Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

I'm at a huge disadvantage. I'm putting together a car that someone else took apart and he did a half ass job putting it back together. When I got the car, many of the parts were put in with just a few loose screws.

I'm installing the plastic Fresh Air Screens and Boxes that are behind the Nose Grills. I have what I think are my cars original parts. I also acquired a full 2nd set from another 1971 Ghia. I'm using the spare set only for comparison. The holes in the plastic screens are identical. They all match perfectly. However the holes in the boxes are not. Out of 4 boxes, not one matches to another. It looks like the holes in the boxes and the car are drilled through at the same time. No problem here as the holes for the boxes do line up as long as I put the correct box on the side that the corresponding holes line up.

The problem is that it appears the design of the screen is that the pair of screws for the boxes should also go through the screen first. The molded in holes are approximately in the same are but do not line up at all. There is plenty of holes in the screen so I can just put the screw through a square hole rather than the designated molded holes.

The last hole which is supposed to hold the inside end of the screens also does not match up with the holes in the car. These are also not even close to being in the same spot from one side to the other? I see no signs that any holes were filled in and new ones made. The front of my car is completely original and has never been hit or had any metal replaced. It's all original.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question: As seen above, the boxes have an angled top or bottom. The box actually fits in the hole either way so what is the intended design? I suspect the angle is on the bottom?

In the two pictures above, the screws that hold the boxes, are not at the same distance when measuring from the outer edge of the openings.

In the above pictures even the holes for the screen are not at the same distance when comparing one side to the other?

I

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

Hi Marc,
I suspect that they popped the screens in, then placed the grills over using the three mounting points as a rough template and drilled away. The different locations are likely due to shifting around when holding the grill up there.
I will do the same when I mount mine. I’ll just pop the screens in, place the grills over and drill.
Dan

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

I have read about this in a different thread, it seems they had no real template in the factory (yes, imagine that Laughing ), they just drilled them into place.

So the "hand made" thing, it seems it also has some down sides mind you Razz

I know it's not that satisfying down the line, but 50 years ago, for the kind of price, "that will do" was used quite often. Maybe not so often as with British cars of the time, but let's not get into that Wink

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

Glad to know I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks for the reply's Smile

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

If I have time in the next week I will pull my grills and look. I don't remember when I put them back after painting, but they are original install for a 70 coupe. But I think baskets in, the screen screwed in to hold them.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

I had the same problem Marc, my outer screens did not match up at all with the holes drilled, so I just locked them in place through the square lined up with the hole. I thought I was doing something wrong and kept flipping sides thinking I was using the opposite part, but I soon realized they fit one way and I just tapped them in place.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I had the same problem Marc, my outer screens did not match up at all with the holes drilled, so I just locked them in place through the square lined up with the hole. I thought I was doing something wrong and kept flipping sides thinking I was using the opposite part, but I soon realized they fit one way and I just tapped them in place.
Jeff

I had to laugh as I read your post as that is exactly what I was doing. I was so determined that I was going to figure out how to line up those damned holes!! LOL Good thing my grand kids were not around to hear my language! Laughing Laughing

On another subject, Did you have trouble getting your front directional lights installed!! I spent several hours working on them and I have one on perfectly and the other has just enough of a gap between the metal and the rubber seal half way between both ends!! I'll try working on it again today.

Most of these parts are just a few screws to put on. Simple. Or so it seems but so far I've found most everything is complicated to install either because of the gorgeous curves on this car or the 50 year old parts which just are not perfect anymore and need some custom repair to get them on.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

On another subject, Did you have trouble getting your front directional lights installed!! I spent several hours working on them and I have one on perfectly and the other has just enough of a gap between the metal and the rubber seal half way between both ends!! I'll try working on it again today.

Most of these parts are just a few screws to put on. Simple. Or so it seems but so far I've found most everything is complicated to install either because of the gorgeous curves on this car or the 50 year old parts which just are not perfect anymore and need some custom repair to get them on.

YES! The light bases fit well against the body no problem, but the turn signal covers have minimal or large gaps at the top, right at the curve. Drives me nuts every time I try to adjust the rubber or tighten the screws, but no joy. As you said, I think the curves, various body work, replacement parts etc., have just been so distorted that the fixed line of the lens doesn't match up. Since the gaps are at the top, I am concerned about water flowing through and causing electrical problems or general rust and deterioration, so I am thinking of using some type of clear sealant to fill the gap. Can't think of anything else to do at the moment unless someone recommends some other way to fix.
You are definitely not out there on your own with these problems!!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

YES! The light bases fit well against the body no problem, but the turn signal covers have minimal or large gaps at the top, right at the curve. Drives me nuts every time I try to adjust the rubber or tighten the screws, but no joy. As you said, I think the curves, various body work, replacement parts etc., have just been so distorted that the fixed line of the lens doesn't match up. Since the gaps are at the top, I am concerned about water flowing through and causing electrical problems or general rust and deterioration, so I am thinking of using some type of clear sealant to fill the gap. Can't think of anything else to do at the moment unless someone recommends some other way to fix.
Jeff

Are you using original lenses or aftermarket?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Jeff

Are you using original lenses or aftermarket?

First I tried Original bulb holders, but with NEW after market lenses and new after market seals. I had a very difficult time getting the lens to fit into the rubber seal. Then I compared them to the originals and found that the after market are just slightly larger on the side section. I think it would be very doable to grind them down to get them to fit. But at that point I decided to just go ahead and try the original and the first one went in with no issues. The passenger side is now giving me trouble but I'll try to mount the bulb holder and seal first and see if I can snug it up enough to close the gap I have. I have another bulb holder that I can try just to see if it's the bulb holder that is causing the problem.

Is the bulb holder supposed to be mounted first and then the lense? I tried that at first but then found it easier to mount the bulb holder loosely and then get the lens in the seal and lastly snug up all the screws. ????

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

I'm using original bulb holders and lenses. Not sure what order they go on, I just put the bulb holders on first then the lenses. I may try tightening the lenses first, then slowly tighten up the holders, maybe they will stay closer together, and the holders will conform better around the curve of the fender. I have a feeling there was so much bodywork that original items just don't line up. No expert here, but as you said, since these were basically handmade, had I been doing any body work, I would have placed any connecting pieces to their location and worked the body to conform the the shape of the component, but that's just me....
Jeff

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

I never thought about installing as a complete assembly. I assumed they are designed to be put on sequentially cause you have to remove the lens to replace a bulb, but then that was 50 years ago and some things have changed. I’ll try the whole assembly idea.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

I think it makes sense to put the bulb holder on first but it seemed difficult to do the lenses after. Doing the bulb holder first is safer for the lens. In any case, be careful if you do the whole assembly. If the lens is tight and you over tighten the bulb holder to close a gap, the lens may crack or break altogether. Ask me how I know! Embarassed

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Fresh Air Nose Grill Screens and Boxes Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I think it makes sense to put the bulb holder on first but it seemed difficult to do the lenses after. Doing the bulb holder first is safer for the lens. In any case, be careful if you do the whole assembly. If the lens is tight and you over tighten the bulb holder to close a gap, the lens may crack or break altogether. Ask me how I know! Embarassed

That scared me straight.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: