Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan GOT some new wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Eurovan GOT some new wheels Reply with quote

Gearing up for a spring trip out to the desert. One of the things I want to do is to put summer tires on the van, as right now we have some dedicated snow tires. I prefer to have summer and winter tires mounted on separate wheels so that I could easily swap. I picked up a set of 2002 Mercedes C320 wheels. They are almost the same spec as the Go-Westy wheels. I decided to use the stock steelies for winter mainly due to the fact that they do not stick out as far, and will help keeping road grime within the fenders. I am going to reuse 2 old tires for the rear and get 2 new Nokians for the front.

Here is a picture from last nights test fit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have hub centric rings coming from ESC. Need to decided on lug bolts. These wheels will need M14x1.5 "small ball seat" bolts. I have already drilled out the lug holes to 9/16"

Questions:
Do all small ball seats use 17mm hex head. is there such a thing as a custom small ball with 19mm hex head. Is small ball R12 and large ball found on our vans R14? The ball seat spec is not listed much by the vendors.

ANd what is up with lug bolts vs stud and lug nuts. Sure is a pain to mount the wheels. At least it isn't a 60lb truck tire. Am considering a stud conversion, anyone have experience doing one. If I do it, now is the time before I get another set of lug bolts.

Last edited by MrPulldown on Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Mr Pulldown....

Your new best friend will be a cheap bolt from Lowe’s in silver cheese Stainless steel , 15-20 cm in length, matching your lug bolt threads of M14 x 1.5

Off with its head....

Now put a piece of heat shrink over one end

Presto! A wheel hanger to put your wheel on while you start the bolts

Now mark it up 500%, put bendy chick #vanlife video on the ad, and let the dollars flow in
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Can't imagine that C320 wheels are load rated for the eurovan. . .

Mine came with non-load rated wheels and I ended up getting oe steels and powdercoating them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Mr Pulldown....

Your new best friend will be a cheap bolt from Lowe’s in silver cheese Stainless steel , 15-20 cm in length, matching your lug bolt threads of M14 x 1.5

Off with its head....

Now put a piece of heat shrink over one end

Presto! A wheel hanger to put your wheel on while you start the bolts

Now mark it up 500%, put bendy chick #vanlife video on the ad, and let the dollars flow in

You know I thought about that. I swapped wheels for a friends Audi, and it had a hanger with the wheel tool kit. At first I wondered what it was then on my 3rd wheel I figured it out.

Any wisdom on ball seats?

I think that I am going to forgo a stud conversion at least for now. The 2 wheels have different thickens (steel vs alloy) and as a result need bolts of different lengths. If I went studs that fit the alloys they would stick out pretty far for the steelies, and I would have to use open ended lug nuts. The cover could then have trouble clipping onto the lug.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Chris at T3technique.com can/will answer all your questions in fasteners
PM him directly if you don't find a satisfactory answer here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

dazey77 wrote:

Mine came with non-load rated wheels and I ended up getting oe steels and powdercoating them.

Those MB OEM wheels are forged and very strong. I am not very concerned about them failing. The EVC steelies have 900kg rating which is not very high. Also the 5997lb GCWR is not outrageous. Though I suspect I do over load it.

Spent a lot of time on this thread educating myself. Here is a post form Chris at T3tech discussing load rating.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3378736&highlight=failure#3378736
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

RE original question regarding M14 with 19mm head ball seat bolts... https://otisincla.com/shop/
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

wannabecamper wrote:
RE original question regarding M14 with 19mm head ball seat bolts... https://otisincla.com/shop/

Thanks. That halfway answers my question. 19 hex heads only come in R14 ball seat.

However this doesn't fully answer my question on what is a small ball seat. For a 17mm head bolt I can get R14, 13, and 12. What does MB consider a small ball? I think the answer is R12. Need to find confirmation.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Silver-Mercedes-vehicles-Description/dp/B00PJIYLX0

Looks like R12 to me.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Those MB rims aren't forged, but they are way way way stronger than anything that GW* sells. I don't recommend aftermarket aluminum rims, since they're nearly all cheap Chinese castings. Most 16" Audi rims will fit the EV, and so will the Mk5 and later VW versions in 5x112 configuration. Any of those passenger car rims will be stronger than the standard aftermarket version.

*There's a thread here in the Vanagon section about GW 16"rims cracking on the hub face out from the lug holes. Not good.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
dazey77 wrote:

Those MB OEM wheels are forged and very strong. I am not very concerned about them failing. The EVC steelies have 900kg rating which is not very high. Also the 5997lb GCWR is not outrageous. Though I suspect I do over load it.

Spent a lot of time on this thread educating myself. Here is a post form Chris at T3tech discussing load rating.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3378736&highlight=failure#3378736

Never seen a 12mm wheel bolt with the larger ball seat within the last 30+ years working on cars / EVs. However, I have seen plenty of broken wheels / rims from people thinking it would handle the load of the vehicle.

Same counts for studs conversions or using passenger tires on those vans. Just a bad idea overall.

Cheap ways out are usually not the good way. The factory requires certain ratings for a reason.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Factory Steel wheels all the way on these vans for me.
They’re heavy beasts. Even Unladen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Those MB rims aren't forged, but they are way way way stronger than anything that GW* sells. I don't recommend aftermarket aluminum rims, since they're nearly all cheap Chinese castings. Most 16" Audi rims will fit the EV, and so will the Mk5 and later VW versions in 5x112 configuration. Any of those passenger car rims will be stronger than the standard aftermarket version.

*There's a thread here in the Vanagon section about GW 16"rims cracking on the hub face out from the lug holes. Not good.

Thanks for the feedback on the cast wheels not forged. Between your and Chris's (T3) endorsement on OE Benz wheels being strong, I am still moving forward with this wheel swap. Just ordered some RAD lugbolts today. Went with the 55mm long ones after a bunch of measurements. Surprising how long the OE bolts are and the extra length needed for the alloys.

One more test fit when I have my bore ring and new bolts before I order tires. Might just put all four on and drive around for sh!ts and giggles. Will take a picture of the lowered look as the tires are 225/50r16. I bet it will be a rev/accleration monster with the little tires. Won't go far or fast as these are not the proper LOAD rated tires.

I found the thread on the cracked GW wheels. From what I understand GW uses some Mercedes knockoff wheels that are not OEM. My C320 wheels have the full face bearing surface.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Sotobashi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Newbie to the Samba - thanks in advance for the great advice/intel. Scoured the various threads including EV Wheel, might have overlooked the answer to my question. Apologies in advance!

I have a 1995 EVC with the stock 15" wheels. The tires are done, and I'd like to move up to a 16". I've looked through many posts and haven't been able to get a definitive answer about using wheels from a newer EV on an older EV.

From what I have read, older EV wheels won't work on newer EVs because of the larger brakes, but can someone confirm the opposite is OK before I buy a set? I have a line on four of these:

Thanks!
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Sotobashi wrote:
Newbie to the Samba - thanks in advance for the great advice/intel. Scoured the various threads including EV Wheel, might have overlooked the answer to my question. Apologies in advance!

I have a 1995 EVC with the stock 15" wheels. The tires are done, and I'd like to move up to a 16". I've looked through many posts and haven't been able to get a definitive answer about using wheels from a newer EV on an older EV.

From what I have read, older EV wheels won't work on newer EVs because of the larger brakes, but can someone confirm the opposite is OK before I buy a set? I have a line on four of these:

Thanks!

I think they would fit fine. There could be a difference in width and offset between the two but should fit.

The one thing that this thread brings up is the strength of the camper wheels. Suggesting that the steel wheels are stronger and needed to safely carry the additional weight of the camper. Again I don't think it is something to be concerned about.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Drilled, ringed, and bolted. Ready for final test fit then new tires next week.

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Please remember if you put a larger spare in its proper space underneath the back it will hit the tailpipe and might catch fire..Mine started to smolder and I was able to get it out..The original size on mine (93 mv) is I think 195/15 , well to clear out my cooking area I took the spare w 205/15 an PLd....., Well it lasted a while but it started to smolder late one nite..soooo please remember that..Bill in PR
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

Please remember if you put a larger spare in its proper space underneath the back it will hit the tailpipe and might catch fire..Mine started to smolder and I was able to get it out..The original size on mine (93 mv) is I think 195/70/15 , well to clear out my cooking area I took the spare w 205/15 and put it in place below..., Well it lasted a while but it started to smolder late one nite..soooo please remember that..Bill in PR Also it's definitely a step backwards having w bolts insteAd of studs like on the Bays,. We converted a number of them bugs back in the day w no I'll effects but these beasts are heavy...The golfs have a centering handle on the screwdriver that works slick but give me w studs any day.If I keep this thing I probably will change it....Good luck... I'm off to a VW van gettogether in w Puerto Rico...Bill
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Please remember if you put a larger spare in its proper space underneath the back it will hit the tailpipe and might catch fire..Mine started to smolder and I was able to get it out..The original size on mine (93 mv) is I think 195/15 , well to clear out my cooking area I took the spare w 205/15 an PLd....., Well it lasted a while but it started to smolder late one nite..soooo please remember that..Bill in PR

My van came with 225/60r16. So that is the size of the spare that is already in there.

I did not get to finish this before I took it on our most recent 2100 mile trip to the desert. I cooked off many 32's of rubber on this trip.

The last issue I ran into was the hub centric rings. Should be 66.6 to 57.1, but the plastic blue ones in the picture had to be hammered into the wheel and as a result was not longer 57.1mm on the ID. They got crushed on the hub when trying to install.

Thinking that the cheap plastic rings were out of spec, I bought a set of aluminum ones. This time I set the ring on the hub and pulled the wheel onto them. Fit GREAT, but upon removal the wheel was stuck and required me to hammer them off. All indication and rough measurements (bore is too deep to measure with a standard caliper) suggest that these are 66.6 bore wheels. But I am beginning to think that they could be 66.1s. Considering sanding them down a tad.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan getting some new wheels Reply with quote

In the future, just stick with VAG 5x112 rims for the T4. MB rims are the preferred option for the T3. The Audi rims for our Winter tires fit effortlessly with no mods whatsoever.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: