Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Florida history
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Florida history Reply with quote

Hi, anyone know if it's possible to get a historical title copy from FLHSMV to trace vehicle history? I am in the UK, tried myself but not got very far yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Florida history Reply with quote

Probably not due to privacy concerns but I could be wrong. I think the only way would be a FOIA request but I can’t say if a non citizen can file one of those. Even if you could, I doubt a judge would grant the request.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida history Reply with quote

You can probably get some semblance of history using carfax. May not know the exact owners, but you will get locations and each time it changed hands. I know that works for newer cars, I don't know how well it works for older cars that in some states they don't issue titles for them
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Florida history Reply with quote

almost nothing seems to work for older cars....how stupid.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida history Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
You can probably get some semblance of history using carfax. ... I don't know how well it works for older cars that in some states they don't issue titles for them

Not very well. I tried a couple of services that run NMVTIS checks.

My '56 single cab was last registered in California (I had the title document), but that State didn't even come up in the results.

They came back with two results, one in Washington (possible but unlikely from what I do know about the history and it was known to be registered in California at that time) and one in Ohio (almost certainly a red-herring).

I checked with the respective DMVs. Washington said they only keep records for six months. I think Ohio had an automated service, but it said the VIN was a travel trailer. Confused

I filled in the California forms too, but they wouldn't give any information out because it was no longer registered there (exported) and they said they only keep records for 10 years anyhow.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida history Reply with quote

jmldn wrote:
Hi, anyone know if it's possible to get a historical title copy from FLHSMV to trace vehicle history? I am in the UK, tried myself but not got very far yet.

No. Privacy reasons, they say. Also, registrations (titled ownership) could have been in other states in the vehicle's history. You have to sleuth ownership history in other ways, like looking at old receipts, old registration cards in the glove compartment, and such. I have even tried giving the VIN to some cars to car dealer's service departments where I knew the car was previously serviced, but I can't get anything out of them if the service was not done in my name.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: