Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Warthog
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Thanks y’all!

Now for even more good news, my meager The Thing Shop order arrived & their top latches are awesome. Just what I need to replace those foot locker latches with.

Then comes the bad news...

They too were installed with rivets, I’ll spare y’all the profanity laced, nay, thirty minute tirade of back to back expletives as I drilled out the rivets only to find that the center one was drilled through the original threads while the others were drilled just to the outside of the original holes. Brick wall
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can also see if you look closely, I have some serious rust repair work to address on the top frame.

While contemplating how to unphuque what was done, I decided to grind off the res of the rivets & then drill & tap them effectively turning them into Nutserts.

Since I started with the side that would pop loose when the vehicle hit a bump, I decided to leave the other side alone for now.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Today’s misadventures involved checking to see what of the electrical system worked. Well, not much. I have low beams, I have brake lights, I have rear running lights, one back up light, and, well... not much else. Hey, maybe replacing this bad fuse might solve everything. Rolling Eyes

Ow, crap, that got hot & blew before I got my thumb off the fuse. Evil or Very Mad

Alright, let’s open this turkey up & start tracing it out.

Hey, at least I can do this from the comfort of the front seat & not sprawled out over the front fender while in a half twist to access the rat’s nest like in a Ghia.

Fortunately I opened this thing up, the main wire from the headlight switch to the fuse panel was pinched between body & the access panel screw.(you can just see the kink in the wire just above the end of the turn signal stalk.)

There were several other wires poorly routed so that they were between the panel & its pivot point.

Ima gonna have to deal with the lawn tractor style ignition switch in the dash also but until then, I just gotta sort out what I got. So I removed a wire here, plugged a new fuse in, plugged the wire back up, POP, sh#%. Remove another wire, reroute a few more, replace the fuse, ok... pull the hazard switch, click, click, POP, dammit. Put in another fuse, turn on the right turn signal.... nothin, turn on the left, watch ALL the lights on the dash get bright & dim with the corresponding click, click, click, POP.

Hey, I’m starting a collection.

You know, it looks like a .22 round will fit right in there. Razz

Hey, what does this button do?!?

Crap, that’s apparently the on board fire suppression system.

Push the button & it douses the back of the cluster & all of the wires with washer fluid.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
flat4Imp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but the "on board fire suppressor" has me laughing out loud... Laughing
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

This thread is just awesome.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

flat4Imp wrote:
I'm sorry, but the "on board fire suppressor" has me laughing out loud... Laughing

Thanks, I’m glad that I can keep it humorous. Cool

aquavette wrote:
This thread is just awesome.

Thank you, it’s always funnier when it happens to someone else. Laughing

Today, hoping for a break, I went straight to the other end of the problematic circuits & after peering through the front lenses.... hot diggity dam, maybe it’s only the wrong bulbs. Shocked

Not only were the bulbs wrong but the side running light bulbs were MIA.

So I tried to remove said bulbs & they refused. I tried pushing down & twisting, then wiggling them side to side & twisting some more, to the point that I noticed that I was moving the whole car back & forth by a piece of glass clenched between my thumb & forefinger. Then I thought “Hey dumbass, this ain’t gonna go well if you continue.”, so I grabbed a pair of pliers, shattered the bulb & grabbed the base instead.

Once out, EUREKA! That’s gotta be it.

I cleaned the contacts & then tried to install new bulbs but these bases are aftermarket & were not quite sized properly but with a few adjustments with the pliers, the bulbs fit & hey, whattayaknow, they blinky-blinky with no report at the end. Dancing

While the hood was open, the lack of hood seal irritated me so I ripped one off the back of a Jetta & worked it onto the lip of the body.

Eh, not quite long enough, but it’s better than it use-ta-was.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

The only thing keeping me from driving this beast at this point is the lack of an air filter. After searching through the Samba classifieds, I found one with the mounting bracket & contacted the seller & the deal was made, thanks Brett! It obviously had been off the vehicle for some time & had a bit of damage from being moved around so I started trying to straighten it up a bit.

First off was the various hose connections.

So I found some sockets the were a close fit & worked them in & wallowed them in the openings until straighter until I cold get the largest one I could into the fitting & then plannished out the creases.

Whaddaya know, VW engineers musta known that a Torque Buddy would (should) be in in every enthusiasts toolbox. Laughing

Once they were all straight...

I then tried to remove the lower bowl but found that the lip had been beaten up too.

So I slowly worked that back into shape

Hell, while I was at it, I worked out several other dents in the lower bowl.

I then filled the bowl with oil & mounted it in place.

Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

WHAT!!!! No rivets!!!! Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Glamour shot!

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Awesome work. Are you planning to replace the missing warm air flapper?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Glamour shot!

It is too, belongs on a poster
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Are you planning to replace the missing warm air flapper?

Sure, you got one?

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Glamour shot!

It is too, belongs on a poster

Thank you sir, how’s about another?

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Semper_Dad wrote:

Sure, you got one?

I may have the flapper but the not plastic bushing. That didn’t survive the fire. It may be easier to salvage one from a non-usable air cleaner. While you’re at it you should pull the temperature sensor and flapper diaphragm off the donor as well.
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

What size tyres are on the Marathons chap?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Semper_Dad wrote:

Sure, you got one?

I may have the flapper but the not plastic bushing. That didn’t survive the fire. It may be easier to salvage one from a non-usable air cleaner. While you’re at it you should pull the temperature sensor and flapper diaphragm off the donor as well.

I wonder if the flap is the same as one on a ‘70 beetle, if so, I do have one, if not, I would be interested in yours.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

CHARLIE-DONT-SURF wrote:
What size tyres are on the Marathons chap?

205/75/15 General Grabber front, 215/75/15 BFG KO2 rear.

Fair warning, the Generals are pretty sticky all things considered but they do wear fast, I got about 45,000 out of the last set.

The KO2s are a harder compound which, when combined with the Grabbers up front, make for an entertaining, drift happy combo, especially in the wet.

I’m still getting used to this on this vehicle since it’s got a higher roll center than the Ghiapet.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Alright, Friday I decided to start putting this beast through it’s paces so I filled the tank (woohoo, the fuel gauge works!) and then began rowing through the gears & put about 120 miles on it. Saturday morning, I put another 25 miles on it to go back to the shop & I installed a shitty H4 light that I had laying around & traced out why the dimmer switch wasn’t responding only to find out that a little plastic nub was broken off, at least I can short the switch with a house key to actuate the switch until I can repair or replace it.

Then I went back home, took the better half to lunch... and then had to get gas again.

I managed to put another 130 miles on it that evening, that’s when I discovered that the crappy H4 opted not to work on high or low, eh, gotta be a ground issue. So I found the ground lug & no, not the issue.

Sunday, I filled it up again & put another 140 miles or so on it & noticed that the beast was becoming territorial, leaving its mark wherever it went. Today, I investigated the oil leak...

(Yeah, still working on plugging those last few holes in the tin. Rolling Eyes )

Popped an oil sender Confused why’d I go through all the trouble to paint this?!?

Anyway, I traced the headlight fault back to the connections between the switch & fuse panel, thus the reason that high & low beam weren’t working on that side so I cleaned & coated all of the terminals with dielectric grease, suhweeet I gots headlights again.

After installing another sending unit, I connected the vacuum lines from the manifold to the thermostat to the heat riser actuator & moved back to the front & installed an undamaged dust cap on the front left so I could get the speedometer working.

Hah, whaddaya know, fuel gauge works, speedometer works, odometer works, cluster back lighting works... we’re shitttin’ in high cotton now. Razz

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Still having issues with the turn signals & running lights on the front, today’s task was to remove the assemblies & sort out the wiring.

I had gotten both of the side running lights to work but neither of the front ones were getting power. Furthermore, the driver side turn signal was illuminating the lower wattage filament so I knew that, at the very least, the wire to that bulb was on the wrong lead.

However...

Huh, I wonder why them thar fuses kept poppin?!?

Me no thinky that them brown wires are ‘spoda go there.

Since the aftermarket assemblies were as pathetic as they were, I scrounged up a decent set out of the parts stash & wired them up & got them functioning as they should.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

After driving a few days, I’ve noticed the typical raw fuel smell after a left hand turn scenario & have the fuel stains to prove it.

So let’s see what might be the cause.

Well ain’t that fuggin glorious? Rolling Eyes A hole that someone didn’t try plugging with a damned rivet.

Gee, I wonder why one would decide to vent the filler neck?

Oh well, opting to not pull it apart to weld up the hole, I plugged it with another bolt & a few crush washers until I could fix it properly.

And then it looped a bit of hose from one of the vent tubes until I could get some more brake line to make new vent lines.

After that, I removed the wiper motor to see if I could get it working.

The armature was seized but after a little coaxing & some lube on both the armature & the wiper pivot, I got it to respond. And just like sneaking up & waking a stray cat, it growled, it screeched, it spit, hell, I think it even tried to bite me. Laughing I finally decided that I wasn’t gonna win this battle so I reassembled it & stuffed it back in place until I can source another, let’s hear it for RainEx.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: