Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk I lower suspension tie bar build
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

Having just acquiring a ‘82 Rabbit truck & having owned many MkI cars before and also knowing one of their major weaknesses, I decided that the first thing that I would do is to install a lower suspension tie to prevent the dreaded frame horn fracturing.

VW made a lower tie bar for the 16v Sciroccos & several aftermarket companies did also. Long ago, I installed one of the last ones available through VW & I also used up all of the ones that I pilfered off of junked Sciroccos so I decided to whip one up out of some scrap 1” square tubing & some angle iron that I had laying around, both of which are readily available at local big box hardware stores.

I started by drilling a hole in a couple of 4” long sections of angle iron & then bolted them to the body at 45° using the forward lower control arm bolts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then took a section of the 1” square tubing, cut it to length, & tack welded it to the previously installed angle iron.

Once tacked together, I removed the tie bar & welded it up.

After reinstalling it...

I then clamped a couple more pieces of angle iron to the body. Later cars have a single 8mm hole here for the factory brace but you will need to drill a hole for the early cars.

And cut a couple more pieces of square tubing to triangulate back to the angle iron.

While making sure that the transmission drain plug wasn’t obscured.

Once I got all of the pieces tacked together...

I then removed the bar once again & welded it all up.

Needing to drive this beast home tonight, I had to reinstall it before painting but here it is anyway.

While this bar hangs a bit lower than the factory style, there’s still plenty of clearance & would be a great attachment point for a skid plate. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

A long time ago, I bought a used 1980 Rabbit. After a month or less of ownership, it broke inner CV cage a couple of times. After measuring the distance between the inner control arm mounts I found out that it was out of spec some ( I don't remember by how much and which direction), but after installing a home built tie bar with the correct spacing, I drove that car for 20+ years and well over 300K miles before it was rear-ended by an F450 service truck. Never broke an other CV joint, inner or outer.

I didn't add the triangulation like you are, so yours will be even better. Looks very nice.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

looks good...i used to use a piece of round tubing and cut a slot in the ends for 2 flat plates like 1/4 thick....i like your extra K bracing...that things not going anywhere
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

Excellent work!!! People act like those 16v factory braces are so hard to get, but few actually stand up and change that.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

Few have a welder to make that happen. It's not in every ones tool box or skill set.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

Bought the upper and lower bar from Saw-A-Way for $125 in 1986 at Bugformance Sunnyvale,
and installed them with my Rabbit on jack stands at my apartment.
Seems like yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mk I lower suspension tie bar build Reply with quote

Sway-A-Way.

Saw-A-Way is for Stihl tools. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: