Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

I have 70 bus with rebuilt engine we installed. The engine is a stock 1600 Single Port from 1968 bus. Has a stock 30Pict1 carb and 009 distributor. Valves just checked and fine.

While out driving the bus it runs great on cold start up (auto choke closed) with zero issue. But once she gets warmed up she will give a loud POP between 1st and 2nd gear and will make some rumbling popping noises when decel in gear and throttle closed.

-009 is set at about 28-20 total advance.
-I tried increasing the main jet size and no change to the popping
-I heard could be an excessively lean condition. I am not seeing any leaks but what techiniques should I employee to check for lean condition?
-I do have the stock single pipe bus muffler on the engine but I do NOT have the tail-pipe/resonator installed....could THIS be causing the issue.
Maxpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

I would look for exhaust leaks
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

Your idle is set to low. Been there.

It might sound funny but trust me, turn in the idle speed adjustment screw a little and it should fix it.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

Classic signs of the idle mixture screw being set too rich...
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Classic signs of the idle mixture screw being set too rich...

^^^^^ THIS^^^^^ popping through the exhaust on decel is almost always too rich...
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

-Exhaust leaks, brand new exhaust and J pipes with German gaskets, not a single leak...BUT I did not have the bus resonator pipe and tail piece on hand. So it just has the single exhaust port open with NO tail pipe. Could THIS be a cause?

-Idle too low, idle is on the nose. I did try increasing very high and still pops.

-Idle set too rich comment, I have her tweaked in right where she should be. Could it be too large an idle or main? Not sure if the too rich could be it as she runs great when engine is cold and choke is closed. Would seem like it is a lean condition or vacuum leak possibly but I am could be wrong.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

Lean popping typically occurs during acceleration or steady light load. It could be that your jetting (specifically idle) is too rich and loading the exhaust with fuel which in turn fires or "pops" when you let off and it is hot
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

If you are certain it's not the tune then possibly something is going on with the exhaust.

It could have something to do with the resonator tip. In my experience they do change the exhaust tone significantly and maybe provide some sort of back pressure that helped the stock engine maintain proper fuel mix ratio on decel. Not really sure but just an idea.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

I have "heard" the resonator and extremely small single tip on the stock bus muffler had something to do with back pressure but can not recall specifics.

The tone with out the resonator is extremely throaty almost like a header sound. I took a new beetle tailpipe I had on hand and put it over the hole while engine was running and AMAZING the sound difference. The problem is that tail pipe is much larger and will not fit in the the hole so I can't get her on the road and test it out. Guess I will have to wait til the pipe I ordered get's here. That being the least amount of work I will try first and proceed from there.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

It is running too rich AND has an exhaust leak. That’s what makes the big “Bangs”!

To find it is a smoke fest, but it will show you where your exhaust leak is. Mix some brake fluid into some water. Get the engine to normal operating temperature, THEN rev it up high a dribble that mixture down the intake throat. Keep the idle up and go looking for the smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Do this test outside in fresh open air. Tell everyone that you are going to smoke the neighborhood out, so DO NOT call the fire department. Because THEY WILL CALL!

Good luck! Hope you find it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

There is no exhaust leaks, 100 miles on rebuild with all new german exhaust EXCEPT I am missing the resonator-tail pipe which could be the issue. But it is not a leak so to speak. The tail pipe just arrived today so will be testing that to see if it is the cause.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

Try the exhaust tip first that is most likely it

Could try a different idle jet size? and/or verify the current size

Where is your idle mixture set to now? How much have you tried adjusting it?

Could try adjusting the mixture screw leaner and then back off the idle speed screw. If that doesn't work try the opposite, as in, adjust the idle richer and then turn up idle speed/open butterfly to compensate. Could be an ignition advance issue too. Also if it has a vaccum advance make sure that is working.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Backfire through exhaust on decel and between gears Reply with quote

The resonator/tail pipe came today and just installed and took it for a drive....WOW! That was it! I am completely stunned at what a difference just that little resonator makes in how this thing sounds and runs Shocked

Not a single pop, fart, backfire or odd noise and it absolutely purrrrrs like a kitten. Unreal a stoopid little resonator would make THAT much difference.

Hope this info might help someone else down the road!

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: