Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manifold identification
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Manifold identification Reply with quote

Need some help identifying the intake manifold in the picture below. What I’m looking for is a 36hp intake for a 1960 36hp motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold identification Reply with quote

That looks a lot like the single port in my 67.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold identification Reply with quote

looks like a 40hp. what is the part #? 36hp is 111 129 701e .
the heat riser jacket looks longer than a 36hp. the heat riser
where it bolts to the muffler will also look different. 40 vs. 36.
40hp will not work on your 36hp. I don't know the 40hp #
here is a 36hp.
Steve

66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold identification Reply with quote

Appreciate the feed back guys. The intake pictured is for sale, along with some heater boxes, and cylinder tins. I was hoping this intake was for a 36hp, but given everything else in the photo is ‘62 and up single port stuff I thought it was a long shot. There is a stain air fan shroud in the lot that gave me a little hope.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold identification Reply with quote

Your ad photo and sgmalt's provide 2 immediate clues to differentiate a 36 hp manifold from a 40 hp one. You'll be able to differentiate them from 5' away now if you see some at a swap meet.
-the left preheat pipe on the 36 hp has a continuous radius curve to it. The left pipe of the 40 hp has a straight section, and generally appears to be a mirror image of the right pipe.
-the aluminum heat sink on the manifold's main horizontal pipe, to the left and right of the carb downpipe, is much shorter on the 36 hp than on the 40 hp. The left section of the 40 hp one goes out almost to where the preheat pipe splits off, and the right section of the 40 hp one is "3 fingers' width" compared to the "thumb" width of the 36 hp.

A 40 hp manifold has a different attachment setup at the cylinder head end than a 1300 and later single port manifold. The one in the ad has a diamond shaped flange that is cast/welded to the manifold pipe. A 1300+ manifold has an attachment flange that moves/swivels, and has an upturned edge all around it for rigidity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: