Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

buggy project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

So apparently it's been 7 years since I posted about my buggy. I'm the best at getting a project to 90% and then moving on to a new another.

This year I'm trying to wrap up loose ends. Pulled the buggy back into the shop hoping to have it street legal by end of summer.

All I need to finish is legal stuff. Wipers/ mount seats. Need to make a "roll bar" to fasten the seat belts.

And then the paper work. Inspection.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

I just took a quick look at your last page. Nice buggy, has potential.

Are you still going to run that exhaust in front of the type 3 fan? My honest opinion is if you go with the system in the last picture you will cook the engine even with the wrap. I cannot think of a worse combination. You need to either change to an upright fan or go to an "over the top" system like Johnny low cash or a Buggy dual system(some are better than others).

This comes from some temperature testing I did on my Buggy with a stock Bus cooling system drawing air in just like your type 3 fan does. This is working well for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

Well here's how it sits as of today.

Punch list of things to do are

---Bend the roll bar. I've got a 12ft piece of 2" tube 1/8" thick to bend. Currently grinding out the 1 1/2 pipe die from the harbor friegh kinker to 2" tube and will try the upper clamp mods as well as fill with sand to make the bends. If that doesn't work then it's off to a metal shop with proper tube benders.

---Mount seat belts. Need to bend and mount roll bar to mount shoulder belt.

---Get wipers working again. Only because I have to
So I can get passed inspection. Seem completely useless in a converterable buggy but whatever. They sorta worked before, now not as much. I tore into the motor and I think I just got a bad armature. It needs help starting. Then works fine.

---replace tinted windshield with actuall safety glass. Not a big deal. Just need to take it to a local glass shop.

--- mirrors. I've got a pair of clamp on mirrors to mount to the windshield frame and a rear view.

--- finish rear bumper and mount license plate frame with light.

---finish mounting the miata seats. They are "bolted" down right now, but I've got them sitting on washers as shims to get them set right. Need to pull the seats and make some mounts based off the heights of the washers. Weld them in place and re herculiner the mounts. Oh ya, bed liner is a huge PITA to clean.

After that should be good to go. Lights all work great. Found those cragers a few years ago. Fronts are perfect. Need to find wider ones for the rear but that's low priority for now.

I've got some cannon exhaust setups coming
Not a fan of the look.

Are back up lights required?
shermer-high
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

How do you know the windshield is not safety glass? My windshield is tinted safety glass, the tint is between the layers of glass. Either way windshields are cheap and new glass is so clear compared to old glass.
Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

I cant tell if it is or not. No markings on it. But I'm pretty sure here in washington state you cant have tint on the windshield.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

Dual cannon exhausts do not work well with single barrel dual carbs at idle and the lower RPM range. In your case you have very little choice of exhaust because of the fan position if you cannot fabricate your own system. I see you have a set coming but if I were in your position I would have shopped around and bought the system with the longest primary pipes available. That will help a lot to mitigate the imbalance they cause and bring back some of the lost low end torque.

In my case I paired the front cylinders together and the backs together instead of the sides together that conventional cannons do. Made all the difference in the world.

With the cannons the hot air will be mostly confined to the outer edges of the slipstream, the fan will draw from the cool air coming over the tranny and out of the wheel wells over the top of the engine. Some warm air will come from under the engine too and mix in but I found it to only raise the temperature maybe 6 or 8 degrees above ambient at the most. In any case a little rough running is much preferable to cooking the engine. Just tell everyone about the hairy cam you put in it!! Wink
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

Hey! Nice to see another local Buggy project back on track. Mine hasn't sat as long as yours, but I too have the goal of having mine street legal sometime this year... and yours is even more "put together" than mine!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

Perhaps we need a PNW kick each other in the ass thread! Rolling Eyes

It has progressed a little since this photo, the body went on after that, now off again for wiring. Front suspension and brakes have been updated.

NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: buggy project Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Perhaps we need a PNW kick each other in the ass thread! Rolling Eyes

Haha, right? I blame it on the weather. Rarely do I feel like working on a project after work when its miserable outside. The rest of this week is looking pretty good though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: