Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

Hi everyone

just wondering if I can get some help and ideas on the best way to do this. I was having a good look around and searching for a good thread for info or ideas but couldn't find to much.

I have a 69 kombi which has a small little single port on a 3 rib gear box and its good and I like it but a friend of mine had a berry blowers AMR500 set up for a twin port that he decided he didn't want to use any more so I got it off him. later on I will change to a 5 or 6 rib that I have which I will get rebuilt but for the moment i will use the 3 rib. the Berrys kit I got is to use a Pict34 but was thinking I will go with the updated style which is using a DCOE40 carb.

The plan for the kombi is to tour around with it on long road trips and go camping, I'm in Australia and the climate is 40+ degree (104F) summers and down to 10 degrees or lower for winter (50) but does get below 0 and some snow.
ideally looking for a nice torquey engine that I don't have to rev to the moon.

So my first thought has been to build a nice 1776 with the blower on it but I'm not a 100% sure if that is the right size to go with but happy to hear peoples opinion or experience on what has worked will, the 1776 is just what I seen was as big as you can go with the AMR500

I have a few AS41 cases that I was looking at using and I will take them to a VW machinist to get them to check it over and bore out the cylinders for the larger barrels or which ever case is better.

I have a set of newish heads with about 5000kms on the but I don't know the specs on them so will have to dig them out and double check

The cam shaft I have gotten a dedicated blower camshalf which is made by engle with the specs JB200 – 437″ lift / 294 degrees duration / 112 LC

so my biggest questions are is the 1776 the size I should be looking at?

would using a vacuum advance dissy or non vaccum dissy and locking the timing be a good way to do it or would it be better to use an stand by ECU to manage the timing?

and what CR should I be aiming for ?

I have a heap of other questions but interested to hear what other peoples ideas or experiences are

I hope that makes sense

Thanks everyone!!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

Hello.
WAAY too much cam for what you´re aiming for. You want a cam in the area of 276 seat duration and 235 @ 0,050" No more. 110-112 LC could be interesting to have, but not 100% nessessary.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

I know that you have the blower already and want to use it but... for a Bus for long trips? That's an unusual combination for sure. Force feeding an engine in a heavily loaded Bus at part throttle for hours at a time sounds like a hot engine with high fuel consumption issues to me. But... I have not done it myself.

I think you would be happier with a turbo in the long run.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

blink wrote:
Hi everyone

just wondering if I can get some help and ideas on the best way to do this. I was having a good look around and searching for a good thread for info or ideas but couldn't find to much.

I have a 69 kombi which has a small little single port on a 3 rib gear box and its good and I like it but a friend of mine had a berry blowers AMR500 set up for a twin port that he decided he didn't want to use any more so I got it off him. later on I will change to a 5 or 6 rib that I have which I will get rebuilt but for the moment i will use the 3 rib. the Berrys kit I got is to use a Pict34 but was thinking I will go with the updated style which is using a DCOE40 carb.

The plan for the kombi is to tour around with it on long road trips and go camping, I'm in Australia and the climate is 40+ degree (104F) summers and down to 10 degrees or lower for winter (50) but does get below 0 and some snow.
ideally looking for a nice torquey engine that I don't have to rev to the moon.

So my first thought has been to build a nice 1776 with the blower on it but I'm not a 100% sure if that is the right size to go with but happy to hear peoples opinion or experience on what has worked will, the 1776 is just what I seen was as big as you can go with the AMR500

I have a few AS41 cases that I was looking at using and I will take them to a VW machinist to get them to check it over and bore out the cylinders for the larger barrels or which ever case is better.

I have a set of newish heads with about 5000kms on the but I don't know the specs on them so will have to dig them out and double check

The cam shaft I have gotten a dedicated blower camshalf which is made by engle with the specs JB200 – 437″ lift / 294 degrees duration / 112 LC

so my biggest questions are is the 1776 the size I should be looking at?

would using a vacuum advance dissy or non vaccum dissy and locking the timing be a good way to do it or would it be better to use an stand by ECU to manage the timing?

and what CR should I be aiming for ?

I have a heap of other questions but interested to hear what other peoples ideas or experiences are

I hope that makes sense

Thanks everyone!!
..................................................................................................................hi i am building a dick landy super charged motor for my 1600cc motor . i am using a stock cam .never use a big cam for a super charged motor the biggest cam i would use is a engle 110 next would be a w90 engle cam its a cheater cam why i am using a stock cam .is because i like you i want to drive it in town and and pull hills with out down shifting the trans .a stock cam is more street friendly . and i dont want to over heat the motor on 96 deg. days .in the dick landy book on super chargers . it says never over cam a super charged motor .they say use a stock cam or one step up from a stock cam . on a dizy never use a vac. disy . i am using a mallory dizy with 14 degs. intal total 24degs all in by 2,500 rpm dont lock out a dizy like the turbo guys do it dont work on as super charged motor . keep your CR. down to 71/2 to oneor 8. to one CR. on your carb make sure you jet it rich . my self i would keep the trans you have in your bus because its geared for a small motor . i am sure your going to put a lot of heavy things in your bus on long trips thats .why vw used the trans you have in your bus. it helps the small 1600 cc motor pull hills and heavy loads. when vw went with the 6 rib they had a motor that was built for that trans alum case bigger rods bolt on fly wheel bigger fan housing for more cooling bigger oil cooler remmber your useing a fan housing that was made to cool a 1600cc motor .use the thickest wall cyl. you can find . 90mm are good the thick wall 92s is good or 1600 cyls are good. i am useing male forg. pistions .heat kills vw motors take care good luck just my two cents take it or leave it spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

Hi Guys thanks for that

thanks ALSTRUP
the only reason i ask about the cam is just cause i got it with the blower, looks like i will have to find something a little smaller.

OPRN
I was thinking the same but i thought i would try something a little different and my mate wasn't going to use it so it was a good excuse.

SPENCERFVEE
Thanks for that info
that gives me heaps of info to work on. i got a nice dissy i will get rebuilt and then set it so it doesnt give me to much timing.
i will have to have a look for a nice cam too, the w110 i have used in the past so will maybe go another one of them.
I will put a full flow system on the engine with a nice sized oil cooler thermostat and fan to help.

my thought with the gear box was just if im going to on the highway for awhile that it would be nice to be sitting at a nice rpm for the engine aswell as being close to the speed limit.

Should i be looking at just a 26mm oil pump?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

A 26 mm pump should be sufficient. Youre not drawing any oil from the pump to anything else but the engine.
A draw through charger set up doesnt heat the intake up quite as much as a blow through, so I think it should be ok.
Silent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Building a nice supercharged engine but need help please :) Reply with quote

Hi Blink!

So, have you built your Supercharged engine? I am planning on building one too and any info would be good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: