Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker Arm Setup
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

Alright. I’ve been messing with the rocker arm set up/geometry on my engine build. Having some troubles. Questions:

I opted for the CB Performance solid shafts with the elephant foot adjusters. Are they supposed to line up center of the valve looking at them from the adjuster/pushrod tubes. Straight on. or sit off to one side or the other? And do I run the adjusters all the way up and turn them in so much or what’s a good starting point to have the adjuster at?

Shimming. I’ve shimmed the shafts up to .150 and I’m close to level which is what I understand I’m going for. The pushrod side of the rocker needed to go up. Too much shim? Or is this fairly normal?

Any other tips you can throw my way?

I know I ask a lot of questions on here. I really appreciate the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

This gets asked once a week. Grind the rockers back so you can turn them back more.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925154
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

I just purchased new CB rockers and shafts. ????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

True- and they'll hold together as advertised shimmed out a bunch... even with sub optimal geometry.

BUT like most things, new does not equal optimal. New equals functional. If you make the rockers so you can retract the elephant feet deeper then the geometry will make sense.

I wrote you a little rhyme on the matter:

If you want it done right, you gotta lower that shim height.
Just send em' to Tabari, you won't be sorry.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

Read here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751867

Only three threads away from yours
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

Sounds like I need to either buy another set from Tabari or send mine out there. Quicker is better at this point. Whichever is faster. I’m on!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

Link

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

he is clueless.no I wont argue the point.
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Not asking you to argue. But I just finished watching EZ's YouTube video right before I saw this thread. Is it because he was talking about using thick shims (.120") first instead of cutting your pushrods to correct length? Seemed to me during my research here and talking to other engine builders that shimming the rocker shaft, especially that much, is unwise.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

Shane Tuttle wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Not asking you to argue. But I just finished watching EZ's YouTube video right before I saw this thread. Is it because he was talking about using thick shims (.120") first instead of cutting your pushrods to correct length? Seemed to me during my research here and talking to other engine builders that shimming the rocker shaft, especially that much, is unwise.

Most times doing something the easy way is the wrong way. I would never use more than .060” shim.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

I took about .070" off the bottom of my stock rockers and added .130" shim under the rockers while using CB's Swivel Feet adjusters with solid shafts. I didn't want to buy new pushrods at the time since I was running a W-100 cam.
I spent a lot of time working out the geometry and I came up with the best scenario I could with what I had.
I ran it that way for at least 12,000 miles and it showed no ill effects.
Just because it ain't the way some say doesn't mean it won't work.

Get the half lift as close as you can and you will be fine.

I also ran a W-100 with 1.38 ratio rockers giving me .526" lift and I used 10.630" long .035" thick steel pushrods for a season using the outside spring of the CB 650 springs.... and the cam, lifters, chinese rockers, lash caps and valves were in perfect condition.

I now have the same upper valve train but switched to a FK-42 cam that's designed for 1.4 rockers....not because I had to but to try to move the peak power up to 5000-5500 instead of 4700-4800 rpm.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

.150 worth of shims can be needed to get "90 at half lift" with a stock camshaft.
the more lift, the less shims needed

The center of the ball joint hould be positioned where the tip of the stock screw used to be.
This requires grinding the rockers to allow it to be backed out that far.
If the adjuster is EXTENDED farther out of the rocker from NOT doing that, you are making a variable ratio rocker with higher ratio closed and lower ratio open. is that good or bad? IMO, worse. IMO it is better to be constant ratio or slightly progressive.
Most people don't understand enough to have an opinion on that, which makes it hard to discuss.
but a WIDE survey of people doing it one way or another randomly, seems to show that a progressive ratio does work better.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

I'm going to have these rockers worked over and go from there. I would start grinding on them myself, but I've never done it and I don't trust my lack of knowledge and experience on this one. Normally...I would have at it. But probably not the way to go here.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

T will hook you up if you send them to him. His work is excellent and great to work with
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

Got the rockers back. Look good! Now to put them together. Questions. When setting these up do I want the adjuster aligned to the right a bit or dead center of the valve when starting out? Meaning before the rocker starts to push the valve.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

They were originally about 1mm off center toward the pushrod.

I noticed CB's latest reproduction stock rockers seemed like they were centered.

Not a big deal, whichever way works out best.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

I'm with Clone bug and Modok on this subject
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

either way, but if you have extra lift&ratio you may have pushrod to tube cleance issues so...you can sometimes offset the adjuster some to get the clearance you need. be sure to set the rocker side play between .002&.004" for quiet operation.I use lash caps on all my builds and have for well over 40 years with zero issues.I wont use a tight fitting lash cap. for the guys that seem to have issues with lashcaps comming off...it's not the lash caps fault.it's the builder or drivers fault.unless it got leened out real bad...still not the lash caps fault in any way.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
either way, but if you have extra lift&ratio you may have pushrod to tube cleance issues so...you can sometimes offset the adjuster some to get the clearance you need. be sure to set the rocker side play between .002&.004" for quiet operation.I use lash caps on all my builds and have for well over 40 years with zero issues.I wont use a tight fitting lash cap. for the guys that seem to have issues with lashcaps comming off...it's not the lash caps fault.it's the builder or drivers fault.unless it got leened out real bad...still not the lash caps fault in any way.

I put lash caps on. Can’t see where they would come off set up at 0 lash. I guess they could. I hope they don’t Shocked
oldgit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker Arm Setup Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
This gets asked once a week. Grind the rockers back so you can turn them back more.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925154

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Tabari, Machined me a set of rockers, trust me its money well spent. I know if I went at it with a grinder I would take way too much off. I dont mind paying for good work.

Oldgit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: