Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Weber 40 IDF Brevettato Carb Synch Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
choirman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Dual Weber 40 IDF Brevettato Carb Synch Issue Reply with quote

I have a set of Italian Brevettato Weber 40 Carbs that I picked up and my mechanic cleaned them thoroughly in his ultrasonic cleaner and rebuilt them with a new rebuild kit. We’ve got them on a 1904 and the engine runs, but when we put a synch gauge on them and test at each velocity stack, one side is pulling at 3-5 kg/h and the other side is pulling air at 10-12 kg/h and we just can’t seem to get them to match. Another old school mechanic buddy said that I probably have a dead carb and to just order a new one. I am replacing a single working Redline Weber 40 and I’m thinking I should buy a new Redline to match the one I have and run the Redlines. Anybody know what may cause the Brevettato’s from syncing (or maybe thats’s close enough?) or have a thought about just going with ordering a new Redline?

Also - we measured the temps coming right off the header and the temps on the low side we’re just above 100 F but the strong side had temps several hundred degrees higher. We switched the carbs to the other side and the temps were the same on the reverse side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 40 IDF Brevettato Carb Synch Issue Reply with quote

First make sure the Linkage is synced by lightly holding a drinking straw on each carb butterfly and have a helper slowly press on gas peddle and feel for both carbs to open at exactly the same time, then use your gage.
choirman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 40 IDF Brevettato Carb Synch Issue Reply with quote

We had the linkage off and were testing at idle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 40 IDF Brevettato Carb Synch Issue Reply with quote

Did you set the throttle plates exactly the same?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 40 IDF Brevettato Carb Synch Issue Reply with quote

Check the manifold surfaces for flatness with straight edge or check for leaks with "sure start" sprayed near carb base at idle, listen for rpm increase for leak.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: