Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU get pulled over for?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Back in the eighties I was sitting at a light one winter evening in my '56. A cop pulls up behind me, then turns on his lights. He walks to my door and tells me I have no brake lights. I was surprised, I told him I had just cleaned all my connections and knew they worked. He proceeded to the back of the car where he found out how much dimmer they could get when I took my foot off the brake.
Ah, that 6-volt lighting was really something especially at idle with a southwind heater going.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

About 8 years ago I was driving my 63 Herbie replica to work one morning on a long flat straightaway and hit 75 mph in a 50 zone. A sheriff's patrol car was sitting back in a little spot and I saw him from the corner of my eye as I went by. I kept on booking it over the next hill and pulled into work. Before I get out of my car he pulls in behind me blocking me in.

I get out as he does and he says, "What in the hell do you have in that thing?" I popped the lid and said, "a little old sewing machine engine." He's walking around the car looking at the interior commenting on how nice it is. Then he said, "You know how fast you were going?" I replied, "Too fast I'm sure." He said,"75 in a 50. That's serious stuff. Do you know Norma Axxxxx?" I said, "Yes, she works for me." He said, "She's my wife. I remember her saying her boss has a Herbie The Love Bug. I called her on my way and told her I just clocked you25 mph over the speed limit in Herbie and she begged me not to give you a ticket. Try to keep in under 60 on that road, would ya?"

And he shook my hand and said "nice car...didn't know they could go that fast." And drove off.
1sqr2nv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Early 90's when I was in High School, got pulled over in my 64 Notch. Sheriff said car was too low, too loud and too ugly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

1sqr2nv wrote:
Early 90's when I was in High School, got pulled over in my 64 Notch. Sheriff said car was too low, too loud and too ugly!

Damn, you just described me. He'd give me a ticket for just walking down the street.
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Was the early 70's and my first 2 w's were 36hp. Really slow! When the last one died i was able to pick up a 56 oval with a 1300 in it! 50 horses man!! I was close to being late for work one nite (midnite shift) and was about 10 miles away. Was waiting to pull out into a major highway when an older stationwagon is approaching going kinda slow for the posted speed limit. The car was just in that zone where I coulda pulled out in front of him but for some reason I hesitated and let him go by. Pulling out behind him I just couldn't take the 45 mph speed he was doing. So I threw that Ole 56 into 3rd and pulled out to pass him. Being pissed off I honked my horn as I went blazing by! Holy cow, all of a sudden I'm doing what seemed like 60 so I throw her into 4th and kept the roller peddle floored. This 1300 really has some balls, especially compared to the 36Er's I was used to! Now I'm doing 80, but also have these red flashing lites behind me. Damn, just my luck I had to pass an unmarked state trooper car! He issues me a ticket and as he's walking away stops and says "I didn't think that piece of junk could go that fast and I probably would have let you go, but YOU pissed Me off when you honked your horn at me!!!! BTW, I made it to work on time!
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I don't know which story to start with,,,,but here we go,,,it was a Friday and I decided to skip work and replace the clutch in my cal-look bug with a 2007 cc and gene berg 5 speed and because it was Friday night street racing,,,,I replace the clutch and tuned the engine and adjust my 48 Webers,,,I decided to take the car for a little test run to break in the new clutch,,,I spin 1st gear,chirp 2nd gear and go though all 4 gears,,,,at the end of 4th gear motorcycle cop sitting there with a radar gun,,,,I pull over and the first thing the cop says " boy I heard you coming down the street and the car sounds real good",,,,I said thank you and asked what the radar gun said,,,,he told me I won't tell you because I will have to take you to jail and inpound your car,,,,he was a car nut,,,,gave me a ticket and let me go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

most recent was when I was driving the 71 bug ... sped up to be able to maintain 55 by the top of a grade , lights come on just before I start up and I pull over..
I can hear the cop laughing as he walks up to the bug... "sir (laugh), do you know why I pulled you over?" I shake my head "no officer" , "I have never seen a bug go that fast, you were doing 85 by the bottom of that hill" still laughing.. and I just kind smiled... "Officer I still had more pedal to go...." he laughs again, "well nock it off, get out of here"

between Reno and carson city I drove every night... come down the hill into pleasant valley around 12:30 in the morning the NHP would light me up for a tail light out... it really became a joke... "Sir do you know you have a light out" I would nod my head and say its intermittent. then ask if I could get out of the car... I'd slap the fender and light would come on and he would let me go. it got to the point where the trooper would just say , Hi Mr. Cleveland" slap the fender for me and say "have a good night!" I think they just thought it was funny. especially since it was on a fastback ...

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
deaaaanno.vw1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

got pulled over for having a "dirty" car. since here in the philippines, old-aged cars usually are not registered and are the favorite cars to be pulled over by the authorities. but mine was legal and have complete papers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buglover34465
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

My car is right-hand drive and still was the original 6 V's back then including the bulbs. 1951 RHD split-window tan canvas sunroof. My girlfriend at the time lived just north of Seattle. I was in the Navy in Bremerton Washington. Its 1AM-1:30AM and I'm driving her back to her apt. We are the only car on the highway Seatac loves to pull older run-down cars over for tickets. Already had my share of them. They also love to pull over cars on the highway at that time (DUI's provide more money than the fix-it up tickets they live on over there). So with that information background in mind: I'm a rolling target even thoe the top speed of my car at the time was 60 MPH and thus I stayed in the right side slow lane while driving on the highway. (tired old 36hp engine). Shure enough at the second Seatack exit comes the light and siren from the middle median. I pull over, turn the car off, and open my door. (window regulator was not functional and was c-clamped into position.) The cop hits us with his flashlight and demands my girlfriends drivers licence and registration. I calmly ask why did you pull me over? He said I pulled her over cause the brake lights are too dim. I replied they work fine I tested them just before we left. This pattern went on for a while. I calmly explained that I was running 6 V incandecessant bulbs not halogens fed from a 100A 12V system. (My car at that time is a run down almost bone stock 1951.) Finally I asked him to shine his flashlight on my hands which were in front of me holding something. He did and I asked him: Do you see the steering wheel? it's in my hands, thus I am the driver, so once again why do you need to see her driver's license and registration when it is my car and I am the one driving? I do not drink, my car does not go over 60, and all my lights work. He then had me look at my lights with him. My girlfriend pumped the brakes so we could see the brake lights light up. After that he said that I could go.
Funny thing after that for the next 3 weeks I got pulled over every time I drove by cops just so they could check out my car.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

There's really not that many, because I'm usually not in a hurry to get anywhere.

However, back in the early '80s I decided to build a shortened VW van. A double-door panel worked perfect, because it was already pre-cut. (Yes, I was young and dumb. Now I'm just not young. Laughing )

Anyway, after putting it on the road, I was immediately pulled over by a cop who said it wasn't legal to drive on the street. He was adament that it was an illegal vehicle, and he was going to call a tow truck. I showed him that all my paperwork was in order, and he couldn't find anything in the law specifying a minimum wheelbase, or that altering a wheelbase was illegal, so he couldn't write me up. Boy did that spoil his day.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I dont think I have ever been pulled over when driving a VW, but i had a 72 tricked out Datsun 510 that had some funky three piece seat belts. You could used them as a lap type belt or hookup the other strap and you would have a shoulder type seat belt. Police offecer pulls me over and says way arent you wearing your seat belt, and sees that I have the lap part of the belt on but not the other, we bickered back nd forth with each other...he won I got a ticket.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Ha!! I just posted this in another thread, but will share it here. I was pulled over once in my '67 splitty (1998) on I-90, west of Syracuse, by a state trooper late at night at the tail end of a long and arduous journey from Athens, GA. I had a bunk distributor clamp and my timing was all wonky. The trooper said he pulled me over because I have flames shooting out of my tailpipe! He gave me a ticket for something like faulty equipment! Geesh!
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

thats just dumb. i feel for you man
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Ha!! I just posted this in another thread, but will share it here. I was pulled over once in my '67 splitty (1998) on I-90, west of Syracuse, by a state trooper late at night at the tail end of a long and arduous journey from Athens, GA. I had a bunk distributor clamp and my timing was all wonky. The trooper said he pulled me over because I have flames shooting out of my tailpipe! He gave me a ticket for something like faulty equipment! Geesh!

On his defense, I hope you had not complained (like everyone else) had he pulled you over to alert you your beautiful splitty was on fire and you did not know it. You knew about the faulty timing, he didn't. But that's just how we ALL are.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

buglover34465 wrote:
My car is right-hand drive and still was the original 6 V's back then including the bulbs. 1951 RHD split-window tan canvas sunroof. My girlfriend at the time lived just north of Seattle. I was in the Navy in Bremerton Washington. Its 1AM-1:30AM and I'm driving her back to her apt. We are the only car on the highway Seatac loves to pull older run-down cars over for tickets. Already had my share of them. They also love to pull over cars on the highway at that time (DUI's provide more money than the fix-it up tickets they live on over there)

1st. If you were in the Navy, where's your respect foe the uniform and law?
2. Believe me, local PD's don't make money from DUI's, it is not a business.
3.They don't like to pull over people, that's their job!

I have family that are in law enforcement and tons of friends who are CHP and Deputies. Been on many many ride alongs.

Don't worry, I've been pulled over many times while driving at 2:00 am on my way to Pomona swap meet. I thank them for keeping my community safe and for double checking my cars are not being stolen. I have NOTHING to hide, so don't mind getting pulled over, EVER!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Stuart Maingot wrote:
Got pulled over for a 1835cc at full throttle in third gear with a stinger exhaust. Seems the noise was not the problem but the protrusion of the stinger exhaust got me a ticket. Had to unbolt it and drive home without it.

Here in California, anything other than stock is considered " a modified exhaust " and can get you cited. It all depends on the officer.

I grew up in Palmdale/Lancaster area. we were having a car meet at the Wienerscnitzel in lancaster off of ... i think K?. anyway were all sitting there bullsh*ting and in drives a CHP. he came up to each car and was writing tickets (circa 2003) he got to my Fastback , and starter measuring the bumpers, and had me tick-over the engine to listen to the exhaust ... he was really annoyed that even though my car was lowered and my exhaust was modified that i was still within the law at that time... he just huffed and moved on to the next car... which got nailed for a couple of infractions. from what i remember all those tickets were dismissed because the trooper never showed up to the courthouse.
Now I have always had a healthy respect for Cops/CHP/NHP but when they do this kind of crap I call BS cause thats a dick move

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Last year I was leaving a state park and the road was a nice down hill with a left hand bend 3/4 of the way down. At the bend there was a state trooper on the side and as I got to the actual exit I herd him blip the horn so i pulled over to let him by.. .but he also pulled over.

He said he was doing paperwork when his radar went off. The speed limit was 25mph and it went off at 31mph. When he looked up I was the only one in sight. I told him it must of been me, so I checked my bike computer and told him i was actually doing 34mph.

I was on my bicycle, so he reminded me that I needed to also obey the speed limits and let me go.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

first was a cop having a bad day....off duty...pissed off and decided to take it out on somebody else... he is dead now, shot due to being effing stupid.and probably having another bad day. the 2nd was another stupid police man... who said I didnt come to a full stop at the stop sign....well hers your sign. he said I rolled through it...I didnt.I stopped at the line. noy 10~ 15 feet past where the line should be and the guy in front of me stopped like most do. you can not fix stupid. he then asked if my 8 year old daughter would get out of the car so I could run over her foot Shocked .yup.I told him he could put his foot in front or behind the wheel and I would park in it if he wished me to.I thin tole him what a moron he was.and asked him to show me where I should stop....he said without looking at where the line was at the line of coarse... I told him to look at where the line was...he did and said you can go. like I said you cant fix stupid. they sit about 400 feet away watching that inter section almost every day...lots of fraudlent income from that line placement...well reallly from the crokkeedd stupid cops and people that are clueles. this town has a nation wide reputation for being a police trap. yup they even hide in the bushes. and was featured on 2020 or 60 min or one of those tv shows. it's not quite as bad in the past 5 years or so. but you still better be paying attn to the speed limit and stop signes&lights. 40 mph limit is not 42 mph.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Back in 1991 a buddy and I were driving through New York State returning from a Windsurfing competition up in Nova Scotia when we were pulled over by a State Trooper in my 73 VW Panel Van (stock 1700cc with dual carbs). I heard the Trooper laughing as he walked up to the driver's window. "I've seen these things driving down the highway barely doing 45 mph, some with clouds of smoke pouring out, but I have never seen one doing 80 mph". "What do you guys have in this thing, a Porsche motor"? "Why are you in such a hurry"? He had us with his radar gun but couldn't believe it so he drove up behind and followed for a few miles to make sure the radar gun wasn't broken. I didn't notice him until I saw his flashing lights and heard the siren. I guess we made his day as he let us off on what was sure to be a 100+ dollar speeding ticket as NY was max 55mph at the time. After that we kept it around 70 mph until we crossed the border in Buffalo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Last year I was leaving a state park and the road was a nice down hill with a left hand bend 3/4 of the way down. At the bend there was a state trooper on the side and as I got to the actual exit I herd him blip the horn so i pulled over to let him by.. .but he also pulled over.

He said he was doing paperwork when his radar went off. The speed limit was 25mph and it went off at 31mph. When he looked up I was the only one in sight. I told him it must of been me, so I checked my bike computer and told him i was actually doing 34mph.

I was on my bicycle, so he reminded me that I needed to also obey the speed limits and let me go.

See how easy it is? it's called enforcing the Spirit of the law.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: