Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:
I love seeing this one come back to life. I know it has been a long time coming, congrats!

Agreed. Glad to see you out enjoying your type 3 whenever you can. Cool

bally wrote:
Great updates! Yes, do get the sunroof clip. Someone will be delighted to get that. Keep the updates coming please, especially the snippets on what needed fixing and how the scenic shots. Cheers. Dave

Thanks guys. I haven't had a ton of time to spend on it lately, but I do try to make opportunities to drive it when I can. Funny, I still find it strange looking out to see the car actually in my driveway instead of in a garage covered with dust and clutter.

Hopefully the weather (and road salt) cooperate enough for me to pull off this Christmas tree mission.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Starting to look a lot like Christmas.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Glad to see the car is working out for you Bob. FYI my car may be getting a set of Newfie plates this summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Nice to see these things getting put to work. Happy holidays!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Good to see the Square hauling home the Christmas tree. We don't have any snow here, and temps this week are supposed to be low 40's, but we do have plenty of salt on the roads (even little piles of it in some places). Sad
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Glad to see the car is working out for you Bob. FYI my car may be getting a set of Newfie plates this summer.

Really? You selling? Or moving?

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Yeah, I try to use the car for errands as much as I can. Makes even the smallest tasks a little more enjoyable. As for the salt, Bob we have the same thing here, I was actually on two minds about taking the car out to get the tree. I was hoping to wait for a day that was a little dryer but in the end I said shag it, car’s made to enjoy, it’ll never see daily winter driving again, so a drive or two in the winter won’t kill it. Plus I can always hose it down.
Anyway here’s a few more pics from getting the tree.
Merry Christmas!

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Yeah, I try to use the car for errands as much as I can. Makes even the smallest tasks a little more enjoyable. As for the salt, Bob we have the same thing here, I was actually on two minds about taking the car out to get the tree. I was hoping to wait for a day that was a little dryer but in the end I said shag it, car’s made to enjoy, it’ll never see daily winter driving again, so a drive or two in the winter won’t kill it. Plus I can always hose it down.
Merry Christmas!

I'm kind of the same. Why do I want to keep it pristine for the next guy? I'm thinking I might fluid film the entire belly and cavities just as a preventitive measure. Here is me using mine. Weather was a bit nicer. And ya, it looks like there is a good chance I'll be moving back to the rock this summer. Nothing concrete yet. Gandahar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
bobnorman wrote:
Merry Christmas!

I'm kind of the same. Why do I want to keep it pristine for the next guy? I'm thinking I might fluid film the entire belly and cavities just as a preventitive measure. Here is me using mine. Weather was a bit nicer. And ya, it looks like there is a good chance I'll be moving back to the rock this summer. Nothing concrete yet. Gandahar.

Yes man, you’ll increase the Type3 population here by a 1/5. Gandahar, my old hometown. Brother is still there. Next to Gambodia.

The hardware store guys must have been surprised to see you loading up lumber!

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:

The hardware store guys must have been surprised to see you loading up lumber!

Not really, they thought it was cool. They are use to me by now.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Way to go Bob..
This might be a rhetorical question, but 'ow's da 'eat inner b'y?
Merry Xmas ol buddy!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Way to go Bob..
This might be a rhetorical question, but 'ow's da 'eat inner b'y?
Merry Xmas ol buddy!

Marrry Christmas to you and yours as well!! N’ar drop o ‘eat hat hall.

Actually tis not terrible. hard to keep the windows from fogging up. I may take her out again soon.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Just dismantled some off-cuts from that woods find squareback. I don’t know if any of it is of any use but one fresh air box looks to be OK, It's a shame I didn’t find this 15 or 20 years ago. Crying or Very sad

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Lovely early gauge. Laughing

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

All wall art Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
All wall art Laughing

Yeah, pretty much. Dash looks good from 30 feet. Laughing

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Not much new to report. Pulled the car out of the garage a few weeks back, and have been out for a few short cruises. I managed to complete a VW Fun Challenge by posing next to a purple building (funeral home and site of a covid outbreak).

Took a short vid of a ride just after I got it out. Still a bit of salt on the roads, and plenty of snow, but what odds... life is short.

Link

Seat frame is a little squeaky, needs some welding. But overall, I must say the car is running great!

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Cool ride buddy!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Well, it’s almost a year since I last updated here, there really hasn’t been a lot to report. I lost the use of the clutch while out on a drive sometime during the summer. I managed to bump start it in gear and drove it home without the clutch. Parked it, and left it until a few days ago.

Pulled it in the garage and got it up on the quickjack. Garage is pretty jam packed but still managed enough room to do the deed.

Turns out the problem was the cross arm, again, the arms bent allowing the bearing to drop out.

It broke a couple years ago, the night before our annual dubshow. I replaced it with an empi unit rather than welding the original. The aftermarket arm is of a thinner metal, but that isn’t the entire story as to what happened.

The original bushing is shorter, with the inside retaining clip/groove further to the left on the original. When I used the empi arm, I filled the space with a brass fitting, but as far as I can tell, the arm still shifted enough to provide play against the pressure plate, and eventually bend the arm enough where the TO bearing dropped out.
You can see the newly broken one on the bottom here and the old broken original on top.

Pressure plate looks ok but I’m thinking there might be a problem there as well, as there’s always been a slight noise when fully engaged, and this is the second time I’ve broken an arm.

Anyway, I’ve got a new heavy duty arm on the way, along with a new bushing and pressure plate. I have a new throw out bearing in stock and the clutch disc was replaced less than 200 miles ago, so hopefully all should be well going foward. We’ll see.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Well, I ordered a new pressure plate going by the year, I ended up with a 180 mm. Of course this engine is an oddball, with a 200 mm flywheel with 6 volt ring gear. Had to reorder a new one. Closer inspection once again shows the VWC remanufactured logo on the pressure plate.

Sometime back I noticed it stamped on everything, as this it seems is a VW Canada replacement 1600 engine from about 1966.

I’m still not sure I needed a new pressure plate, as the thing looks pretty new, it even still has the swirl marks from when it was remanufactured, but decided to go for it anyway. The old one is of a higher quality with a much thicker face than the new.

I also got a local garage to resurface the flywheel. Again it wasn’t bad to begin with, but I wanted to renew everything. I think they did a fine job. I also installed a new pilot bearing in the gland nut.

The old throw out bearing was looking a bit worn and reddish.
I’ve read that this colour is a sign of a bad TO bearing. Into the bin it goes.

I installed the new heavy duty cross arm and new bushing, you can see in previous pics that’s there was also a reddish tint to everything inside the bell housing.

So this time around I have a new pilot bearing, New main seal I think I replaced it last time around but it seemed there was a fair bit of engine oil in the bell housing and in the front of the engine. New pressure plate. Newish disk. Resurfaced flywheel, new HD cross shaft, new throw out bearing with heavy duty clips.

Hopefully this settles my issues once and for all.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: