Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any web developers?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to work on an updated UI for the site?
Yes, I'm interested
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
No thanks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Any web developers? Reply with quote

I've started working on a new UI for the samba, with the intention of it being responsive design. I'm starting from scratch but using the current look as a template (colors, positioning, etc). I'm attempting a proxied/scraping approach for the data; building out fetchers and parsers as I go. I'm doing the frontend in React + Next JS + Tailwind CSS. I'm new to TW so it's somewhat explorative.

The project is way bigger than I'm acknowledging, but piece-by-piece... Smile

Anyway, If anyone is interested in a way to lose some time and hopefully have some fun, let me know you're around. The code is in github and any collaboration is welcomed. Post something about yourself if you're interested or just curious.

@EverettB, aren't you a developer or at least a dabbler?

Also, dabblers and hobbyists are welcome too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any web developers? Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@EverettB, aren't you a developer or at least a dabbler?

Yes, I know how to do all the PHP stuff the site runs on but not the technologies you are talking about.
I'm a bit behind the times. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any web developers? Reply with quote

@EverettB, I feel you. I've been a PHP and Python developer much longer then I've been a React developer. Over the last 3 years I've dived deeply into the react development world.

Do you do all of the site development on your own? I've never worked on phpBB before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any web developers? Reply with quote

Yes, the base is PHPBB but I wrote most of the other stuff like the classifieds.

The Gallery was a program someone made as an add-on to phpBB but it's massively changed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any web developers? Reply with quote

Just putting in a little time now and then, wavering back and forth between trying to work on the data and getting distracted by playing with the look and feel but it's slowly getting filled in.

If you want to peek at it:
https://thesamba.vercel.app/vw/

Login functionality works but the rest is a read-only experience so far. Mostly focussed on starting the basics llike header, menu, mobile header, mobile menu, mobile home page, classifieds, and forums. Still all kinds of little things to do. Hiccups with all the relative urls being used. Paying most attention to the mobile stuff first.

@EverettB, I'm sure you know how it goes, since you've waded through all of this before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: