Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 super beetle fuel injection problem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Have a 79 super here. Working on this for someone, he replaced the fuel injectors, distributor with electronic ignition, fuel pump, coil, double relay. Here is where its at after ive messed with it. It will not start with the ground for the double relay hooked up at the battery or unhooked but if i tap it on and off at the battery it will run, not good but will. Im no expert on these fuel injection engines so im stumpped. I will include a couple pics of 2 things that are not hooked up in the engine compartment just in case that could be an issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

when you are taping it ,you are forcing the relay to do what the low amp circuit should be controlling.
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Unfortunately shooting the parts cannon at it has now disguised the original problem, I hope you kept all the old parts since alot of "new" stuff is trash.

The first thing I want to see is a picture of the top of the alternator showing all the way from the shroud to the battery terminal, I have a suspicion.....

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Unfortunately shooting the parts cannon at it has now disguised the original problem, I hope you kept all the old parts since alot of "new" stuff is trash.

The first thing I want to see is a picture of the top of the alternator showing all the way from the shroud to the battery terminal, I have a suspicion.....

This is not my car, i kinda got suckered into trying to figure out his problem.
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Gotta see the terminals on the alternator and what wires are on there, or at least a good description of what's on what.

What's the spade terminal laying on the tin in the lower left by cylinder #4, is the temp sensor #2 connected?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Is that a disconnected head temp sensor by #4?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Yes, temp sensor is not hooked up. I have no idea where it hooks to.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Eric Shelton 01 wrote:

If the rusty spade connector hanging loose to the left of the fuel line traces back to the ECU - that’s probably your TS2 connection.

The braided fuel line looks old. Inspect it, and all the others. Very important to replace these if they show any age or wear. I had a dangerous fuel leak last week, don’t let it happen to you.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Agreed, that fuel line looks super scary, replace every single one before getting in much deeper, a fire only takes seconds to get out of hand.

If the TS2 is disconnected it'll overfuel, tapping the ground on the battery terminal would run the injection intermittantly reducing the mixture enough to sort of run. Forget about the alternator for now and hook up that temp sensor.

Слава Україні!
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Agreed, that fuel line looks super scary, replace every single one before getting in much deeper, a fire only takes seconds to get out of hand.

If the TS2 is disconnected it'll overfuel, tapping the ground on the battery terminal would run the injection intermittantly reducing the mixture enough to sort of run. Forget about the alternator for now and hook up that temp sensor.

So does the temp sensor connect to the spade by the fuel line shown in pic?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Eric Shelton 01 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

So does the temp sensor connect to the spade by the fuel line shown in pic?

It should, confirm by closely inspecting the wire for a tiny black number, it should be #13 (may have rubbed off), or disconnect the big long plug from the ECU and confirm it's got continuity with terminal #13 in the harness plug.

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

To be sure it’s the TS2 connection:

Look up the TS2 pin# on the ECU in Bentley.
Pull the connector off the ECU.
Check continuity from the spade to the ECU connector.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Yes, that loose flat blade connector is the one to tie into. It had a plastic cover over it. You can cut it off, install a new female end, install a new inline clear connector for VWs, and connect the temp sensor to it. Should make a world of difference!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Also you may want to test the temp sensor before you hook it up. As stated it's critically important to be connected. None of mine will run with it disconnected. And yeah...change all those fuel lines ASAP! Let us know how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Shelton 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Ok fellas ill try those things listed midweek when im back at home. As listed this is not my car, i just offered to try to help this guy out. He got this bug from his in laws, when he got it i guess the grandkids had gotten under the hood and unhooked many things. Im an early bug guy, not used to all this extra "STUFF" LOL under the hood.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Another bit to keep in mind. The L-Jetronic fuel injection system hates vacuum leaks! Even one small hose disconnected can cause starting/running issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

Eric Shelton 01 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Yes, temp sensor is not hooked up. I have no idea where it hooks to.

Interesting, my car will not start when that wire is disconnected. That sensor connects to the analog computer behind the rear seat. Try tracing for that wire in the harness, it needs to be connected.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 super beetle fuel injection problem Reply with quote

The connector for the temperature sensor should come out of the harness like 6 in above the driver side injectors. Just trace up the injector harness and you should find the single wire with an inch and a half or so connector block...long skinny shape
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: