Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

The doglegs on my 1966 deluxe are mainly good, with just a little rust on the top face and where the inner part

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and seeing as these are all pretty much flat surfaces I was thinking I could cut through as kenshapiro did here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6822661#6822661 and remove the lower inner and outer doglegs on both sides, separate and repair.

So there's going to be a couple of spotwelds to remove on the seat pedestal, but I'm trying to figure out how the front attaches - is it spotwelded and also welded along the edge sandwiched in between the A pillar and front valance?

Also should I be bracing before I cut out the old dogleg? The front valance etc is pretty solid, but the floor is out.

Thanks in advance...
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

Since no one's chipped in...
It's up to how much time and energy you want to spend patching. I went the patching route with my bus and got about halfway through one side before I found more thin metal and said screw it. There's always more rust hiding.
I got WW doglegs and I'm very happy with how they fit.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

mrs Scratchit I’d replace the whole dogleg and do the outer floor repair.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Since no one's chipped in...
It's up to how much time and energy you want to spend patching. I went the patching route with my bus and got about halfway through one side before I found more thin metal and said screw it. There's always more rust hiding.
I got WW doglegs and I'm very happy with how they fit.

Yeah I think I've just been watching a few too many of Fitzee's Fabrications videos on youtube and now I think I'll just be able to knock up any panel I want with my roughly half hour's worth of welding experience Laughing

If it was obvious where the spotwelds were and they were easy to get to I think I'd still have a go, but I'm still puzzled as to how it all attaches at the A-Post.

Regardless of whether I try to remove it intact, or chop it where it meets the A-post to give me space to work and then drill out the welds to remove where it's attached, I'm going to have to figure that out - It's kind of a sandwich with the lower front valence, the A post, and then the dogleg flange, but does the valence fold over everything down there, or is it just welded along the edge of all 3?

Braukuche wrote:
mrs Scratchit I’d replace the whole dogleg and do the outer floor repair.

I'm a Mr and I wish it was only the outer floor, hah! But yeah as a complete novice a lot of what I'm trying to figure out is balancing original metal and smaller repair panels vs not having to try to join two bits of metal in the middle of a panel and end up with something that looks good.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

Quote:
If it was obvious where the spotwelds were and they were easy to get to I think I'd still have a go, but I'm still puzzled as to how it all attaches at the A-Post.

Here you go:

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Quote:

Here you go:

Aw mate you didn't have to cut a hole in your floor just to show me... Very Happy

Many thanks, so as far as the outer front valance, the A post and the flange of the dogleg, I've just taken a photo of mine and it seems like the dogleg attaches to the A post, and then the edge of the lower font valance folds over the top of those two slightly:

(We're on the right hand side of the bus, looking towards the front, so dogleg on left hand side of the pic, lower front valance on the right)

Not sure if this is how it should be from factory or not (There's some OG paint still there it seems), but from the looks of it I'm going to have to go along that edge with a grinder to free the flange that attaches the dogleg, right?

Also just noticed how the edges of the bottom of the A post closing panel and the A post are welded slightly along the seams too - I'm Ideally not going to mess with any of that but is that factory too?

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

Here's the other side:

Definitely looks like the edges of the 3 parts are welded at least partially together

Looks like I'll have to peel back the flange of the nose slightly but that's okay as I need to replace the bottom 100mm anyway:

Having trouble seeing where the spot welds are where the seat pedestal is attached to the inner dogleg:

These are the spotwelds that are going to be very hard to get a drill into:

Hmmm.... 🤔
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

Cut the bulk of it out then worry about the scraps that are left.

It's just bus surgery! Tackle it a bit at a time.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Cut the bulk of it out then worry about the scraps that are left.

It's just bus surgery! Tackle it a bit at a time.

I think you might be right - I'm still looking at it and wanting to patch what's in there but it looks like it's going to be really difficult to remove all the spotwelds at the front with the dogleg in place.

You said you initially tried to go down the patch route, were you doing that with the dogleg in situ or did you remove yours too? If so, how did you go about it?

I'm thinking after cutting through the angled wheelarch section above where the flange on the inner is rusty, I'll just slice through either:

a) through the dogleg in front of the A Pillar, and then drill out the spotwelds

PROS: easy access to the spotwelds on the A - pillar
CONS: Welding an extra seam across the dogleg (Although if I'm going to attempt to patch what I've got, I'm going to need to be able to be competent enough to achieve that anyway

or

b) Cut the bottom front of the A Pillar off with the dogleg attached

PROS: One less seam to align on the dogleg, and I do need to repair both A - Posts
CONS: It's not going to give me that much more access to those spotwelds on the inner corners.
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

I have doglegs out of alignment on both sides. Trying to figure out if I can get these shaped properly without too much work.

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

mikelars wrote:
I have doglegs out of alignment on both sides. Trying to figure out if I can get these shaped properly without too much work.

Hmmm is that after replacing them? It's part of the reason I'd like to save as much of mine as I can...
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dogleg Repair Thread - Remove and repair? Reply with quote

So I decided to dig in today, and looking at the passenger side, I'm going to try to patch it in situ:

Here's a couple of holes on the outer:

Cut with a cutting disc on a grinder:

(I think I need a smaller cutter...)

This little guy decided the dogleg was an appropriate sarcophagus :

Metal seems thick:

(I've cut along because I'm planning on recreating the lip on the inner dogleg, and assumed that where the metal was thin and holed would probably be the same all along

Chopped out:

Should be easy enough to make a section to go in here. (He says, having never made a repair section is his life!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: