Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Search for "polarize generator" and consider doing that to your new gen. I've never had to, but some have needed it.

Thanks for making that remark! Just in case, I Will now make sure to do that before installing it permanently. After all, better safe than sorry Laughing

67 Bug Puerto Rico spec Deluxe sedan Fontana Grey (Acquired from original owner’s family)
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

Just in case the guy from the generator rebuild calls it quits at the last minute, does anyone know of a service where I can mail the generator in for a rebuild? I have searched high and low and no place offers a rebuild service, only exchanges for screw terminal generators. I have also searched how to replace the brushes and polarize the generator, and they seem like pretty complex tasks for my experience level, and it would be a shame for me to damage a rare generator. Embarassed

67 Bug Puerto Rico spec Deluxe sedan Fontana Grey (Acquired from original owner’s family)
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

8bit Innovations wrote:
My 67 bug... since seeing my 67 bug the mechanic wanted to make sure we keep it factory correct and remarked that the generator we have is not the correct one, although I still wanted the car to have the correct push terminal generator.

Can you elaborate more of how your generator has push on terminals and yet is not the 1-year only '67 generator?? My understanding is that only the '67 generator had push on terminals like below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To confirm, look for the 3-digit code for the year + month (YMM) of manufacture. The below generator was made in Dec (12) of 1967.

Good to hear you are trying to rebuild your generator if you want to keep it as original as possible.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
8bit Innovations wrote:
My 67 bug... since seeing my 67 bug the mechanic wanted to make sure we keep it factory correct and remarked that the generator we have is not the correct one, although I still wanted the car to have the correct push terminal generator.

Can you elaborate more of how your generator has push on terminals and yet is not the 1-year only '67 generator?? My understanding is that only the '67 generator had push on terminals like below:

To confirm, look for the 3-digit code for the year + month (YMM) of manufacture. The below generator was made in Dec (12) of 1967.

Good to hear you are trying to rebuild your generator if you want to keep it as original as possible.

Now I see my mistake. English is not my first language, so sorry for lack of consistency. Confused What I intended to say was that the generator that I have is not the factory correct one, since it has screw terminals; and that I didn’t mind that the mechanic wanted to change it even if it was working, since I also wanted to replace the generator with a factory correct unit. However, since the installed generator is apparently starting to fail, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and install the correct one anyway, that is if I can get it rebuilt.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

FYI, the '68 Bug also used that generator.

'69 went back to screw terminals:
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

Ashman, KTPhil beat me to it, but the push-on generators were not exclusive to only the 1967 model year. Some were used also on the '68's, as well as a 6v version used in some '66 applications. The numbers dating the generator you pictured in your post = Dec. 1967 = would mean it was from the 1968 model year production (August 1967 -July 1968)

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

Here’s what I wrote in a discussion on generator covers in this thread the other day

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749458&start=20

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: Why have a generator cover

viiking wrote:

My ‘68 Euro spec came fitted with what is often erroneously called the “67 year only” generator with push on generator terminals. It has been in the family since new and does not have the covers fitted.

Navy general wrote.

Much has been expended on that subject: For 1967 The Beetle Generator part number is/was 211 903 031 (from VW Parts Book) applicable from Engine Number H 0 204 001 (August 1966) to/through July 1967 Model Year 1967 for Special Options Code 610 (12 Volts) USA/Canada and wherever else 12 Volts may have been used. Beginning in August 1967 for Model Year 1968 the Generator Part Number was 211 903 031 A-a change in the Generator was made!

Prior to 1967 Workshop Bulletin E - 72 August 1965 states that All generators and Regulators are now of the Push-on Type from 2 August 1965 (October 1965 for Type 2). Workshop Bulletin E of 27 March 1968 states that the D+ and DF terminals of Generator and Regulator have been changed from Push-on to Screw type. Additionally that bulletin states that if Generators or Regulators of the Push-on Type are used to Replace the screw on type-additional connecting parts are necessary and lists the needed parts! So, one way the Push-on type could be used outside its birth Year or Engine number sequence!

viiking wrote

Well here’s my Jan ‘68, H0928xxx 211903031 with push on terminals. Been in the family since new.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

Thanks all for the correction.

It sounds like VW went from screw on terminals for 6v generators to push on in the '66 model year. In '67, this feature carried on into the first generation of 12v generators. It was changed back to screw on for the '68 model year, but as is typical for VW... they used up their existing stock of push on terminal 12v generators for the early '68 model Beetles before switching back to screw on terminals.

At least that is what I get from the above details. Strange that VW would change and then change back?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

My guess is that VW found the push-on terminals loosened from vibration over time, and decided the post and nut approach was more reliable.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Thanks all for the correction.

Not trying to point score at all especially for someone as knowledgeable as you regarding all things electrical.👍🏻

I think the message is that for SOME items an August 1 changeover was not clear cut. It makes a lot of sense for a budget car manufacturer not to waste anything.

For example not only does my Jan 68 Beetle have the “67” push on terminal generator but also has the 67 and earlier arm rests. Now mine is a RHD but was a Euro model made on the same line as Euro LHD vehicles.

Perhaps they had spare bins of leftovers that they used for specific vehicles destined for non USA markets?
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

Update:

I finally received a solid state regulator from jbugs and installed it. The rattle is gone already! I didn’t care at all that the regulator isn’t period correct, since this bug is more of a driver than a garage queen. Maybe I’ll install a period correct one when I eventually sell it, but that might be happening way in the future. The red light still comes on during some stops, however I hope that it will get fixed when the new generator gets installed. Thanks for the suggestions on getting a ss vr! And thanks for all the good advice and trivia on the 67 bug generator system!! I’ll still be giving an update when the generator gets installed though Wink

Last edited by 8bit Innovations on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
8bit Innovations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light while revving low (sorry, no creative title this time) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

If this is the Savannah Beige car in your gallery. I'm super jealous. It's a beautiful car indeed.

If you are living in PR. I'm jealous too. I miss the island. I worked there in 2001 for a year and really enjoyed the life style, culture, and the roadside Kiosks that offered some of the most delicious foods any person can ever eat.

Btw, I didn’t get the chance to thank you properly, so I’ll do it now. Thanks for the advice and compliments too! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: