Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric Choke wire grounded out!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1adam12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Electric Choke wire grounded out! Reply with quote

Shocked So, any insight greatly appreciated as I am totally scratching my head!
Car was running fine...The electric choke wire connected to its' assembly, held on with the three screwed fastener on the right side of the carb vibrated off onto the alternator. The car died on the spot with of course that familiar smell of burnt insulation of the shorted wire from the coil to both the idle solenoid and electric choke.

I was close enough to home and towed it thankfully.

I refastened the the electric choke and wire, (planning to replace the burned wire, but it should work as it is not touching anything for a test) and now I have :
no ignition lights (Gen & Oil).
no headlights and no turnover.
I also have parking lights but no headlights with the switch/key on
and no fuses blown.
Radio, wipers, signals all work....
As I am turning the key back from attempting to start, I hear a clunk in the starter (solenoid).

mighty confusing.

What else could I have damaged? the coil perhaps?! ah the mystery of electrics!!
thanks!! Embarassed
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Choke wire grounded out! Reply with quote

Well, start with a wiring diagram in the Technical section of this site. Go from there. I don't think I'd expect a "fried" wire to work for any test. Good luck...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Choke wire grounded out! Reply with quote

Yous shorted out the unfused #15 ignition circuit and since the wires to the choke coil are pretty small they would have acted as a current limiting device preventing the main #15 wire and ignition switch from going into an instant melt down, instead the heat in the switch built up over several minutes deforming the plastic in the switch. A new switch should solve your problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: