Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Oh hi.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
In my never-ending quest to find the keys to this stupid bus,

The ignition switch isn't original anyway, because I remember you changed it.
Get one of these, and worry about the doors later.
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/search.html?q=ignition+switch&go=Search
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Another interesting mystery is this blue paint under my VW emblem...

It does look like that white paint is flaking off, and you can see the SWR on the outside of the emblem, under the same flaking white paint.

I will have to pull the emblem off to see, and since it's missing a couple of clips anyway, it's probably a good idea.

Done with the lettering City Foreign Car
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10160705247553362&set=a.10150503602398362
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
bobrk wrote:
Another interesting mystery is this blue paint under my VW emblem...

It does look like that white paint is flaking off, and you can see the SWR on the outside of the emblem, under the same flaking white paint.

I will have to pull the emblem off to see, and since it's missing a couple of clips anyway, it's probably a good idea.

Done with the lettering City Foreign Car
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10160705247553362&set=a.10150503602398362

Yeah, I have that picture up here, too...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Found my OG door panels and was comparing them to some panels my buddy Al bought years ago.

Trying to decide if I can get these pockets installed on them or if I should just splurge on a new Clara set.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Hello- I installed my OG pockets on Clara's panels with pretty good success. Two things to note...
1- The color was harder to match than I thought it would be

2- The OG holes for the rivets are usually too rough to reuse. I moved the rivet holes slightly and redrilled for a fresh start.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
Hello- I installed my OG pockets on Clara's panels with pretty good success. Two things to note...
1- The color was harder to match than I thought it would be

Ah, I hadn't even thought about that.

Quote:
2- The OG holes for the rivets are usually too rough to reuse. I moved the rivet holes slightly and redrilled for a fresh start.

Thanks, those look great! What do you think of the quality of Clara's panels?
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, those look great! What do you think of the quality of Clara's panels?

Clara's panel are outstanding, nothing but good things to say. This is my second set, I also used her panels for our westy. well worth it
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Well, I got my windows out yesterday. The rear Philips screws gave me some trouble, but a thorough whacking with an impact screwdriver persuaded them to come out. Several missing bolts on one side that I'll have to replace. Couldn't figure out how to get the windows out after removing those visible bolts and after much struggling, decided to consult my Bentley and found out about the two hidden bolts inside the door. Once I got those off, removal was achievable.

Just noticed the insulation in this Bentley photo. Did the old buses have insulation in the doors?

Now on to the fun jobs of disassembling the frame and replacing all that destroyed rubber.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Got the windows disassembled completely, almost.

Trying to figure out how to get this rock solid door molding out, any ideas?

Looks like there are stops in these grooves, hopefully they're in the WW kit I got...

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Arggg, been there with seals like that. Fresh razor blade to slice on them while being careful not to cut yourself and basically chiseling them out with little screwdrivers. If you can slice on them a little, it will often release some pressure against the channel and you can slide little pieces out. It's a PITA.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Off to get some razor blades.
peecee69 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
bobrk wrote:

Arggg, been there with seals like that. Fresh razor blade to slice on them while being careful not to cut yourself and basically chiseling them out with little screwdrivers. If you can slice on them a little, it will often release some pressure against the channel and you can slide little pieces out. It's a PITA.

That and heat. I just did this job and it wasn't too bad. Also, take some sandpaper (I used some 1000 grit) in the channels. The ends of that channel are slightly bent in, which you can bend out while putting in the seal. After it's in, bend the ends back down on the seal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Well, the first window took about 2 hours, the second, less than an hour, so I guess I got some mad skills going by the end.

Heat and a utility knife to slice along the side of each track. pick out the middle slice and dig out the two edge slices. Hopefully there will be enough structural integrity to pull them gently out without breaking.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Super glad I got these manuals, they’re saving me from doing stupid things.

Like ruining my window frames…

Or continuing a quixotic search for pick up bumpers…

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: