Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘73 SB won’t start...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback, that is an old picture. I'm going to add some length of wire to the ignition to replace the wire nuts, re-check the connections to the new Bosch coil and then test again.

I'll hold off on the carb cleaning until I see how this goes...
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Had an opportunity while the kids were engaged to get some work done today. I removed the wire nuts on the wires coming from the distributor and used some shrink connectors mentioned in this thread to reconnect them. Added some new rings on the end as well. Put new spade connectors on all but the green/white wires and reconnected everything to the coil and idle cutoff.

Turned the key and it fired right up! Before replacing all these wired connections, the car was difficult to start and then needed constant feathering of the gas to keep it running. Today, it started right up and kept running with my foot lightly on the gas pedal. It stalled when I removed my foot from the gas.
Before parking it for the winter, it always idled just fine so I guess that’s my next challenge. Any suggestions on where to start would be great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

If it was me, I would go through a good tune up. Change the fuel filter. Clean the air filter. Make sure the thermostatic flap works. Adjust the valves cold. Adjust the choke cold. Warm it up, set the timing and the idle. Turn it off. Drain the oil and clean the sump screen. Get some new oil in it and start it back up. Get it warmed up again and set the basics.

Then go for a drive and see what it does!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

-Replaced Coil with a new Bosch Blue
-Replaced all wire connectors
-Removed wire nuts from ignition to coil wires and used heat shrink connectors
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced idle solenoid

Still dealing with intermittent starting and then very low idle after startup. Sometimes requiring constant pumping of the gas pedal to keep from dying or slight constant pressure on the gas pedal to keep it idling.

Plan:
-Test battery to ensure its keeping a full charge
-Re-test solenoid
-Adjust valves
-Read about how to adjust carb...
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
If I rememycorrectly I got a 11.7 volt reading when I tested the wire to the solenoid.

Are you still only seeing less than 12.0v at the ignition coil (+) terminal?

The idle cutoff solenoid and ignition get their power from the ignition coil (+) terminal. Low voltage here could prevent both the idle cutoff from being powered (or intermittently powered) and also prevent the electronic module in your ignition from working correctly.

Did you try the battery cable workaround? Connect your battery cables to your battery. Drag the other end of the cables as close to the rear of the car as possible. Using a jumper wire, power the ignition coil directly from the battery via the cables. This should get you 12.6v at the ignition coil/idle cutoff and distributor. Even while cranking the voltage drop should be minimal. Does this fix the starting problems? Does it fix the idling problem (maybe idle cut off solenoid not energizing)?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

To do that test with the jumper cables, I need to first disconnect the #15 wire from the coil, right?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
To do that test with the jumper cables, I need to first disconnect the #15 wire from the coil, right?

Yes.
Just make sure after you remove the #15 wire from the coil you don't let it short to ground by touching any metal. The ignition coil #15 circuit is not fused by default and if it shorts it will melt the wire and may start a fire.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I'll try to avoid that... Laughing

Will report back my findings.

THANK YOU
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

If your battery is weak, you will need to charge it. Using a less than stellar battery when setting up basic engine settings is asking for problems! Get the battery charged to 100% or get a new one. Money well spent.

Cars are all about basic design points. If a system is out of the design limit, it kills the other systems, dragging them down.

And go through this web site. Really some good stuff!
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune_up.html

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Update:

-returned/replaced the battery and installed it.
Tried using the jumper cables to bypass the ignition and it didn’t start. Removed the cables and re connects everything.
Tried starting and wouldn’t catch. I checked the carb to see if the throttle was working correctly and I noticed that when I pulled back on the throttle arm a small stream of gas shot out of the back of the carb onto the fan shroud. Looks like it’s coming from the accelerator pump.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
I noticed that when I pulled back on the throttle arm a small stream of gas shot out of the back of the carb onto the fan shroud. Looks like it’s coming from the accelerator pump.

Address the accelerator pump diaphragm first; maybe install a complete carb repair kit.

This may or may not get you running, but at least you'll eliminate chance of an engine fire !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Update:
The solenoid continued to make the rapid clicking sound when the engine would stall so I disconnected the wire and removed it. I installed a new old one that I had in a box of parts and reconnected the wire. Got back in the driver seat and it fired right up! Idled like the day it rolled off the assembly line. As it idled I reinstalled the air cleaner, all hoses and connections. Ran around the block a few times and it purred like a kitten.

So after ALL this time it seems that the first diagnosis of a faulty solenoid was the correct one. Unfortunately the new one i purchased was also faulty...so annoying but glad it seems to be fixed for now.

Next I need to get a new gasket for the accelerator pump and fix that dangerous leak. Jbugs has this one, I think it’s what I need. https://www.jbugs.com/product/113198575URK.html?rrec=true

Sigh of relief for today. Couldn’t have gotten this far without all of your support sambateers. I’ll hoist a drink for y’all tonight.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Replaced the accelerator diaphragm, installed a new air filter and adjusted the valves in the dark last night Laughing , hoping I didn't miss anything in the reconnection of the air breather and carburetor! I should have an opportunity to try and fire it up tonight to see how everything goes...wish me luck!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

After replacing the diaphragm for the accelerator pump I would check the quality of the discharge from the accelerator pump nozzle. If the nozzle was clogged it could have cause a premature failure of the pump diaphragm as too much pressure built up. The nozzle has a very small opening and it doesn't take much to clog it either partially or fully.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I'll check it again. Before removing it, the stream looked strong and consistent, there wasn't a displacement in the stream...
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

After sitting for a few days, it took some time to get it started but when it did, it purred like a kitten. I took it out for a ride and it seemed to be more responsive and have a bit more power, I am going to attribute that to the valve adjustment. They were super tight.

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice in this thread, without you all this thing would not be humming like it is. Much appreciated!
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Finally solved this one thanks to the collective intelligence and PATIENCE of everyone here. Turns out it was the ignition switch. After all this time, it was the cheapest and easiest part to install.
All in all it wasn’t a total loss, I did a lot of upgrades and attempted things I wouldn’t have otherwise. Big thanks again for all the help!
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:

Update:

-returned/replaced the battery and installed it.
-Tried using the jumper cables to bypass the ignition and it didn’t start.

GratefulPhish wrote:
Finally solved this one thanks to the collective intelligence and PATIENCE of everyone here. Turns out it was the ignition switch.

I don't get it. Confused
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Neither do I... Laughing

I basically went back through all the discussions and tried everything again. when I used the jumper to the coil it fired up, so i replaced the ignition switch. Seems to have been the issue all along?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: