threads online. For quite some time....real 044s have been made in the Chezch republic....not Germany or anywhere else.

And.....until about 10-12 years ago.....the modern turbine ring pumps while very capable....did not yet have the build quality of a roller cell pump.

That is not the case anymore. The roller cell pumps can be as high or higher volume, much smoother (less pulses and more stable fuel) and long life.

3. Make sure whatever you buy has either a built in outlet port check valve or can take a screw in check valve.

And......READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY A BOSCH 044

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/how-to-spot-fake-bosch-044-fuel-pumps/

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet fuel pump of choice these days? Reply with quote

Another good pump is the Precision brand 16020 pump from O'Reilly's. It's their version of the Airtex E2000 pump. It's the same frame rail mounted Ford ranger pump (from 85 thru 91), but about 10 bucks cheaper than the Airtex pump. I've been running one on my wife's type 3 with D-jet for about 10 years now without any problems.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Losty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet fuel pump of choice these days? Reply with quote

Three port versus two port. How does that work?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet fuel pump of choice these days? Reply with quote

Losty420 wrote:
Three port versus two port. How does that work?

Check this thread for this answer and many other tips:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488576
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: