Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

I did a search on here and I couldn’t exactly find the answer to my question so here goes. My son took apart the CV joints on his 73 Bus to replace the boots, clean and repack the joints. He didn’t pay attention to which end was which and I wasn’t watching. I’m seeing that the joints have two different bearing sizes. Two large bearing and two small bearing. Is the larger bearing joint the inner and the small the outer? Are they supposed to be the same joint and these were replaced with the wrong parts? In the threads I read there was no mention of two different size joints. The axles were attached to a trans we bought separate from the bus as it didn’t have one. It is the correct transmission for the year of the bus. I’m wondering if it was in a buggy and they just used different joints or what. Thanks for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

All four original joints were identical.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

You're referring to ball bearing diameter differences?
Early (68-70) CVJ balls were .687" diam. Late (71 on) were .750".
Other vehicle types may have had their own sizes.
As long as no mix-'n-match of parts happens, the different bus CVJ's
should be completely interchangeable.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

If they were identical originally that’s what I’ll put it back to. Where’s the best place to buy them in your opinions and what’s the best part to get?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
If they were identical originally that’s what I’ll put it back to. Where’s the best place to buy them in your opinions and what’s the best part to get?

I would just tend to run them as is if the pitting of the races isn't excessive, maybe match them so one axle has the small balls and the other joint has the large balls. If you are set on replacing them, Lobros is the way to go for the CV bearings themselves and do some reading on the best boots.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

Lobro
Empi
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bus CV Joint Bearing size Reply with quote

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: