Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

I bought a pair of used Dellorto 36 DRLA carburetors and these manifolds came with them. Also a steel crossbar linkage and flimsy steel air cleaner bases.
I don’t know the manufacturer of these manifolds and really can’t tell if they are straight or offset. I know they will not allow the carbs to clear the stock 1600 fan shroud. Huge interference.

They will be going on an otherwise stock 1600.

Can someone ID these for me? Perhaps suggest a linkage that will work with them?

Mike T

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

If you are planning to install those manifolds onto your near-stock 1600 engine, either you'll need to retrofit a 36 hp style fan shroud (ugh) so that the carbs will clear, or ditch the manifolds (trade to a buggy guy?) and buy a set made for a stock fresh-air fan shroud. The carb flange mounting pattern is same for IDF and DRLA. Some of the offset manifolds have one runner that is shaped of a "lazy "S"" which is very different than the straight-line runners on yours. Those move the left carb rearwards and the right carb forwards so that the linkage is nearly parallel to the fan shroud. Here's a kit that contains suitable offset manifolds and a sturdy linkage, but you should check in writing with CB that the manifolds are intended to clear stock fresh-air fan shrouds.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3125.htm

Other linkage choices would be the case-mounted Scat, CSP, or Vintage Speed vertical swivel "twist" style, or a GeneBerg that fastens to the fan shroud.

Are you considering driving your Beetle down to the HAVOC meet in Manheim PA on April 24?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Thank you Rome. Good information. I suspected as much. I have already mocked up the 36DRLAs on these manifolds on an engine with a junk doghouse shroud. Lots of cutting until I finally decided this wasn't going to work.

I don't feel as bad as you do about using the 36HP shroud. I think they look fine aside from the dorky looking heat ducts - and I do want to run heat. I had already tentatively decided to go that way already.

I would ditch these manifolds as I am not in love with them. Thanks for that link.

As far as the HAVOC event I hadn't heard of that. I can't imagine being done with this engine work by then. Tempting though. I asked my wife if she would go. No! So there's that.

Other things that I am doing to this 1600 are:
Solid shaft rocker arm setup with the shims.
205 SVDA distributor
1 3/8" 4 into 1 exhaust with hideaway QP muffler
degree pulley

People here ask what is use of engine?

The engine is going into a 1973 beetle 4 spd 4.125;1 final drive
185/65-15 tires on Gurney wheels
Girling front disc brakes

Use is just local cruising the 2 lane twisty and hilly roads in Northeastern PA and long country roads in upstate NY. Fingerlakes and wine country. Little to No Highway use.

Anyone else I would like to hear your thoughts.

Mike T

mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

I agree with Rome on this and the linkage from CB performance with their manifolds is probably your best bet, you will have a real nice setup with that oh, also I would suggest 28 mm Venturies on running with your 1600 engine, your carburetors originally came with 30 m m
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Yes. I agree and will do that.

Venturis currently are 30mm, 180 air, 122 main .60 idles and unsure of accelerator pump jets.

Mike T

flat4Imp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Thank you Rome. Good information. I suspected as much. I have already mocked up the 36DRLAs on these manifolds on an engine with a junk doghouse shroud. Lots of cutting until I finally decided this wasn't going to work.

I don't feel as bad as you do about using the 36HP shroud. I think they look fine aside from the dorky looking heat ducts - and I do want to run heat. I had already tentatively decided to go that way already.

I would ditch these manifolds as I am not in love with them. Thanks for that link.

As far as the HAVOC event I hadn't heard of that. I can't imagine being done with this engine work by then. Tempting though. I asked my wife if she would go. No! So there's that.

Other things that I am doing to this 1600 are:
Solid shaft rocker arm setup with the shims.
205 SVDA distributor
1 3/8" 4 into 1 exhaust with hideaway QP muffler
degree pulley

People here ask what is use of engine?

The engine is going into a 1973 beetle 4 spd 4.125;1 final drive
185/65-15 tires on Gurney wheels
Girling front disc brakes

Use is just local cruising the 2 lane twisty and hilly roads in Northeastern PA and long country roads in upstate NY. Fingerlakes and wine country. Little to No Highway use.

Anyone else I would like to hear your thoughts.

Mike T

did you mention to your wife that it's at the Mount Hope Winery Estate? Very Happy It's a great event and I plan to be there!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Hard to tell from pics but those could be slight offet manifolds, AKA "MB" style manifolds.

Those normally have an MB cast into them on the opposite side of where your's have a "D"

Maybe they are related somehow?
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Yes. I agree and will do that.

Venturis currently are 30mm, 180 air, 122 main .60 idles and unsure of accelerator pump jets.

Mike T

Your carbs origanlly came with 50 squirters which is fine with your application, I do carry 28mm and have a 36 HP fan shroud with heater ducts scat, it's new, hopefully you can utilize those manifold.
".
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

mcdragracer wrote:
BIGMIKEY wrote:

Mike T

Your carbs originally came with 50 squirters which is fine with your application, I do carry 28mm venturies btw, hopefully you can use those manifolds without going the expence of buying new one's.
And not trying to push a sale, btw I do have a black Scat 36hp shround with heater ducts "new".

Wish I knew that before. I have a new CB Shroud on the way. Couldn't find a SCAT no way no how.

I will be working on the engine this weekend. It's on a stand and easy to get at. The fallback will be Rome's 3125 suggestion but I am going to try and make the CB 6485 linkage that I have work. Properly. We'll see.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

flat4Imp wrote:
did you mention to your wife that it's at the Mount Hope Winery Estate? Very Happy It's a great event and I plan to be there!

She doesn't do wine. I do however.

Mike T

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Hard to tell from pics but those could be slight offet manifolds, AKA "MB" style manifolds.

Those normally have an MB cast into them on the opposite side of where your's have a "D"

Maybe they are related somehow?

No marks at all on outer sides of manifolds.

Mike T

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

From those pics they do look like the slightly offset type
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

I mounted up the carbs and manifolds and installed the linkage. Everything fits pretty well save for the cross bar, it was too long. So I cut it to length and drilled the hole deeper and it turned out really good. The downlinks ended up vertical. Both fore and aft and side to side. The linkage that I bought was the CB 6485 for straight manifolds. Worked out really well. I still need to shorten the hex bar more and not sure what hole to mount the pivot ball stud in but that's about it.

Mike T

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Good that you checked on the down-rod alignment as described.

Quote:
not sure what hole to mount the pivot ball stud in but that's about it.
You'll determine that once you have your fan shroud and generator/alternator installed. Rotate your gen/alt strap so that the fastening bolt points to the 3:00 position. That gets the strap contour following the top of the gen/alt curvature closely for maximum space to the underside of the linkage crossbar. The crossbar will need to clear the top of the gen/alt, and the throttle cable arm clocked so that at mid-throttle the arm is "ideally" at right angle to the cable when viewed from the side. This ensures an equal angle of the arm and linkage when at idle and also at full throttle. You also want to avoid pulling the cable up where it exits the guide tube in the rear of the fan shroud face, because that contact adds friction and creates a wear point.

Once you have those details, put the crossbar pivot ball studs at the lowest of the carb base holes. Adjust your length of the down-rods so that at full throttle (brick on gas pedal with no return springs) your throttle arms on the carbs achieve full throttle. Each arm will rest against the stop on the carb body, or be just shy of it. You may need to cut the down-rod threads slightly if they are too long.

You can also hold the throttle arm to full open on one carb with a lightly adjusted vise grip or a tie strap. Keep the other carb's down-rod disconnected. Then work your way up the connected linkage with the down-rod length adjustments so that your throttle cable arm pivots frontward as far as possible on the throttle cable end. When you have the adjustments set on the first carb, adjust the other down-rod to match.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Yeah. That answers a lot of questions that I had and then some. As you can see in the pictures I have the ball studs screwed all the way in. Not leaving them that way. Should you have to loosen one carb to get the bar in place? Since these are mismatched parts I don't know how long the bar should be.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Take a close look at the two pictures above. Note the throttle arms. I discovered they were two different lengths. The (used) carbs as I bought them had the two different length arms on them already. I didn't notice right away. The CB kit came with shorter arms. I have both longer arms as well. Which should I use? I am tending towards the longer arms. i have fit both and the throttle action feels smoother with the longer arms.

Also I did move the Hex bar to the lowest hole in the Air cleaner bottom plate. There is about 1/8" clearance over the Generator body to the cross bar. The throttle cable does line up better now.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

I have the engine all assembled, manifolds, carb, linkage. It all fits nicely. Linkage hex bar just above the generator body. Pivots in the bottom hole in carb top. Clears the new CB 36 horse doghouse shroud nicely.

Unfortunately the carbs leak. Not sure if it's the Dellorto Drip or not. I know they could stand a cleaning and rebuild. Fuel in the float chambers and 24 hrs later The left carb is wet and dripping at the accelerator pump cover and the right carb at the throttle arm.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Is this a Dellorto original venturi or an aftermarket?

Pretty gnarly casting line is why I ask.

Mike T

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Is this a Dellorto original venturi or an aftermarket?

Pretty gnarly casting line is why I ask.

Mike T

What size Delorto?
Yes those can be stock venturies. The outside, does not matter. But the throat does.

It's a good practice to disassemble any new to you carb/s and make sure that they are clean before installation. Also it's good time to set the float level.
5-6mm is recommended.
Fuel pressure 2.5-3psi. No more than that.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

All original Dellorto parts (I think) are marked with a little diamond shaped logo. Usually stamped opposite from where they mark the number size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: