Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

That is a 72. Low lights in front big in back and the bumpers. 1 year only bus like the 68.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
That is a 72. Low lights in front big in back and the bumpers. 1 year only bus like the 68.

If so, it should have the Type IV engine and not the advertised 1600cc - possibly why the shroud is "not installed" - it would be different tinware.
Sure would be nice to see engine bay pics but seller states "No more pics" - I wonder why? Smile
If so (again), run, Forest, run!!!!!
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Yes it should have the type 4 1.7 engine. If it was a 1600 swapped in if it did not have correct tin installed it's probably fried. When someone doesn't have basic engine or under carriage pictures they are hiding something. I would move on.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Yes it should have the type 4 1.7 engine. If it was a 1600 swapped in if it did not have correct tin installed it's probably fried. When someone doesn't have basic engine or under carriage pictures they are hiding something. I would move on.

Without even taking a look at it? That seems awfully pessimistic... What if I get there and it's a beautiful, fresh motor and the guy just didn't want to bend over or something. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I'd say hard pass and stick with trying to find a real '71.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

No harm in looking at it, but there's lots to check.

I'd check every VIN location, make sure they all match. If he's convinced its a 71, something seems weird.

Check for loads of Bondo.

Check the motor. Missing "shroud" could mean he put an upright 1600 in it without the proper tin. Proper tin for that swap is expensive.

Or it could really be a 72 with swapped VINs and the motor is really a 1700 and he doesnt know the differernce, and the fan shroud isn't mounted......

Either way, lots to check, and Be Careful.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

The reason he can't bend over is the passenger side front turn signal lens is stuck up his butt. Embarassed Razz

wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:

I'd check every VIN location, make sure they all match. If he's convinced its a 71, something seems weird.

Check the motor. Missing "shroud" could mean he put an upright 1600 in it without the proper tin. Proper tin for that swap is expensive.

Or it could really be a 72 with swapped VINs and the motor is really a 1700 and he doesnt know the differernce, and the fan shroud isn't mounted......

I think the 71 claim is to add support for the 71 type engine that's now installed. Those tail-lights are a legitimacy giveaway because I haven't come across a 71 with those type of lights. Something is off.
My 2c is it was a Type 4 motor that was blown and a 1600cc motor replaced it, due to the higher cost/low availability of the Type 4 motors. The lack of tinware/pictures supports this theory.
That's not a $15k bus IMHO.
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Been doing some research... There's no way that's a '71... I think he got his numbers mixed up. I'll check the VIN when I get there, hopefully snap some pictures. It should say on the title, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

It's a 72, nut likely late 71 production date, the roof looks like it's got a 74+ one on the front with no seals or hinges and still has the early luggage rack on the back, maybe with the rear cut off the later roof?

I'd be very wary of that one, lots of hacks and who knows what's hiding under the paint.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
HoboBus wrote:

I think the 71 claim is to add support for the 71 type engine that's now installed. Those tail-lights are a legitimacy giveaway because I haven't come across a 71 with those type of lights. Something is off.
My 2c is it was a Type 4 motor that was blown and a 1600cc motor replaced it, due to the higher cost/low availability of the Type 4 motors. The lack of tinware/pictures supports this theory.
That's not a $15k bus IMHO.

If you had to put a price on it?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

If the guy does not even know what year Bus he is selling, what else doesn't he know ??? Maybe he bought it as you see it, found out he got screwed & is just passing it on to another unsuspecting buyer...
As others have said: pretty paint, bogus interior, and the "No more pictures" Bullshit, I'd pass.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
If the guy does not even know what year Bus he is selling, what else doesn't he know ??? Maybe he bought it as you see it, found out he got screwed & is just passing it on to another unsuspecting buyer...
As others have said: pretty paint, bogus interior, and the "No more pictures" Bullshit, I'd pass.

Yeah, I'm quickly joining the club. I'm about to go drive to check it out, don't really have any intention of buying though. I figure it's good to check out as many as I can.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
I figure it's good to check out as many as I can.

Absolutely.

And, its good to learn all the detail points that have been brought up here, so you're as smart of a buyer as you can be.

So when someone says "Yeah, you just need a shroud thing. Probably can get one at a junkyard cheap", you'll know the real situation.

You dont want a hodgepodge mess of a bus with maybe even some VIN issues, with shiny paint.

Good luck!

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:

If you had to put a price on it?

If the general consensus is correct, and its a 72 bus with a 71 engine, Id keep looking. If I had to buy it I'd be at around $7k for it and that's mainly for the paint/body (assuming its not bondo underneath).
Getting the correct engine/trans/roof is pretty big $ and would take some time and wrenching skills.
With a $15k budget you should be able to get a sweet bus. Maybe rough around the edges in places, but the purchased originality and trust in the seller is priceless. This one smells fishy to me.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Here are a couple up here in Vancouver BC for sale in CAN$ for reference.

The decent:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/cto/d/north-vancouver-north-central-1978-vw/7303874858.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/campbell-river-central-westfalia-1978-vw/7285662439.html

Parts or a lot of work Westy

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/cto/d/burnaby-1974-vw-westfalia/7302736150.html

DB
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:

The decent:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/cto/d/north-vancouver-north-central-1978-vw/7303874858.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/campbell-river-central-westfalia-1978-vw/7285662439.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/cto/d/burnaby-1974-vw-westfalia/7302736150.html

DB

Something stinks with the first one. Suspiciously cheap. Also two different busses in the pics

*edit
I can see now, those are not of the actual bus. who knows what it actually looks like

Also you must be joking with saying the second one is decent!

Did you miss the ton of rust hiding in and the sliding door with missing corner?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

new paint means bondo.. sorry but that's the facts otherwise there'd be too much $$ invested to be $15k.

not really too much an issue, that's where that price point will get you if you want shiny.. it's either hazed faded OE paint or shiny bondo covered paint for $15k.

it's ok just don't leave it in the elements, or else the bondo will cause some paint failures within 3-4yrs of rain, wet, damp air.

keep it in a garage when not in use and it'll go ~10+yrs w/o needing extra attention.

theguyryry wrote:
Ok, so checking my nearby craigslist last night and this one pops up:

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/lynn-haven-1971-volkswagen-van-westfalia/7303285551.html

I spoke to the owner on the phone, he's said he's gotten a lot of interest on it but no buyers yet... I'm going to go check it out tonight, but over the phone he mentioned the fan shroud isn't installed on the motor, so he doesn't recommend driving it long distances until that's installed. I figured I'd ask the hive mind for recommendations.

Without even looking at it in person, I can see that it needs the front turn signal housing replaced. That potentially means electrical isn't hooked up. The paint looks good / new, but that could be hiding rust. 15k doesn't seem to bad, does it?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Magion wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

The decent:

DB

Something stinks with the first one. Suspiciously cheap. Also two different busses in the pics

*edit
I can see now, those are not of the actual bus. who knows what it actually looks like

Did you miss the ton of rust hiding in and the sliding door with missing corner?

What a joke!
delusional seller wrote:
**Note, the pictures here are not the actual van. These are pics of what it looks like. But it needs work.

If the door fell off odds are good the whole bottom 6-8" are missing all the way around, maybe a good parts donor, but I'll bet it's a project that will bury you if you want it to be nice and solid after.
The second one says "frame is solid", that translates into "it's the only part left", same missing bottom 1/4 of the body is my guess, don't slam the door too hard or jump the railroad tracks, it'll buckle in 1/2.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Magion wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

The decent:

DB

*edit

What a joke!
delusional seller wrote:
**Note, the pictures here are not the actual van. These are pics of what it looks like. But it needs work.

If the door fell off odds are good the whole bottom 6-8" are missing all the way around, maybe a good parts donor, but I'll bet it's a project that will bury you if you want it to be nice and solid after.
The second one says "frame is solid", that translates into "it's the only part left", same missing bottom 1/4 of the body is my guess, don't slam the door too hard or jump the railroad tracks, it'll buckle in 1/2.

Yep, these are the typical ads you get and have to sift through. A lot of unknowns until you see them in person and crawl underneath and find out for yourself, and make an appropriate offer after pointing out the discrepancies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: