Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote Start?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisBarr77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Remote Start? Reply with quote

I just bought a 84 Westy automatic with a crimestopper 202 alarm / door lock system. New to reading & comprehending the Bentley.

I’m interested in upgrading to the crimestopper SP-404 which also includes remote start.

I’d like to wire in the remote start.
Trying to make sure I know exactly which wires to hook up... still need to test light the wires to know, but looking at the instructions I need the starter wire, ignition wire & accessory wires along with two 12v hots. 12v hots is easy... but the Starter & ignition aren’t clear.

I think the Black wire is the ACC... that took seems right...?

I see the Red/Black shows it’s going to the starter, but it also looks like that goes to the fuel control unit when afterwards goes to a power supply relay then through to the fuel pump relay via a Black/White wire then on to the ignition coil.

I’m confused on what goes where & really what can I use from the ignition switch wires or what needs to be ran new.

Am I supposed to run a new wire directly to the starter solenoid... or can I?

Where do I tie into for IGN... is this done directly at the coil pack?

Looks like the large 10 gauge RED is the 12v hot.

Any help would be appreciated
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

I’m not familiar with the product and to be honest, don’t see how it can work. But all the wires you need are in the ignition plug. Heavy red is bat power. Heavy red with black tracer engages the starter. Black wire is key on power not accessory. The black and yellow wire is power in run position, but looses power during cranking with the key.

Word of caution. Don’t forget to install the key and turn it. You need to be sure you don’t drive off and have the steering lock. Also, I don’t see how it can work unless the power is continually routed through it, so I’d wire it so it can be easily bypassed if it screws up or one day when the engine won’t start.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Just a note about remote starters. I have a Dodge truck with the factory remote starter that works by pressing a button (twice) on my key fob. While it is nice when warming up the truck on a snowy day without it being stolen by some walker-by (the doors remain locked), there have been numerous instances of me walking out the door and finding my truck running when I hadn't activated the remote start. I'd have no idea how long the truck had been running. Just like the panic button, it is possible to accidently start the engine by movement in my pocket. It's a strange feeling to walk out and find your vehicle running when you didn't know you had started it, or when you had started it.
ChrisBarr77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Thank you for the details on the wiring. I found a link by a different manufacturer showing the correct hookup of the remote start to the vanagon ignition. As you mentioned... heavy Red is 12v hot all time with the Red with black stripe going to STARTER. Then the black is for the IGN & Black with Yellow stripe going to ACC.

In regards to the auto start of your Dodge Truck... that’s REALLY weird. I’d be at the dealership if it happened to me. I’ve owned a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee since new and never once found my Jeep running on its own... that’s not a worry for me at all.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

My problem with a remote start on a Vanagon is this.......

They aren't a vehicle you leave idling unattended.
That is when the radiator hose blows, fan belt pops off or the radiator fan fails to come on and you overheat!

I worry any time I step away from it leaving it run.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Black and yellow is for the load reduction during starting. Heavy consumers are temporarily shut for max cranking voltage and reduced load. Headlights, blower, ac, rear defogger etc.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Well said. The first 30 seconds after a cold start up I spend confirming all is well... good oil pressure, not on fire, no white clouds of smoke, etc.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Well said. The first 30 seconds after a cold start up I spend confirming all is well... good oil pressure, not on fire, no white clouds of smoke, etc.

those are examples of the self-activated engine-kill feature.

Is there a goal / reason for remote start?
Is it a desired luxury of sorts?
Remote start of an interior heater could be a useful feature for a Vanagon.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

That's why we have a CDH with an Afterburner. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Vanagons have no ACC function, so no wire. As mentioned they do have a Load Reduction Relay and the accompanying "X" function on the ignition switch.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
djkeev wrote:

those are examples of the self-activated engine-kill feature.

Is there a goal / reason for remote start?
Is it a desired luxury of sorts?

I hate to say it, but last summer I left my reasonably well maintained Vanagon running to warm up and a coolant leak happened. Not catastrophic but it could have been.

My guess is that modern cars with remote start have a number of control modules ready to step-in if something goes wrong.

Modern cars also are remarkably easy to exit and leave running. According to a baseball announcer, so many tourists arrive at spring training games in unfamiliar rental cars that it's not unusual to hear announcements during the game saying that such and such car is in the parking lot with the engine running.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Start? Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I used my son's car (some sort of Audi) in the UK - I couldn't work out how to turn it off! Still mystified.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: