Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

I have a `70 bus and I want to remove the dlx trim for cleaning ect but I don't want to damage or dent my original trim removing it. Is there a special too or trick to remove the trim from the clips without damaging it?

Thanks
T
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

Use a plastic trim tool to carefully get under the bottom edge of the trim, push down on the top edge of the trim while you pry gently up until the lower part of the trim until the clip releases.

Try to start on the right or left side of the trim piece and work across, once you get going the clips will release easier, just go easy and be methodical and the trim will come off. Mark each piece with tape/number so you don't lose it's place.

I had a few broken trim clips. They seem to be made of unobtainium, so if you find some replacements hang on to them.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
I had a few broken trim clips. They seem to be made of unobtainium, so if you find some replacements hang on to them.

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22967053-241-547.html

I can't vouch for the quality of these as I haven't needed to buy any, but I did come across these browsing the WCM site. I have a complete set of originals as a backup that I scored from thesamba classifieds years ago, but nice to know there's another option now.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

I remove it by putting both thumbs together tip to tip underneath and pushing up while pulling out with all my leftover fingers on the top.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22967053-241-547.html

I can't vouch for the quality of these as I haven't needed to buy any, but I did come across these browsing the WCM site. I have a complete set of originals as a backup that I scored from thesamba classifieds years ago, but nice to know there's another option now.

Applause

Saw these on my last order, from WCM and almost put them in my cart, but balked at the price and I didn't need a full set, only 3 or 4. I'm curious on how they work as well, and I'm willing to shell out the dough now...so thanks for the reminder on these...I'm going to pick up a set now and give them a try.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

dam, i paid more that for oem ones.

i now have enough for 30 buses Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Shocked you really have like 15K of those little bastards?

tristanblue wrote:
I have a `70 bus and I want to remove the dlx trim for cleaning ect but I don't want to damage or dent my original trim removing it. Is there a special too or trick to remove the trim from the clips without damaging it?

Thanks
T

If you need a few, hit me up via PM and I'll USPS some to you. Just ordred a set (51) from WCM.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Yeah, I don't remember the exact amount I paid for the OEM set I got, but pretty sure it was more than $30 Razz

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on removing dlx bus trim without damaging it Reply with quote

I've used those replacement plastic clips when I didn't have enough of the original metal ones to finish the job. They work fine and hold nicely, but if you need to pull the trim off again, I'd say 50% of them will break.
It's probably fine for the average owner. How often do you pull the trim anyway? But have some extras on hand if you use them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: