Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fully Automatic 69 convertible
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

Folks - I'm going on Saturday to look at a car that is a 1969.5 (glass rear window) and the owner claims its a full-automatic - not auto-stick. He puts the gearshift in 1 and it drives forever. If you're going up a hill, perhaps you shift it into L.

Ever heard of such a thing?
Is it possible that its an auto-stick that he's using incorrectly?
Is it possible that a PO did a conversion to fully automatic? From what I've read on other posts, that's damn near impossible.

Appreciate any insight/experience you have with this.

I'll update this thread once I drive it.
THx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

I believe a conversion can be done using a Type 3 auto transmission, but it is not easy.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

This should be interesting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

My wife has a 69 KG auto stick and depending on where she is driving it she can leave it in "Range 1" the entire trip. The page from the owners manual shows that unless you are driving at highway speeds you don't need to shift into "Range 2". Only time she uses the low range is when going up a hill when starting from a dead stop.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Might want to ask the owner if he feels the transmission shifting between gears when he leaves it in range 1. If he don't feel the trans shifting gears than in all likelihood he is just using the auto stick in the broad range of driving conditions that range 1 provides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

I bet that is it.... Thanks Legacy. Really appreciate the insight. I'll validate on Saturday's test drive and advise.

Do you need to talk your foot off the gas to shift into Range 2 ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

ghiamanjc wrote:
I bet that is it.... Thanks Legacy. Really appreciate the insight. I'll validate on Saturday's test drive and advise.

Do you need to talk your foot off the gas to shift into Range 2 ?

The best thing we found is to just drive it like a regular stick shift, so yes, take foot off gas when shifting. One nice feature of the auto stick when compared to a standard shift is since it has a torque converter you don't need to put it in neutral when coming to a stop. Like a regular automatic the engine will not stall when at a complete stop and idling.

Only problems we had when we first got it was:

(1) Not putting your left foot thru the floor when you attempt to push down on the clutch pedal that isn't there.

(2) Not resting your hand on the floor shifter. I'm one of those that likes to have my hand on the shift knob. Can't do that with the auto stick because any light weight on the shift knob closes the contacts in the shifter that engages the vacuum controlled clutch.

Its a fairly complicated system but when working properly it is fun to drive.
misterh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

I once bought a Type 4 for parts, and it had a Borg Warner 3 speed fully automatic transmission (not auto stick).

Maybe that's what the car in question has.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

misterh wrote:
I once bought a Type 4 for parts, and it had a Borg Warner 3 speed fully automatic transmission (not auto stick).

Maybe that's what the car in question has.

My wife has a 70 Type 3 Fastback with a full automatic trans in it. I've driven it, and you can't just leave it in 1 and drive around all day. You can do that in 3 (drive), as it'll shift thru all gears that way.

It would have to be a conversion for it to have a full AT in it (like the type 3 uses).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fully Automatic 69 convertible Reply with quote

It is possible to convert a Beetle or Ghia to a fully automatic trans. The trans I know that has been used is from a '68 to '73 type 3. It takes some fab work but it fits. Not long ago a fully automatic conversion Herbie was sold on Ebay. I was a VW mechanic back in the '70s. Customers had many problems with the auto stick because too many things to break or go wrong. In theory they were great. But, not in real daily use. I don't know how many people I had to tell to keep their hand off the shifter because any pressure caused the clutch to engage. I think VW was trying to please a different consumer with the auto stick. We use to convert auto sticks to standard 4 speeds.
'63 OG 117
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: