Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hundreds of pinholes in paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

I sanded all the orange peel out, went to buff, there are hundreds of tiny pinholes in the paint. Not sure if you can see them in the photo.
Go back to wet sanding and see if I can take them out without going through clear?
Or scuff it, and mask off the rest of the car and reshoot the panel??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

I’m thinking you’re going to have to sand them out and clear the whole panel again. Strange it’s just the 1 panel. Maybe it was contaminated with something?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

I think pinholes are caused from the previous coat(s) of paint outgassing. In other words, applying your next coat too soon.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

Yeah that's solvent pop. Could be caused by the paint being applied too thick so the previous layers were off-gassing still when you re-coated.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

I agree with solvent pop. Thats why I always extend the flash times well beyond the time suggested.

There is a BIG difference in time between the flash time and the recoat window so I always at least double up the flash times to make sure things are settled down.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

OK, I don't understand why I would only have it on one panel. I bought some Meguir's buffing compound, the stuff rated at 105 to try and remove the holes. My son said its going to take sanding as the buffing compound,, even the 105 ultra cut is going to take forever. I have not done anything yet, weighing my options. If I scuff it up to put another coat of clear on it, what do I need to scuff to, 1000 grit? Is the clear going to go down into the holes, or is it going to just sit on top and I have voids instead of holes?
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, I don't understand why I would only have it on one panel.

Well it could be that it was a flat panel that got more paint. Or it might have been the last panel you painted that was not quite off gassed yet? Or a combination of the two?

Its very frustrating for sure.

You can't just "fill" the pinholes with clear. You have to sand the panel flat and remove them. Then you can determine if you need to shoot more base.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

OK I will put 1000 grit on the DA and slowly work it down. Hopefully I don't burn through. Base coat is water based paint, which was a dream to spray, but I had not counted on any rework on it. If I succeed in getting rid of the holes without burning into base, then I will spray probably two more coats of clear so I have enough thickness to sand off the new orange peel.
Marion, Iowa
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

Update: scuffed the panel with the pinholes last night. Moved around to the other side to buff that. After a little buffing I noticed that panel also has the pin holes, so its not limited to one panel. Prior to the buff, I could not see those holes. Its almost like I have to buff it a little, then they appear. So the rework is a larger task than I thought.
Marion, Iowa
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Update: scuffed the panel with the pinholes last night. Moved around to the other side to buff that. After a little buffing I noticed that panel also has the pin holes, so its not limited to one panel. Prior to the buff, I could not see those holes. Its almost like I have to buff it a little, then they appear. So the rework is a larger task than I thought.

It’s cause compound is getting in the holes and when it dries it turns white and shows up.
Been there before. It sucks ass. You likely will have to sand them out and reshoot. Try using thinner coats and allowing at least a half hour between coats.
Good luck.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

Did you spray the car in a real spray booth? You need the constant air flow to get water born basecoat to dry, unlike solvent base paints that will flash off by solvent evaporation.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: hundreds of pinholes in paint Reply with quote

Base coat isn't the problem. I sprayed that and then had a delay, had to lightly scuff it to put down the clear. It was good and dry when the clear went over it. If I remember right it was a 2 day delay. I do like the water based paint, thats all I will use in the future.
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: