Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BRM's and studs?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: BRM's and studs? Reply with quote

I posted this in the wheel and tire forum, but it doesnt seem like it gets frequented often......

Hey, I'm looking to buy a set of Flat Four BRM's for my 66. Currently I have polished 5 spokes with press in studs in the rear and the cheap screw in studs in the front. My question is, is there a lug "nut" that will fit the BRM's tapered hole?? I like the press in studs and really dont want to get new drums. Thanks, Joe
rattamaque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: BRM's and Studs Reply with quote

I did some research at least for the BRMs I just bought from CIP and I have my drum already setup with 12mmx1.5 press in studs. The rims from CIP require a 60 degree taper nut. Pretty common. I have not decided what I am going to do for a nut yet. I kinda like the tuner style nuts that are basically locks. I think gorilla makes some nice chrome units. check out their site.

I will post some pics when I get this done as there seem to be alot of questions about studs, and some good posts, but no pick on how to do it

DH
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you're looking for are "Acorn" nuts, not the "Mag" type. Your studs are probably 12mm, unless you've got the much beefier 14mm installed
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM's and studs? Reply with quote

I am still debating whether to go the press in stud or not. If so, I am thinking:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=641-1264&referer=semantic&se=1&txtUser=

However, I might also choose to go with a screw in:

https://www.race-studs.com/products/m12x1-5-performance-studs?_pos=2&_sid=2a3fbf42f&_ss=r

What length would be correct with screw in?

Thank you!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM's and studs? Reply with quote

I had to cut my bolts to not bind on the shoes on my 58 when putting empire brm’s on
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM's and studs? Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
I had to cut my bolts to not bind on the shoes on my 58 when putting empire brm’s on

Was this on both front and back? I have disc brakes up front.

And to confirm, you used lug bolts, not studs and nuts, correct?

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM's and studs? Reply with quote

drums front and back, yes both front and back bolts screwing into the drums needing trimming. CIP1 says;

"Special note: We have had some reports of these bolts threading through the brake drum too far. This can result in the protruding stud hits the brake springs , shoes and hardware. Please test fit and spin all wheels when the car is off the ground to insure that there is NOT interference. If you hear any clicking or rubbing, then you will need to grind the studs down to create the needed clearance. The reason this can happen is because over the years,m many different drum manufactors have built drums for the early VW's and they are not anyway the same thickness. We cannot guarantee that you will not have this problem."

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-6683
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: