Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Do YOU Look For When Buying A Bus? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WendyArmbuster wrote:
A very important thing to look for in a first bus is it being complete and assembled, even if it's in bad shape. Trying to figure out how the fuel injection goes together is a lot easier if it is all together when you take it apart, as opposed to being in a cardboard box. Trying to find a D bolt to hold the starter to the engine and transmission is a bigger hassle than just using the D bolt that came with it, because the PO has the engine in a box and lost that bolt.

Personally I have found that doing acceptable rust removal and panel replacement (looking OK, and stopping future rust, but not show quality) is easier than doing really top quality engine work, and funner too, but I don't think that's a common opinion.

In the end, take your time and don't be desperate. There are still a lot of people with busses who don't know what top dollar is yet. I bought a 72 for $400 a few years back that was running on 3 cylinders and it was rust and dent free. Dude just wanted rid of it.

How did you find the guy? I can't seem to find a deal nearly as close as that let alone any busses near me.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason0115 wrote:
WendyArmbuster wrote:
A very important thing to look for in a first bus is it being complete and assembled, even if it's in bad shape. Trying to figure out how the fuel injection goes together is a lot easier if it is all together when you take it apart, as opposed to being in a cardboard box. Trying to find a D bolt to hold the starter to the engine and transmission is a bigger hassle than just using the D bolt that came with it, because the PO has the engine in a box and lost that bolt.

Personally I have found that doing acceptable rust removal and panel replacement (looking OK, and stopping future rust, but not show quality) is easier than doing really top quality engine work, and funner too, but I don't think that's a common opinion.

In the end, take your time and don't be desperate. There are still a lot of people with busses who don't know what top dollar is yet. I bought a 72 for $400 a few years back that was running on 3 cylinders and it was rust and dent free. Dude just wanted rid of it.

How did you find the guy? I can't seem to find a deal nearly as close as that let alone any busses near me.

first you have to travel back to 2012. that may simplify things. cheaper back then. Then the "40 window bus on Berret Jackson!" let every tom dick and harry think their field bus was worth north of 20K
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: What Do YOU Look For When Buying A Bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Best advise I ever got on my Westy purchase. Local Professional foreign car shop owner when I told him I was looking for a late Westy. If you find a dual carb model, don’t walk away, run away! Find a fuel injected model, Once sorted it will run forever. Found a 78 FI Canadian Westy 16 years ago, probably added 50 K miles, yes had some mechanical issue but theFI system has been bulitproof.
Put a WTB add on The Samba and other web sites explaining exactly what I was looking for. Got two really good hits, one in OK and one in Canada just north of Seattle. After much discussion with the owner and her mechanic wife & I flew to Seattle, made the deal and drove, camped home to No WI. Looking forward to a great summer camping season after last years ‘shit show’.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What Do YOU Look For When Buying A Bus? FAQ Reply with quote

For me the deal breaker is the frame or rear torsion bar assembly in poor rusted out condition. Those are hard to fix and equal years of neglect. Floors, body panels, door panels, etc can be replaced fairly easily as can brakes, engine rebuild, etc. It just costs money and more importantly, time.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: