Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

003 Autobox drop and maintenance questions.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: 003 Autobox drop and maintenance questions. Reply with quote

Last spring I dropped my 003 automatic transmission to clean it up, change fluids, etc. I also used the opportunity to paint the underside of the bus, repair heater tubes, wiring...

I have had no issues with it. It has about 150,000 miles on it.

It was a crusty pig. I gave it a good cleaning and dropped the pans.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ATF was bright red as it has been changed fairly recently. The differential fluid was a slightly darker red and has not been changed in the 30 years I have owned the bus and maybe never. Both were pretty clean. The red differential fluid made me wonder whether ATF was getting into it except that I have never had to top up ATF ever, the diff vent was dry and the transmission has always performed well. It does leak a little around the TQ seal, which I will be rplacing. I have no idea what color original diff fluid is supposed to be. I know it is usually green or some dark color these days.

I am wondering about the parking lock and if it can be tested with the transmission out of the car. With the gear selector in park, I can still spin the axle flanges. Are they supposed to lock when the parking lock is engaged. I'm wondering if I dislodged something because I tipped the transmission vertically, nose up to replace the pans. I made sure the pump shaft stayed in place.

I also have some issues with the flex plate. It has three metal rivets on one edge that interfere with a gallery plug. I think they are triggers for the tdc sensor. I would grind them down or remove them except that DPR machine did a race balance and I don't want to mess it up. I could also grind down the gallery plug a little. Any thoughts.

Lastly, I need to figure out a way to lock the flexplate for torquing the bolts. A piece of angle iron with a couple holes bolted to the flexplate would do it, but I'm worried that bolting it to the case would bend the flexplate. Anyone of a photo of a good setup for this.

As Always, thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: