Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

installing a tachometer
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

Looking to finally connect a tach into my daughters bug, I purchased the deluxe harness that already has the purple wire in it that runs from the engine bay to the dash, but I'm a little unclear as to how to go about hooking it all up, the tach has a white wire for the lights witch is pretty straight forward that I would connect that to the dash light switch 58b, the black wire is labelled ground no explanation needed, but there is 2 other wires one is green labelled signal source I do believe that gets connected to the purple tach wire that then gets connected to the + side of the ignition coil or does it go somewhere else, then there is this red wire that is labelled as 12v switched power. Am I missing something?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

The purple wire goes to the - side the and the red goes to the + side of coil.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

{[one is green labelled signal source]} That wire goes to the side of the coil the wire that goes to the distributor, that is the signal.
White lights
Red 12 v switched
Black ground or chassis.
Does the Tach have any instructions.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

Red wire "12 V switched" means that the tach only gets its own power for its internal circuits when the rest of the 12 V system in the car is active. So you want to connect that red wire to a local wire at the fusebox which only has 12 V after your ignition is switched on. You don't need to run another wire all the way back to the + side of the coil.

Also, make sure that your tach has a setting for 4 cylinders, or is specifically labeled as only for 4 cyl. Many aftermarket tachs are made for universal application on 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. The tach must have a small set of switches on the back that you set for 4 cylinders; or separate terminals.
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

gt1953 So I am correct in that the green signal wire will connect to the purple wire that will go to the engine bay and connect to the + side of the coil, And under the dash I would connect a switched 12V wire to the red wire, as for the white it will connect to 58b on my headlight switch and the black wire will go to ground.

Rome this tach does have a switch for setting it to either 4, 6, or 8 cylinders so I will make sure it is set to 4.

Thanks for the help.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

jetmech wrote:
So I am correct in that the green signal wire will connect to the purple wire that will go to the engine bay and connect to the + side of the coil?

The signal/source wire connects to the NEGATIVE terminal #1 on the coil, where the green wire from a points-style distributor goes.

The 12 volt power wire comes from a "switched" circuit that only has power when the key is in the "Run" position.

I've had a tach in my VW since 1977 with no issues.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

This diagram should help some:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The black ground wire does not need to go all the way back to the battery. You can ground the tach anywhere in the truck to a good chassis ground.

As others have pointed out above... the signal wire from the tach runs to the (-) terminal of the ignition coil. On VW coils this is labeled #1. The same terminal the distributor points wire (green or black) connects to. This is because the "signal" comes from the distributor points opening and closing.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: installing a tachometer Reply with quote

Thank You for the correction Ashman and Cusser.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: