Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: 72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation Reply with quote

Hey guys I am very new to the VW world. I inherited a 65 from my father-in-law that I will be starting on soon. My 20 year old son purchased a 72 Super Beetle a little over a year ago without taking me or my Dad with him to help check it out. So the engine blew before he even got it home. We think a loose spark plug blew out and and burnt up the cylinder head. The guy had told him it had been re-built but that must have been top end only as the bottom end needed all new bearings. Anyway the engine is done and ready to put back in and we are finding the wiring to be a huge mess. Lots of spliced, melted and cut wires just taped off not going anywhere. We were going to try to repair it but I'm thinking we just need to get a whole new wiring harness the more we check it out. Sorry for the long story but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for brands or suppliers they would recommend. These are a few I have found:
JBugs https://www.jbugs.com/product/WK-133-1972.html
wolfsburgwest https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133971011A
cip1 https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C17%2DWK%2D133%2D1972

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help!
Kevin

Last edited by bw65vw on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation Reply with quote

Scroll down here for VW kits. It would be my choice -

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation Reply with quote

I second the rebel harness if you intend to replace the enitre wiring to the entire car.
If your just looking the rebuild the engine bay side of things you could make you own. the only electrical in the engine bay is + to the coil, wire from the brake switch to the brake lights, the turn signals, reverse light off of the transmission switch. and the wires to the alternator and the license plate light. plus grounds.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The whole car needs to be re-wired as alot of the melted wires were near the battery under the back seat. It looks like this kit has a different shape/size fuse box with new style fuses. The new style fuses would be nice but may need to modify the opening some?
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West harness was plug and play with great instructions. The quality is top shelf too.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle wiring harness recommendation Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: