Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ouch! That was bad
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

Well... This is humiliating.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My last welds were 20x better than these!

Was it the rusted metal?

the amps seemed ok.

or was it the dull/ bent tungstun?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

Rust will do that to a weld all day long, 90% of a good weld is material surface prep

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

Do you wire/mig weld?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

Tig. The metal was pitted and rusty however I wire brushed. Even then I couldnt get the rust to completely go away
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

Probably should have tickled it with a grinder.
Marion, Iowa
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

If you can't remove all of the rust I would push the nozzle with flux-core or MIG. It's hard enough to keep the electrode from getting contaminated with perfectly clean metal.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

I see lots of buildup and some porosity, with average penetration. Not horrible. Looks like you couldn't see well under the hood judging by the wandering path-?
The porosity is from a lack of gas... either you moved the torch away from that area too soon or your gas flow needs to be higher.

And yes you're fighting yourself if you weld over unprepped metal. A mig might have been a better choice for the dirty base metal you have
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

That is a rust sandwich. You did not clean in between the two layers.
TIG especially needs to be clean to get good results.

it's fine tho. you don't really even need to weld it. The wheel cylinder pushes left and right equally so there is almost no force on it.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

modok wrote:
That is a rust sandwich. You did not clean in between the two layers.
TIG especially needs to be clean to get good results.

it's fine tho. you don't really even need to weld it. The wheel cylinder pushes left and right equally so there is almost no force on it.

Exactly, That area is only supposed to be tacked in a couple of spots from the factory. No need to perma-weld.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

Ok so it seems like rust was the culprit. How should I of removed it? I used a wire brush and nothing happened.

I put that bead on there because the two layers had split and the cylinder was dangling. Let me see if I can find a pic.

Thanks

Eh, you cant really see it but here it is,

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

With flux-core on thicker metal you really only have to clean up a spot where you arc from first. I guy I work with doesn't even clean up metal he mig welds so I did some experiments with it. Shocked A lot of wire does end up on the floor though. Laughing

For rust like that I use a knotted brush on a 4.5" grinder. Then maybe clean it up with vinegar or acid. Vinegar is about as good as muriatic acid. Phosphoric acid is nicer to use and worth the extra money in my opinion.

Sand Blasting would give the best single process method to clean it up.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ouch! That was bad Reply with quote

I love crappy Harbor Freight blast cabinet. Makes the most unpromising part look worth salvaging again. I started welding up some punky backing plates and people were like...just get new ones, which I did but guess what? The old ones actually fit and welding them in just not all that hard compared to finding different spacers or having shims made or whatever.

And oh yeah. The old ones actually fit. And the aftermarket parts do not. They are all off in some small way no matter what it is. So if it is going to require arts and crafts and endless diddling, I would rather spend the time on something that will FIT and not give my money to the People’s Machine Works in Wong Dong Province.

And the same with rusty heater tubes...the steel just comes out of the tetanus bucket of scrap and sparky spark, it turns back into a serviceable German part.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: