Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics!
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

Turning to the collection wisdom here at the Samba.

Winnebago poptop is secured by 2 J-shaped latches at the front of the poptop. The van in question appears to have been slammed shut and both of these latches have come unsecured from the top.

I am very familar with Westfalia tops having restored many both just regular age as well as impact damages. I have no experience with the Winnebagos. Westfalias are one piece unit while the Winnebago is a 2 piece unit.

I have searched for exploded diagrams showing the parts break down but have come up empty handed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is a shot of the top latch in it's "normal" position.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a shot of how much deflection there is.

***** I know what the issue is. The "J" hooks securing base is a 4" piece of steel that is rivted and fiberlgassed to the roof. This 4" piece of steel has come away from the roof and is moving up and down within the cavity between the outer roof shell and inner headliner.

What I am looking for is Winnebago parts diagrams or blow ups showing the assembly of the top, or better yet, someone with first hand experience in separating the inner and outer shells on a Winnebago poptop.

Thanks!

Last edited by CdnVWJunkie on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue Reply with quote

Anybody??? I guess I had better add some pics...
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue Reply with quote

Hello Cdn
Post up a photo or two. I can look at mine and see if I can come up with an answer for you? My latches were loose and I was able to tighten them back up. Other then that I'm like you. New to the Eurovan world.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Hello Cdn
Post up a photo or two. I can look at mine and see if I can come up with an answer for you? My latches were loose and I was able to tighten them back up. Other then that I'm like you. New to the Eurovan world.

Pics Added.

The tops on T4 Westies and T4 Winnebago are vastly different.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

Cdn I'm no help on repairing that separation. The jam nuts had come loose on my top and I was able to adjust the closing tension and tighten the jam nuts. Unfortunately you have a greater task on your hands. Keep us posted. I'm curious how you solve the issue.
Best of Luck on that one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

Still hunting for an exploded parts diagram of the Winne's tops.
cwparrott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

I did not access this area of the top but when i repaired a crack in the outer shell I had to remove a section of the inner liner. What I found was there is a steel frame that is sandwiched between the outer ASA top and the inner ABS liner with what i call polystyrene foam I have some pics up. My guess is the metal plate that the J bolt chests into is just bent and crushed the foam.

I would either cut the liner and see whats happening or just put grab it with large vise grip and bend it straighen it

last pic show the back metal frame
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

This is very helpful info. Thank you.
ceebsonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

I have what I think is the exact same issue. The "J hooks" don't seem to be attached to anything and move freely up, down, and side to side. Did you ever figure out the problem/solution?
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:

Probably not too helpful, but take a look at page 30 in this pdf:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/2003/ev117a.pdf
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

JMB3 wrote:
CdnVWJunkie wrote:

Probably not too helpful, but take a look at page 30 in this pdf:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/2003/ev117a.pdf

Wow - I never saw that. That is a super helpful PDF. Thanks for the post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ceebsonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

I finally fixed the broken latches on my newly acquired '95 EVC. The bracket that the "J-hook" threads into is riveted to the roof frame from the top, making it pretty impossible to fix without taking the roof apart. The only way I could figure to avoid this was to ditch the rivets, drill 4 new holes in the bottom of the frame, and run bolts through the new holes and the existing rivet holes. Couple of pictures:

leadvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Winnebago Poptop Latch issue- Now with Pics! Reply with quote

I wanted to post this solution that I saw on a friends EVC. Our 95 camper poptop hooks had this same issue of pushing upward into the roof. This repair took under an hour and required no cutting. I ordered the 3"x1/2" fender washers and used smaller washers as shims to avoid crushing the plastic roof once tightened. My hope is it is strong enough, as the pressure against the plastic interior only occurs during the latching of the roof......time will tell, but for now it works great and my girlfriend can close the roof by herself again.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: