Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Smog Law (AB-220) Change!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy for the info i'll have to look him up in a week when i'm out of Facebook jail and i'm not on Instagram Crying or Very sad
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Reach out soon, he'll be out of state by the end of the month, otherwise you'll get the tail end of his 'tour'

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Wouldn't a 1983 cut-off be better?

The OP is making it seem like that is bad thing, but it actually makes it better for cars from the late 70s?

I used to be you car was exempt if was 1975 or earlier, they are proposing it to now be 83 or earlier???

Right???

Eh? Think

So to the OP, your '79 would no longer be required to pass smog....

You've been required to pass smog for the last 15 years, and just getting around to it now? Laughing
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

yeah- i think i had a typo in my OP- i am most definitely hope the law changes and it becomes a rolling 30 years as before and that would put the cut off at '83. I am currently sitting on a '79 hoping to restore it but not if this law doesn't change, its just too much of a headache (and a rachet!$) to keep a 40+ year car to pass CA smog- (they tell me i just barely didn't pass!) what with the rare smog parts, expensive repairs and these tests are over $100 bucks! I would love to keep this car but they sure make it tough to do!!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Not going to happen. Too many unsmogged daily drivers and CA goes back to orange air.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

It's unfortunate they do a stock check. In WA if you passed the tail pipe test the hood wasn't opened. An inductive pickup measured rpm from a little foam block sitting on your hood for pre ODB-II cars. We also quit smogging at all after the car was 25 years old. Cars older than that represent only a tiny fraction of the vehicles on the road and miles driven in the state.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

The OP is making it seem like that is bad thing, but it actually makes it better for cars from the late 70s?

I used to be you car was exempt if was 1975 or earlier, they are proposing it to now be 83 or earlier???

Right???

Eh? Think

You've been required to pass smog for the last 15 years, and just getting around to it now? Laughing

OK I have a '78 Convertible, it's stock, Ca. fuel injected, not 49 State Fuel injected car.
Ca. fuel injected has mechanical actuated EGR, and runs a Cat.
49 State fuel injection EGR runs off a bisket, and there is no Cat.
Never failed SMOG, but stopped SMOGing the car when the State said I had to take the car to "A SMOG Check Only" station.
Prior to that I took it to the VW Dealer for SMOG check,
Now I just drive it unregistered, may be this Summer I'll get it SMOG Checked & Registered.
The Police in Santa Maria might actually notice an unregistered car.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:

Right???

Eh? Think

OK I have a '78 Convertible, it's stock, Ca. fuel injected, not 49 State Fuel injected car.
Never failed SMOG, but stopped SMOGing the car when the State said I had to take the car to "A SMOG Check Only" station.
Now I just drive it unregistered, may be this Summer I'll get it SMOG Checked & Registered.

Driving it unregistered because you don't want to pay to for the smog check!
They will notice it if you drive it much.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

That's been quite a few years. Owing to abuse, the state split test and repair stations, and a shop can't do both. Then they modified this and designated some as "STAR" stations that can again do both. Confusing, eh?!

Or was it a "referee station" you were directed to? There are a couple of ways this can happen... a prior failed test, an unusual car model (like ours), or a car type that has been designated a "gross polluter."

Nothing is simple anymore here.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

I'm glad Florida stopped testing in 2000. My '74 F100 had a '90s 5.0 HO with other mods. It always failed unless I brought it to a shop that would retard the timing and adjust the in cab manual ECU to pass. I would limp the truck over to the test site and would then pass, return to shop and they would bring the truck back to life. I did see a couple of crafty suggestions in the above replies that might get you through. Wait.....I didn't say anything.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Ya it's alright for us to cheat the system but let VW do it and they are a bunch of criminals and get hung out to dry on forums like this. Is that not a double standard?

Just sayin'... Rolling Eyes
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Gotta work the system man, I didn't narc on VW.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Not going to happen. Too many unsmogged daily drivers and CA goes back to orange air.

How many pre '83 cars do you think are being used as daily drivers in CA? I live here, and see very very few people driving anything old. Unless it's a classic car, and it's a weekend warrior.

Moving the cutoff from '75 to '83 would probably have very little effect on anything.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ya it's alright for us to cheat the system but let VW do it and they are a bunch of criminals and get hung out to dry on forums like this. Is that not a double standard?

There is a bit of difference in scale between owners modifying their own cars one at a time and a manufacturer making millions of non-compliant cars. According to the BLS less than 10% of the cars on the road are more than 20 years old. Many other sources claim the number more than 25 years old is about 1% (without providing a source for their claim.) I suspect most older cars don't see the annual mileage of newer ones either. I think backing off after a car is 30+ years old is very reasonable allowance for hobbyists.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
oprn wrote:

There is a bit of difference in scale between owners modifying their own cars one at a time and a manufacturer making millions of non-compliant cars. According to the BLS less than 10% of the cars on the road are more than 20 years old. Many other sources claim the number more than 25 years old is about 1% (without providing a source for their claim.) I suspect most older cars don't see the annual mileage of newer ones either. I think backing off after a car is 30+ years old is very reasonable allowance for hobbyists.

Funny how these double standards work...

If I bump someone off then it's murder but if my government sends me to war it's not.

Standards of convenience maybe? I for one will drive my TDI until there is nothing left of it to drive. Every polluting 60 mpg of it's life while tens of thousands of pickups, reclassified out of the passenger car realm (that was convenient eh?) continued to spew exhaust fumes at 12 mpg.

Governments and their hypocritical double standards of convenience!!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

I've been driving my '57 Bug. I bet that desmogged L-Jetronic fuel injected '79 Super Beetle 'vert I sold to buy it was cleaner. But one was technically a federal violation. The other causes more thumbs up reactions when out and about. Make people smile, it's good for you too!

We need some standards, but I think a window for car enthusiasts is reasonable. Plus, WA doesn't have any law against modifying smog equipment on a car more than 25 years old. (I feel a bit sorry for CA auto enthusiasts in this regard.) Screw the feds -- every state with any form of legal pot already has!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

I agree that some sort of standard could be very helpful but base it on sound science, on TOTAL emissions, in lbs/hour of all gasses emitted. Just picking one or two obscure compounds and measuring them in parts/million tells you next to nothing about what is actually going into our air. It's incomplete science. We need to track ALL of the emissions by TOTAL VOLUME to get a real picture.

Oh wait! That would put the great American gas guzzling boat anchors at a disadvantage... can't do that! Enter right stage - NOX testing, cat converters and air pumps which all increased fuel consumption and therefore total emissions. Baffle the public with BS, then make them pay for it!

Sorry it's been a long winter - I plead cabin fever!

I guess what I am trying to get at in a long convoluted way is that your '57 Beetle, EVFun likely puts out far less TOTAL emissions than the average modern SUV or pickup truck.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Even with the popularity of pickups, they’re still pretty clean. Never did like the smell of stank-ass diesels.
https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
ach60 wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:

Right???

Eh? Think

Driving it unregistered because you don't want to pay to for the smog check!
They will notice it if you drive it much.

Had nothing to do with Paying for the SMOG check,
didn't like the State telling me I had to send it to some goon who had never seen a Air Cooled VW, and didn't want to deal with one.
I had a co-worker who daily drove a 90's Passat TDI in San Jose/Sunnyvale, Ca. with expired New Jersey plates for OVER 10 YEARS.
I have no idea why he never got pulled over, he had swapped the front plate for the rear,
so you know If he had been pulled over, he couldn't just say they sticker was stolen, or he just moved here.
So it seemed pointless to me to worry about a car that I put less than 200 miles a year on.
Being Santa Maria is much smaller community I'm pretty sure current registration is required,
because the police actually have time to worry about such things.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: California Smog Law (AB-220) Change! Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Even with the popularity of pickups, they’re still pretty clean. Never did like the smell of stank-ass diesels.
https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report

Thanks! That is exactly what I was saying.

"The distinction between car and truck SUVs is based on regulatory definitions where SUVs that are 4WD or above a weight threshold (6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight) are generally regulated as trucks and classified at truck SUVs for this report."

There is your double standard that keeps the USA auto companies in business.

"The trend away from sedans/wagons, which remain the vehicle type with the highest fuel economy and lowest CO2 emissions, and towards vehicle types with lower fuel economy and higher CO2 emissions has offset some of the fleetwide benefits that otherwise would have been achieved from the improvements within each vehicle type."

Bigger is not better for emissions!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: