Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear box whine, or is it rear discs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Hi. When I drive my bug I get a whine noise from the rear. I'm trying to work out where it's coming from. The noise is present after a mile or so. In all gears, and when coasting in neutral until the bug comes to a halt. Box is a KCR swing. Rear wheel bearings are not old and are smooth when spinning the wheels by hand
I'm also wondering if it's the rear disc calipers rubbing on the disc slightly. Someone mentioned this happens with certain rear disc kits
If it's the box what is likely to be making the noise. Doesn't sound like a diff whine. I don't think the noise is from centre tunnel area we're the access plate is. Seams to be further out at the wheels,
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Is the rear lowered a lot?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

What did you get done to the trans, and how is it mounted? If you have a tight backlash, additional support on the pinion shaft at the 4th gear end, or have things solid mounted, that just maybe the way it’s going to sound. Did you try contacting Kevin to get his thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

You could take a look at the caliper bracket to see if it is rubbing. I had to add a washer to keep mine from contacting the disc.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

It's only lowered 1 click. The box is a 94 rebuild, but only put in last year. I got it on a deal.I'm not name dropping on a bad box, just stating who's done it.
It does have a solid nose, mid and bell housing noise. So it is noisier. But this noise doesn't start until after about 10 mins driving. Yes, from inside the bug it's sounds like a solid mounted gearbox does, until this noise starts. If the box had a problem surely it would get worse quick. It shifts gears etc quite happily. I'm in UK so don't really wanna pester Kevin with it especially as it's a golden oldie. I just need to no what it could be. If I have to have it looked at I don't want to be Lied to and told it needs a complete overhaul, as it doesn't. It's not done 1000 miles since fitting. Maybe there's a bearing above the oil line that's been run dry. I did hear that high up bearings that are above the oil level can go bad with a bug that is just started to warm it up every now and then. They need driving to get the oil all areas inside the box.
It does have a side plate, 4 spider gears that I've seen, so must of had a bit of money on it and since it's one of Kevin's I doubt it's been under built.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

The mainshaft bearing is above the level of gear oil, and I know quite a few trans builders that pack it with some sort of grease to help lubricantion in a fresh rebuild. To me, the two biggest bearings to cause a whining issue would be the mainshaft, or pinion bearing. Not really a fan, but I suppose you could change the mainshaft bearing while the trans is assembled if you have, or could create an internal race bearing puller. I still would contact Kevin, and get his thoughts. You could simply explain that it is an older build that you have no intentions of any warranty work, but would simply like to hear his opinion. Last time I was messing around on his web page, he had listed that he had records of over 17k transaxles rebuilt since going out on his own, so he may very well know exactly what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the advice. I did see some white grease that looked old and hard but didn't give it another thought really. Well if it has to come out.. That's 2 bearings I can mention to the re builder. I'll check the brake discs aren't rubbing on the mounts 1st. My luck isn't in at the moment. It's a load of work I don't need at the moment lol
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

If those 2 bearings were shot would it make a noise at a stationary position with motor at idle.
I ask because there isn't a noise if the bug isn't moving.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

The mainshaft bearing would be turning in neutral, but the pinion bearing requires movement of the vehicle/differential.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Does the pitch of the whine change with rpm or speed?
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

I'll have to check the whine pitch.
There's no noise at idle or revving it up. Just when the vehicle moves and only after 10 mins driving
That must rule out the main shaft bearing
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

I had a bus box that had a intermittent squeal , ended up being the diff carrier bearing on the load side spinning in the collar/housing .
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Thanks Wreck, I'll look into it further, hopefully its not the box
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

can you put it on stands or hoist and replicate the noise ?
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

I could put it on axle stands and run it.
Put in 1st, hopefully idle rpm will not stall it
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Hi guy's. Guess why the box is noisy.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

When you’re coasting, slightly press the brake pedal. If the noise goes away, you’ll know it’s the brakes

On mine, I had to take the rear pads off and chamfer the pad material on both ends. Once done the noise went away
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Well v dubbers.
I've swapped out the solid nose cone mount and put a standard one on . It's 50 percent better. Can't believe how much noise that little steel mount created.it made the box sound knackered. I've still got the solid bell housing mount in place. So that's next.
Mid mount is back on.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

It’s great when a problem is solved, even better when the op returns to the post to share the solution.

It’s give, and take in the performance world. The next step down imo from a solid mount is CB’s plastic type rhino mounts. They are fairly strong, but will transmit more noise than the urethane/stock rubber mounts.

The bottom line is you need to run mounts that don’t break under the abuse you’re creating. That means noisy solid mounts for hard abuse, or quiet mounts without abuse.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gear box whine, or is it rear discs Reply with quote

Yeah thanks. I doubt I'm gunna side step it. I'm more of a 2nd gear onwards driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: