Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock crank pulley snout differences?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this. On stock crank pulleys - I know that there are differing sizes in the diameter of the pulley itself however, does anyone know if there were differing pulleys - in the sense of the depth of the snout (the grooved oil slinger section) where it protrudes into the case and sits against the slinger washer and the relative positioning of the belt to line it with the alternator pulley? This is assuming no spacers or shims would be used? Or, were ALL stock crank pulleys the same in this respect?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

If the hubs are all the same or not, there would be the additional question of... is the vee belt groove always located the same relative to the hub.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

In my experience the 1200, 1300, 1500 & 1600 Type 1 engines all had the same crank pulley. The case bores were all 50 mm diameter as well, and I assume the snout-to-slinger depth is the same.

There is a 38 amp generator that was used on the early bay window buses that was longer and can cause pulley misalignment, if you don’t have the matching generator backing plate and spacers. My 69 bus had this setup and I believe that continued up to 1971 until the end of the 1600 cc Type 1 bus engines.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

There is an oversized pulley for cases that are worn but the oversize is the diameter of the grooves of the pulley is a bit larger. I have one in my parts stash.

I do not know any with a longer snout on the pulley. You can always add spacers/shims usually used for sand seal pullies if needed: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1915.htm
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If the hubs are all the same or not, there would be the additional question of... is the vee belt groove always located the same relative to the hub.

Actually, this is a better description of what I was trying to ask....are there any such differences?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
In my experience the 1200, 1300, 1500 & 1600 Type 1 engines all had the same crank pulley. The case bores were all 50 mm diameter as well, and I assume the snout-to-slinger depth is the same.

There is a 38 amp generator that was used on the early bay window buses that was longer and can cause pulley misalignment, if you don’t have the matching generator backing plate and spacers. My 69 bus had this setup and I believe that continued up to 1971 until the end of the 1600 cc Type 1 bus engines.

Iknow the twin-port 1300 has a different size (smaller) than the 1600 pulley. How it goes for other engines, I don't know, but I think the single-port 1300 probably has a smaller pulley, too. The difference is small enough not to stick out on visual.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stock crank pulley snout differences? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
neil68 wrote:

Iknow the twin-port 1300 has a different size (smaller) than the 1600 pulley. How it goes for other engines, I don't know, but I think the single-port 1300 probably has a smaller pulley, too. The difference is small enough not to stick out on visual.

Its not the size of the pulley (diameter) that I'm referring to, rather, as Modok says, the relation of the section that the V belt rides in, to the hub
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: