Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 Volt Battery in a '64 (square peg in a round hole?)
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: 12 Volt Battery in a '64 (square peg in a round hole?) Reply with quote

I did a search and couldn't find an answer...

Right now I'm test fitting a 12 volt Optima battery in the stock location on a '64 using a new battery cover from CIP1 (which actually seems very sturdy and well made) and what I'm starting the think is a 6 volt only battery strap.

The cover just barely fits on and I know I'm going to have clearance problems with the cables hitting the sides because the terminals are so far to the edge. I'll either insulate the terminals with some rubber covers or cut the sides of the cover.

Anyway, the strap is obviously too short so I made it longer with a bolt. But there's just no way it's every going to lock shut. The latch just flops open.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've seen a two piece battery strap for sale from Wolfsburg West and a few other places. Would that do the trick? https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113915305A

I hate buying parts that don't fit together and paying for shipping, etc. so any advice would be appreciated. I hope to get this battery to work because I paid $160 for it!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Battery in a '64 (square peg in a round hole?) Reply with quote

You can just lay it down on its side, the terminal locations are weird, all mine are on top.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Battery in a '64 (square peg in a round hole?) Reply with quote

That spray foam in the inner panel is scary business.😬
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Battery in a '64 (square peg in a round hole?) Reply with quote

Here’s a pic of what the PO did:

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: