Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Did you replace the input shaft seal as well?

The reason I ask is I would have oil in the bell housing, but nothing on the clutch or pressure plate. Pulled the input shaft seal and found the shaft was badly corroded. I replaced it with a shaft from Weddle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Did you replace the input shaft seal as well?

The reason I ask is I would have oil in the bell housing, but nothing on the clutch or pressure plate. Pulled the input shaft seal and found the shaft was badly corroded. I replaced it with a shaft from Weddle.

I replaced that seal when I worked on the transmission a few years back. The oil in the bell housing was engine oil, not gear oil, so it’s not coming from there. Also the pressure plate was dry of oil, just had that reddish dust all over it from (I assume) the throw out bearing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I noticed a difference in pressure plates when I went from the 3 arm version to the diaphragm version. The latter is much smoother and I have less chatter if I screw up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Just a couple shots from our annual Euro car show, nice that it was back this year after being curtailed last year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a little late summer run the other day.

Transmission is still acting up, lots of grinding noise and still terrible shifting. I think it’s the bearing in the main shaft failing now. I have another transmission from a 69 Ghia that I’ll be trying this fall… third time’s a charm right?

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

nobody in the east to sent the trans to for a rebuild?

I had mine done by a guy in Vancouver a few years ago.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

About time for another update, it’s been a while… Transmission was still the ongoing issue, with a loud roaring main bearing and terrible shifting, so in January I pulled it in the garage and decided to install another one. Third time’s a charm right?

This unit came out of a ‘68 Ghia, and was known to be in decent shape before it was removed in favour of a freeway flyer. Cleaned it up, adjusted the shims on the swing axles to get them moving freely, as they were so tight I couldn’t get them to move by hand. Also put in new large O ring seals, which I surprisingly had a hard time finding from the usual VW parts sources. I ended up buying a pack of 25 from Fastenal for $20 or so. I also replaced the axle boots – this time with the split ones.

I also had to replace the starter bushing, as this is a 12V trans going in a 6V car. Very thin bushing this, so I had to be careful tapping it in.

With that I put the car up on my handy dandy QuickJacks, hauled out the engine and transmission. The 500 pound lift cart I bought a while ago made the job a lot easier.

Interestingly enough the boot area on the transmission that I installed a few years back always seemed to dripping gear oil, I thought the leak was from the side plate, but discovered that both solid boots I had installed were cracked on the bottom. They were supposed to be the good German ones too.

In with the “new”.

Had some issues with the bearings. Went down the whole 68-only long axle rabbit hole - basically if you have a 68 transmission, you need 68 bearing caps, as the recess for the bearing in the axle tube is deeper (13mm vs 10mm) than prior swing axles and the therefore the bearing cap is more shallow. Found this awesome pictorial on here showing the difference- what a great thing the Samba is!

I did have them installed, but there seemed to be a gap so I decided to pull the bearing and measure the depth of the recess in the tube. I made a bearing puller using IRS Allen head bolts and a three inch washer. Worked a treat.

In the end, it was simply that I hadn’t seated the bearing all the way. Interesting that the Type 3 transmission used long axles before anything else, so the old transmission axles and tubes (out of a 63 Squareback) were actually the same length as the 68. That sorted, I buttoned it all up and installed the engine.

As for the hard shifting - I know that I had the T-1 hockey stick in the old tranny, not the proper T-3 with the single indent, even though it was from a ‘63 Type 3. Dad had used it in his Ghia, so I assume he changed the hockey stick. Looking at it, it was actually bent on the end, so I’m sure none of that helped.

The new trans also has a Type 1 hockey stick (being from a 68 Ghia), so I drilled an offset hole in the backside of the coupler to bring it around in the right spot. Problem is my shift rod has also been welded and I think was modified to mate to the backside hole on the Type 1 stick. Another large issue I also discovered was that with just a little force the whole collar with the lock bolt in it on the coupler actually turns. I replaced the coupler with another one and lined up the gear shifter socket in the car visually so that there is equal movement left and right, then tightened and wired the lock bolt. We’ll see if that sorts it.

So now, it’s just a matter of waiting for the weather to come around, and the snow/ice and salt to disappear so I can get her back out of the garage.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Awesome work Mr Norman

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:

I also had to replace the starter bushing, as this is a 12V trans going in a 6V car. Very thin bushing this, so I had to be careful tapping it in.

With that I put the car up on my handy dandy QuickJacks, hauled out the engine and transmission. The 500 pound lift cart I bought a while ago made the job a lot easier.

an ones too.

Just watch what the material you use for that conversion bushing for the starter. I only say that as my son picked one up for his car, and the bushing wore out in 1 year. I took it to a friend on mine and we opened it up and lightly pressed (w/green loctite) in a 12 volt bronze bushing into the brass one. It's been years now since that was done. Just a heads up on that bushing.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: