Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Well after reading over the thread Joetiger pointed me to I will be purchasing a set of Toyo Open County A/T III and mounting them on the CLK wheels to run on my Syncro Doka with a 2.2 Waterboxer.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I am currently contemplating a replacement wheel/tire combo away from my current GW 16’s with Nokian Entryre 2.0’s and was intrigued with the comments about the Toyo Open Country’s. I had a set of Toyo Versado Noirs on my Volvo XC70 and really loved the wet and dry handling and wear. While they are definitely more of a street tire, the load rating on the 215 65R16 XL’s is 102, so I am thinking that these should also work well on a Westy. Anyone try these as yet?
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Put on Kumho Crugen HT51 215/65r16 and they are night and day difference to my under load limit tires. Got them installed for $385 after rebate! Low road noise, solid grip, nothing fancy.
Hounddogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I said I’d do a review on these. They’re not really aggressive looking like a lot of the tires being reviewed here, but that’s not what I was looking for. So after my first 1,000 miles on these I have to say that I really like them so far. I didn’t take them in the snow although they’re rated for it, but they’re great on the freeway, on forest roads and on wet highways. Quiet too.
Michelin Agilis Cross Climate 205/65r/15
‘83 Westfalia (Sold)
‘81 Westfalia (Burned up on the side of the freeway in 1986)
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

i don't know if this was mentioned in the 46 previous pages. but here is a good article on tires and derating: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I’ve been scouring through this thread and a few others and can’t seem to find the answer to my question.

I’ve got an ‘82 2wd Westy with the 1.5” GoWesty lift and a 2.5L Subaru engine. I’m looking at new tires...either 215/70R16 or 225/70R16 Toyo ATIII. Seems like the syncro guys have no problem running the larger size, but will I run into issues with my 2WD? They’ll be mounted on the 16x7.5 +23mm offset Mercedes wheels.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Christopher will be back next week, I am sure he will be able to offer advice on spacers, and proper fasteners. I'd email him, his contact info is on his web page.

In my opinion, the only hard thing about the wider tires is that your bus gets really dirty from crap getting thrown up. Also, of course, it depends on your weather. The wider tires are more likely to ride up/float on snow, or puddles, and that can be a whole new game than you are used to. Stock width being 185 to 195 mm (most models), adding 4cm on each corner of width on each corner is something to be ultra conscious of. Also, your balls are going to wear out faster, and if they are not recently replaced, may quickly become a problem. Can of worms there.

-bobby
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

FWIW...I'll do almost anything reasonable to prevent wearing out my balls...

Shocked Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FWIW...I'll do almost anything reasonable to prevent wearing out my balls...

Shocked Wink

- Dave

At, my age, quite the opposite: I'll live dangerously.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Let me rephrase my question.

Will 225/70R16 fit a 2WD Vanagon with GoWesty lift springs without needing to cut wheel arches? I’m rebuilding the entire front end (ball joints, tie rods, bushings, brakes, etc) and am not concerned with the extra wear on ball joints or other front end parts at this time.

Thanks!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

OMG, simple answer: Yes, you can run them Smile Wheel arches aren't different from 2WD to Syncros. Regardless if they were Syncro 16's to begin with or not. Give it a whirl!!

-bobby
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just wanted to be sure. It is my understanding that there are variations in suspension geometry and ride height for syncro and 2wd vans stock, I just wasn’t sure if the 1.5” 2wd GoWesty lift would get me up to the same height as a syncro with the 1.5” GoWesty lift....and if the disparity in height would cause issues for me running that size tire vs a lifted syncro.

I appreciate your response. Thank you.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

smeeegheeead wrote:
My 86' GL project on 215/75r15 KO2's and 15" gowesty steel wheels. Have a brand new set of AT's in the garage if anyone needs them Dancing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

Nice setup.

After checking the available mud tires and wheels online, I ended up choosing 215/75/15's also but BFG MT's. These tires work great for my backcountry travels.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hey all...I can call a tire shop Monday but just wondering the difference between...
225/50/17
225/55/17. little taller and narrower ?
235/55/17 taller again but near same with as the 225/50/17 ?
For 17x8 wheels.

Thanks.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Hey all...I can call a tire shop Monday but just wondering the difference between...
225/50/17
For 17x8 wheels.

Thanks.
Tirerack.com is a great resource for tire dimensions.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
225/50/17
For 17x8 wheels.

Thanks.

First number is width in millimeters.
Second number is aspect ratio, or the sidewall height as a percentage of width.
Final number is rim diameter. (I think you knew all that.)

Two tires with the same width will be different overall heights if they have different aspect ratios, with the bigger aspect ratio being the taller tire. Variations between mfgs can nullify or magnify these differences, but by and large, they are a pretty good starting point for comparison of which one is bigger. So, two tires that are 225 are the same width. 55 is taller than 50.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Tires are General Grabber AT2, 265/70R15 on 15x7, ET25 steel rims. They clear on my Syncro with GW 2" dual-rate lift springs & Burley upper arms w/ball joint spacers. No wheel spacers or adapters installed or needed. Tires are about 29" tall x 10.6" wide. The slider door opens, but it will rub the rear tire when you open it.

clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here is a handy website to calculate tire size.
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
Straydogsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hey folks, first post here at The Samba. I’m a new owner of a 1986 2WD Vanagon GL and have been perusing the tire and wheel related threads trying to settle on a wheel and tire combo for my van with mostly stock everything. I found this pdf http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf which was very helpful and I settled on what I thought was a winning combo for me:

15 inch alloy wheels from GW
Nokian WR C3 205/65R15C

Unfortunately I was told today by a local tire shop and later confirmed with the Nokian office, that that tire has been discontinued. I’m really bummed out because I liked that this combination maintained the OEM diameter of the rotating mass as well has having good highway, dirt, and snow performance. I live in Berkeley, CA and am mostly going to use it for light duty camping on BLM land as well as the odd trip to Lake Tahoe in the winter.

Could anyone lend some aid and recommend a similar setup to what I had settled on? PS I am not against keeping and using the stock 14 inch wheels on the van. It just looks like stepping up to 15 inch wheels greatly improves the choice of tires.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

smeeegheeead wrote:
My 86' GL project on 215/75r15 KO2's and 15" gowesty steel wheels.
[/

I have the 16” ones on my 87.
Great tire.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 57

Jump to: