Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn/hazard signals help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Turn/hazard signals help! Reply with quote

Ok, I went and searched the forums and found many helpfull ones, but I'm still stock with my problem and after performing different test suggested by others I gave up. Evrything was working a couple of weeks ago and now.
Here is my situation:

1966 sedan, 12v converted; 211 953 227 A FLASHER BOX

Emergency signal: I get none of the bulbs light up or any sort of blinking on them, but the speedo light bulb on but steady while the ignition switch is off, when ignition is on speedo arrow goes off.

Lef/Right turn switch signals: When turn right or left, light bulbs on but steady in either case, no blinking. Speedo arrow off.

I checked grounds, and replaced with a NEW FLASHER BOX, no success. I guess I wasted my money there Sad . Is that mean that the turn signal switch may be the problem? Can anybody tell me how to test my turn signal switch?
I'm tired of going thru the diagrams and checking all connection over and over. Please I'll appreatiate any help.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the turn signal switch is very simple. All it does is connect terminal 49 to either R or L. Just unplug those 3 wires and connect them by jumpering them by hand. Although I'm thinking your switch is probably fine, if activating the switch is making the lights come on.

Sounds like you are getting uninterrupted power out of the flasher relay. Why, I don't know. A grounded relay like this will send power straight through to light up the lights outside the car as soon as you engage the switch, then they'll start to flash off/on. The dash light, comes from a separate set of contacts, although you can just hook those up to terminal 49a and they'll flash opposite of the outside lights (on inside, off outside and vice-versa)

Are you using standard 12V incandescent bulbs?

Did both the old flasher relay and the new one have the same symptoms?

Have you thought about forgetting the e-flashers for now and just trying it with a normal VW-style 3 terminal relay? ( or even a an el-cheapo 2-prong unit, which works but I don't like them )

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm using standard 12V bulbs and Yes both flashers have the same symptoms. that is why I thought I wasted money buying another one. The old one is the original and the new one is the replacement that I got from Wwest. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953227BWW

I did not know about using the style-3 terminal I guess at the end I might need to do that, but I'll deffinetely would like to try to solve this first, since already spent some on that new one.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try connectinf the 49. I'll post what happend.
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, connecting 49 to either R or L terminals, will light up the bulbs but no blinks, just steady, same as before when turning the switch to left or right.
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an original relay with the hole in the middle? Is it bolted down? The ground for the relay is provided through that mount.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said the latest one was a WW repro, which should have a dedicated ground wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the original is the one with the hole in the middle thru which the ground is provided.
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad still noting so far, thanks guys.
rokemester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone experienced a situation where the turn signal indicator on the speedo works intermittently, but the exterior lights work fine? The longer the car has been running, the speedo indicator seems to work more regularly. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the generator/regulator. At idle the red light goes on, but during acceleration the red generator light goes off.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen or heard of 9-pin and 4-pin terminal relays (any such one with a separate terminal for the K dash warning light) go bad to where it the main contacts work to flash the lights but not connect on the secondary contacts for the dash light.

Yours is still 6V right? The gen light being on at idle on a 6V is not unusal and is OK if as long as it goes out when revved, and is noted as such in the owner's manual.

-Andy
rokemester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're absolutely right Andy, a 6v holdout. I'll check those contacts and the relay. Thanks! Enjoying the first regular NFL game of the season as I write this.
Fusillade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elikus wrote:

Did you resolve your problem?
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusillade wrote:
elikus wrote:

Did you resolve your problem?

Yes, I did. And honestly do not remember what was the problem. But it was not the relay or the flash switch. After solving the issue, I sold the car a couple of years afterwards.

Interestingly enough I just purchased another 66 Bug and guess what, after getting it home last week, it has the same exact problem Shocked

I'm in the process of finding out what it is this time.

I found this VW 9 Prong Box Troubleshooting and Replacement by Matt Roberds very helpful: http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html#Troubleshooting

and as mentioned by Matt, "Thom Fitzpatrick has put up color scans of *many* air-cooled VW wiring diagrams, not just Buses, at https://web.archive.org/web/20190816155922/http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html."

Thanks All for the help
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turn/hazard signals help! Reply with quote

An 11-year delay in responding... that has to be a record! Shocked Surprised
I'm just messing with you. Very Happy Cool

That page on the 9-prong flasher relay looks like it could be very useful. When you resolve your flasher problem on your new '66 be sure to post here what the fix was.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Turn/hazard signals help! Reply with quote

Shocked I found the issue(s). But let me start by saying, sometimes the most simple things can eat you alive Drool Drool Laughing
I just got this beetle (week ago), and the battery cables and terminals had the colors switched and you get the idea, positive pole connected to the ground... etc. Spent good time testing relay, switch, flasher and every part including ground connections all over, was getting frustrated. I should have of course of course, checked the grounding to the battery first. That’s how I found out the crossed connections.
After that the majority of the issues got resolved. Then afterwards testings gave me good results and found some bad connections. Only need the high/low beam relay for now.

If it has not been mentioned before in any post, MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS CONNECTED CORRECTLY!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: